getting ripped

Options
jbjb11
jbjb11 Posts: 3 Member
I am slim build - I have been working out and eating right 95% of the time since Oct -14. I have lost many inches and lbs. Now I can't really afford to lose more- I NEED to build muscle badly. I can totally see/feel the muscle underneath skin but not ripped like- I am 40 and totally motivated to DO THIS. I workout at home weight and cardio.(no gym membership and don't want one) I think my problem is food- I need to change what I eat-when I eat to build more mass- I have NO CLUE how...

Replies

• jbjb11
    jbjb11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 109lbs and 5'6
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have a nosy at the 'beginners guide to bulking' stickie in the gaining section, there's a link to a great site on there with all the info you need.

I'd just add that, instead of worrying about what to eat, I'd just EAT at this point - 109 is seriously underweight for your height.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you plan to build muscle mass through diet alone...You need to incorporate some strength training.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Eat and lift! I'm an inch shorter than you and have 106 lbs of lean body mass based according to BodPod. You should be able to see every muscle at that weight/height. But like 3laine75 said, you are underweight. Focus on getting those calories in! Skip the cardio and focus on the weights if you want to build muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Figure out what your calorie maintenance is (if you don't already know)
    Add 250 calories on top of that (for now)
    Pick a progressive lifting program

Eat all the things
    Lift all the things
    Rest all the things

Lather
    Rinse
    Repeat.

Aim for 4-6 months. Under 3 months is going to be not as productive- the shortest I would go would be 3. Most people get really uncomfortable around 3 and have great gains between that 4-5 range.

Be diligent with your tracking- its SO incredible easy to under eat and miss- it's incredible hard eating over eating for long periods of time. It's almost more important to track while gaining than it is for losing.

Buy some stretchy pants/comfie easy dresses.

Tell your SO what you're doing and tell them to be patient with you- because you're gonna have some bad days doubting yourself. Stay the course. Bulking requires full confidence and blind faith that what you are doing will work. Stay the course.

Then repeat the process in reverse- calorie deficit- lifting. perhaps some added cardio if you like. Lose the fat- look fabulous.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7 and about 140lbs heading for 130, eating at a small deficti, but I lift weights, which you could do a simple routine at home, to tone, and when I get to 130 Im eating more, as Jo says, and heading back up to 140, but I will be leaner and more toned because I will eat properly and I lift.
    The whole bulking thing is not easy, I got it quite wrong for a year, only since Christmas have I started to feel comfortable with what I am doing. But I know it works.