Entering a Duathlon!

Options
Fredhatfield2
Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
Just bought a new Trek Series 1.1, and am entering a duathlon on May 30th! Forrest Hill, MD... Anyone else doing duathlons over the next few months? Anyone want to share past experiences?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to do one this year, if I can find a local event that fits in the schedule.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've done quite a few. The main thing is to get your body used to running after the cycling part. Going from running to cycling never seemed an issue to me but after cycling the running felt like I had rubber legs.

Make sure you do plenty of brick training to get your body used to the changes. Also practice your transitions as they can eat up a lot of time.

How long is the event? The short events aren't too bad, they are often around 2mile/20mile/2mile. I've done a couple of 10k/100k/10k and quite a few 5k/50k/5k races. I find the 5/50/5 the hardest as you're going flat-out the whole time instead of pacing like the 10/100/10.

Good luck and enjoy, they are fun events.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As with any race, especially multi-discipline races, the key is pacing yourself. It's easy to overcook an early leg making later leg(s) a struggle. Do a few run/bike/run workouts and pay attention to your effort levels to get a sense of what you can maintain for the event.
  • Fredhatfield2
    Options
    thanks guys. It's going to be 2 miles/10 miles/2 miles. Will be doing more brick training. I kind of already do as I cycle to and from work, and run after work. I just don't get back on the bike to go home too quickly. So I'll be cuttign down on the transition time.
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had my best transition time when I wore my running shoes for the whole event.
  • Fredhatfield2
    Options
    I had my best transititon time when I wore my running shoes for the whole event.

Thats my gameplan as well. Thanks. Good to hear that it worked for you.