First HM upcoming

Options
jemsurf
jemsurf Posts: 168 Member
Hello all,

My first half marathon is Saturday. I've trained well and am very excited to finally accomplish a big goal for me, (and looking forward to many more halfs.) Any last minute advice from all you seasoned runners?

Replies

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Don't get too into the atmosphere that you go off too fast. You've done the training and if you hit a rough patch just remember the cold, wet winter miles you've done and it won't feel so bad. Also remember to smile as you cross the finish so the photo looks good ;)

Best of luck and enjoy it!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Start out S L O W, enjoy it, don't start too fast, don't be tempted into trying new foods or new running apparel, start out slow, get a good nights sleep on Thursday night and start out slow.

You get to do the first one once, so make sure you enjoy it. Don't go off so fast, that the latter stages of the race are miserable. You want to get over the finish with a smile on your face. The 2nd one you can go out and smash that time.

So in case it is not clear start out slow, your adrenaline will have you flying, you will go out too fast unless YOU control it.

Have fun
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Some off the top of my head

-Don't binge on carbs the night before. Just a normal meal that is slanted more towards higher carbs.

-Get there early. For real.

-Porta-potties are your friend when you get there. Go and use them before you think you have to or else you will be stuck in a line for 30 minutes.

-Enjoy the nervousness/anxious feeling. They are all part of the experience and it's awesome.

-Buy some extra stuff for yourself at the expo.

-Relax. Just relax.

-Find the right corral so you don't get trampled or get stuck behind people going too slow. Fight the urge to go out to fast, everyone thinks they are superman the first couple miles then *kitten* gets real shortly after.

-Lay out all your stuff the night before. Write down a list and check it twice.

-Wave at people, give high fives to kids. Keep everything positive. An elevated mood will help more than you can ever realize and makes the overall experience even better.

and

-This is your first half marathon. You will not win it. You will most likely not win any age group. You are not going to be in the Olympics from this race time. You have no previous time to beat. Any expectations you have are self-imposed. Just run and have fun, there is no reason to race it because you are only competing against the distance itself your first time out.

Have fun
  • jemsurf
    jemsurf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Great advice!!!!

I have ran many 10K's and I learned real fast that starting out slow is key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will never be a fast runner nor win any age group. Beating my own PR is enough to keep me motivated and keep me running.

I've also heard that the first 2 miles are usually tough, but that I will settle into my routine and find my rhythm. Is there truth to that?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    jemsurf wrote: »
    Great advice!!!!

I've also heard that the first 2 miles are usually tough, but that I will settle into my routine and find my rhythm. Is there truth to that?

Only to go slow enough, not to blow up later. depending on how many people and the width of the course, getting going at the start can be frustrating but given you have done 10ks you should be an old hand at it.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I agree on having to find my rhythm and the first two miles being tougher, but what really helps me is to warm up before the race starts and not doing this on the first two miles. I try and warm up by very slowly jogging back and forth and by lunges. Best of luck! Stef.