iifym & crossfit

Options
fiestyflower1
fiestyflower1 Posts: 14 Member
So, I've been doing crossfit for quite some time. I fell off the wagon for a couple months and started slowly getting my strength back..mainly endurance (ugh!).

Do any of you do iifym diet? If so, how do you track your calories burned?

Today is day 1 of iifym for me.

Replies

• alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM but I don't track calories burned. I am using working against gravity (google their program) and my coach assigns me macros for days I crossfit and days I don't. I in return send them a weekly update my macros each day, my weight each day (they leverage a weekly average) and photos each week and how I felt throughout the week and they then take this information and adjust my macros based on the results and how I'm feeling. It does require me to be diligent about weighing and measuring but I'm seeing really great results down in body fat/weight but no loss of strength and my gymnastics movements are feeling better. I still eat pretty clean, compared to pics of poptarts you see in social media with IIFYM, but its nice to be flexible and never really feel the need to have a cheat day because I just fit a treat in when I want one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm doing Eat to Perform, and before that just tracked macros/flexible dieted, which I think is basically IIFYM, although I don't call it that. For me pre-ETP it was easiest just to use the TDEE method (where you include the average workout calories for the week upfront rather than eating different amounts when you worked out) and a custom goal. Since workout calories were already included in my goal I logged exercise as one calorie.

Now with ETP I am eating less on rest days, but how I do that is log a standard 500 calories (the difference between a rest day and others) when I work out and then add 125 to my carbs in my head on those days (I note my intended macros in my notes: they are 125 g protein, 60 g fat, and 100/225 g carbs, depending on whether it's a workout day). Anyway, you probably don't need to know that unless you prefer/find it easier to log exercise.

(I also try to mostly eat mostly nutrient dense foods, but I also like fitting in some ice cream or chocolate and focusing on the overall diet and trying different things like, with ETP, how white rice works as a post WO meal or some such.)
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was just going to add I found other crossfitters doing IIFYM by following Nicole Capurso (regional competitor in mid atlantic) on instagram. She also has a really great blog about how she switched from Paleo to IIFYM and is leaner but stronger. Check it out https://nicolecapurso.wordpress.com/
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do iifym, open diary, I'm currently doing a 12 week cut my maintnence cals are ~2600. I'm cutting at 2200 rest days 200/90/130, 2400 gym days 275/80/130. Loosing about .5#/wk. I also sometimes do an even higher carb day about once every two weeks which leaves me wicked hungry but helps weight to drop. I like the Nicole c article ....but. ..getting as close to tour macros everyday as she suggests doesn't seem necessary. Also are you in the eat train progress group the have a bunch of good articles about what iifym is and what it isn't.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just started last Monday - I dont track calories burned just what I eat - Friend me and you can see my dairy if you like - I have shorted mostly Carbs on days I dont work out. Down 2 lbs after week 1. Here was an article my coach sent me that i found helpful. http://www.doyoueven.com/2013/01/iifympart2/