Bit the bullet and going to see an endocrinologist

Options
Alliwan
Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
Ok. I'm going to do it.

I am scared they are going to blow me off too and not take me seriously but you guys have convinced me to at least try to find one that specializes in all the craziness that is going on. Of course when I call around, the girls answering the phones say 'oh they can handle that' no matter what I ask. No every endocrinologist has a good working knowledge about PCOS and IR and thyroid and cholesterol weirdness, etc. None of them will do a phone interview or anything so I just have to schedule with one and try it out I guess. That makes me so nervous.

Ive been sticking to my calorie goal, which is below my bmr calculations because...PCOS...and sticking to 20g carbs a day and still the weightloss is very slow, non-existent or as has been the last 4 days, I've gained. So I guess it is time to try to find out if i have more wrong with me than I realize.

So what do i need to know about going? What questions should I ask? Are there thyroid questionaires I can fill out and bring in? I dont have a thyroid problem I know of but some symptoms I have. Just trying to figure out what I need to know to be prepared and get the best possible help I can.

TIA for the help and support.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    No advice, but hugs and good thoughts your way. :)
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

If I was you I would write a list of the symptoms you have and take these to the doctor. Sometimes, once you are in front of the doctor you can forget lots of things and something important may be forgotten.

I'm not sure of your history or symptoms. However, I would ensure they take your bloods and check for all the thyroid related things such as TSH, free T4, free T3 and thyroid antibodies. You say you are having trouble losing weight, have you looked into Hashimoto's disease? Which is thyroid related.

I found this questionnaire: http://www.thyroid.ca/thyroid_questionnaire.php

Hope this helps! x
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would make a list of all the questions. Most endo's will do a general getting to know you at the beginning of your appointment. I would ask some very pointed questions and be assertive saying you will not take "you're not trying hard enough," "I don't know," or "that's just part of being a woman/having PCOS/being insulin resistant" as an answer. If he or she balks, you'll know that person is not right for you. You want a warrior doctor essentially, willing to fight by your side to kick this crap in the head...

I've had three different endos before finding a decent one. The one I have now is the only one who asked about my comprehensive history, asked about my concerns BEFORE any previous diagnosis, asked about what testing I had done, what I suspected, and took me seriously.

And he is a male doctor who is willing to treat the symptoms, knowing full well PCOS jacks up your bloodwork and doesn't always show a true picture. He's willing to back OTC supplements within reason, and is flexible with trying new things... If you can't find a doctor willing to take you seriously, cash in your chips. You deserve to be treated as a partner in your diagnosis and treatment options. If the doctor tells you there's only one way to treat something, I'd frankly be willing to walk out right them.

The human body is a mysterious machine that never works exactly the same in two different people... SO trust your gut and ask the hard questions. if the doctor isn't willing to recognize your struggles and frustration....that's not YOUR doctor... My doctor was willing to learn as much from me as I am from him!

Hugs and good luck!

P.S. There is a site somewhere that lists out endocrinologists with training/experience in PCOS, as well as subjects they should have studied and such.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ^^^^

What Knit said. The right doctor is worth their weight in gold.
  • myuncutworld
    myuncutworld Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just went to an endocrinologist. She was wonderful. her main concern, wasn't so much the PCOS but my weight. She ran a lot of tests and I'm seeing her again in 2 months.
    I hope you have a wonderful appointment.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thx for the advice and the questionaire. I gotta go thru all the paperwork and the dr will take a new patient in about two months but I've started the search.

Why are we so nervous to contradict a doctor? I am running scenarios thru my head where I will be ok saying no thank you and walking out if they tell me I am not working hard enough or it is just the way it is but OMG that is scary.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    Thx for the advice and the questionaire. I gotta go thru all the paperwork and the dr will take a new patient in about two months but I've started the search.

Why are we so nervous to contradict a doctor? I am running scenarios thru my head where I will be ok saying no thank you and walking out if they tell me I am not working hard enough or it is just the way it is but OMG that is scary.

Because they are supposed to be professionals, and therefore experts. If you're telling an expert to go stuff it, there is something wrong somewhere!

Also, we as women are unfortunately groomed by society to ignore our instincts. I have to fight just to treat myself decently some days. I feel stupid, not good enough, obviously obtuse, or any number of things when talking about myself and my health.

Also, we're desperate and we feel hopeless and broken...

And because of all this, we tend to doubt ourselves and our convictions, because they're supposed to be experts, right? So we must not know anything.

But, in our hearts, we know all that is crap. So we just have to get all our ducks in a row!

HUGS. Find those big girl panties, Alliwan!