Introductions

Options
DeniseMarSi
DeniseMarSi Posts: 68 Member
Please tell us about yourself, and if you think this challenge is do-able. Do you have any suggestions? Have you ever cut out sugar before?

Replies

• DeniseMarSi
    DeniseMarSi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't really introduce myself. I am 42, weighing the highest I have in my entire life, and diabetes and heart disease runs very strong in my family, along with obesity. I am getting to the point, where I need to try something and figure out what works for me. Because doing nothing, and just letting everything slide, is not working... I keep eating more and more sweets and junk food. I mentioned this before, but when I did a low carb diet years ago, I did lose weight fairly easily, and felt better overall but it was hard to maintain. I've looked into Overeaters Anonymous, and haven't had the guts to commit myself to it, or go to a meeting. I've been sitting the fence, especially because looking at it from an addiction point of view, is somewhat confusing to me, although it makes some sense. I know some people posting about being abstinent from sugar, seems so impossible to do, but I can understand why and how it could be a life saver! But I wrestle with the idea that I love sweets, especially ice cream. It seem so much like punishment when you have to give up something you enjoy. But I know it is obviously the idea of just constantly overdoing the sweets that really gets me in trouble. Can there be such thing as moderation? I'm wanting that rather than the idea that an alcoholic for instance, really can't take another drink.. Is it the same for sugar? If so, what forms? All forms? And food is something we need and natural to crave, which is also confusing. I don't know I'm just rambling.
    I just know that if I don't do something now and soon, I won't live a long life, and yet I still don't want to give up the foods I like. I have a 19 year old daughter and a 3 year old son, who I'd like to see grow up and be around for them as long as I can be. I'd like to feel comfortable sitting in a plane seat again, and I'd like to go skiing next Winter. Why aren't these enough good reasons? (So this makes me feel like, yes, it must be an addiction to some extent).