Protein supplements and afib

Options
cmpleonard
cmpleonard Posts: 15 Member
I have afib that is caused soley by diet and if I'm dehydrated. Over the years have learned what bothers my heart. Caffeine, red meat, chemicals like aspartame, and a few other things. Lately, immediately after drinking a protein shake, my heart has jumped into afib and stayed there for hours. I have tried several different shakes and quite honestly in tired of spending the money on expensive shakes just to find out I can't drink them. Does anyone else have experience with this? Do you know what it is on the shake that might be causing it so that maybe I can look at the ingredients and find a shake that doesn't have it? I weight lift every day and my tiny stomach doesn't let me eat enough protein food to get the protein needed for muscle recovery!!
I'm always looking for new friends. Feel free to send me a friend request ;)

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It's probably the artifical sweetner, you did say chemicals like aspartame do it. So I would think whatever artifical sweetner in the shake, even if it's not caller aspartame, is probably the problem. If you haven't tried the Syntrax Nectar ones, go online and order a sample pack. Much cheaper that way to try flavors and see if it bothers you.
  • juneaubug
    juneaubug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have afib, so I can't help you there.

But I also lift weights and use SFH recovery protein for right after workouts. They use whey from grass fed cows, and the sweetener is stevia. It's not cheap, but the ingredients are quality. You can use code Whole9 for a 10% discount if you decide to try it. You might be able to call them and explain the situation and see if they would send you a sample packet to try?
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Go to a health food store and see if you can get unsweetened and then you can add your own stuff in it for taste or one without artificial sweetener...maybe sweetened by stevia...has that bothered you?
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been using gene pro protein and I swear by it. Completely unflavored and actually does pretty much dissolve in whatever you put it in. 98 cal for a tbsp scoop, 30 G protein. It has nothing weird in it either- no flavoring, so you could add to whatever. I agree with what others said, prob artificial sweeteners
  • cmpleonard
    cmpleonard Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely going to explore some different options. Definitely going to check out the gene pro!
  • leraejoy
    leraejoy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know someone that uses protein powderin place of flour .i thought it wasnt suppose to ne heayed above 150 degrees. Please help
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I also have Afib and have had no trouble with protein drinks. But I'm also allergic to dairy, so I haven't tried the most common brands. I now use Jay Robb's "Egg White Protein - Vanilla" - it is sweetened with stevia.

Good luck. I eat protein shakes daily or weekly.

Best wishes,
    Paula

ps: I love heating up protein shakes - with the egg brands, you can get it to a pudding-like consistency. With chocolate flavors, you can make it taste like hot cocoa.
  • Vauxin
    Vauxin Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can't help with the afib, but Optimum Nutrition has a all natural whey protein as do other companys that are popular in the weight lifting world.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Get a plain unflavored whey protein isolate that only contains a little soy lecithin to keep it from caking. Now Foods makes one and so does Unjury protein. You can mix the unflavored whey isolate into oatmeal, or milk, or soup or whatever you are drinking. There's no law that says you have to get your protein from 'shakes', pre-prepared or from powder. The whey is just a source of protein, it doesn't have to be a smoothie substitute. There is a sweetener I like call Lakanto, made from monk fruit. Available online from Raw Food World or you can buy on Amazon. It tastes and measures just like real sugar and has a glycemic index of 0. I use the brown sugar version. It tastes like Light Brown Sugar.
  • hanchiumd
    hanchiumd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do have AFIB and I do observe that eating a lot of protein seems to trigger it. I don't use artificial sweeteners or even natural no calorie sweeteners. So I think the problem is related directly to the amount of protein eaten. This tends to happen in the evening when I am eating the most protein. I suspect a threshold effect. Under 40 grams seems to be okay, but 50+ in a sitting then a dinner with protein can be a problem.

I usually just feel tired and bloated, but then I observe that the heart is not in rhythm. I would suggest backing off the protein some. Even for body building you probably don't need quite that much. 1 gram per pound of body weight is probably more than enough and probably 0.8 grams/pound will do the trick. Experiment. If your protein drink is cold, that can be a problem too. Some people find cold drinks trigger an episode. Good luck!
  • davianrt66
    davianrt66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is interesting... I never thought that foods could cause this. I don't have afib but I have a strong family history of it and I experience frequent palpitations. I have noticed with caffeine they are definitely worse. Sometimes, I don't know what causes them. I never thought that other foods could do this. Now I will have to pay more attention!! Thanks for the info!