Hand Pain?!

Options
Does anyone else's hands hurt when performing snatches? I find the meaty part of my hand underneath the thumb and the small space between thumb and index finger hurts a lot. I did them two days ago and it feels almost bruised. It aches during WODs too. Not sure if it's just the wide grip im not overly used to? Been doing CF for almost 4 months now.
Would any sort of taping help?

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you hook grip? This is where your middle finger overlaps your thumb to lock the bar into place
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it might just be your getting used the bar and building up callouses.
  • GabriellaVioletta
    GabriellaVioletta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Now that you mention it MUALaurenClark you're right - I'm not doing that grip!! I remember being taught it and hating it but I will give it a go again. Hopefully it helps!! @bostonwolf - haha yes the callouses are forming!! :)
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I know exactly how you feel. The first week of doing that grip feels so unnatural and weird. But after a week of doing it, you'll love it and will never be able to lift without doing it again. Give it an honest shot for a week or two and see if that helps any
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^what she said. You will adjust to it very quickly.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The meaty part of your hand beneath the thumb is a muscle so yeah it can ache if you aren't used to using it much. If I think back, I remember it cramping sometimes but that hasn't happened in a long time.

Hookgrip is great, you start forming callouses on the inside of your thumb :D
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    So my forearms are still a bit sore after our WOD of EMOTM 20 handstands then knee ups. Mainly from doing the handstands. They stretch my forearms a bit more than they are comfortable with. Going to do them more as I think it's the main thing limiting my rack position. Might as well get stronger while I'm stretching.
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Mine hurt until I formed callouses.
  • GabriellaVioletta
    GabriellaVioletta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah I am gonna try the weird thumb grip and see if that helps. @Inkratlet mine does feel like a sort of cramp haha
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Hook grip will help, but give yourself time to get used to it. Use it for lower weights and warmups when you can to build up callouses and strength.
  • macydawn23
    macydawn23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hook grip definitely takes some time to get used to... there were times I thought my thumb nail was going to fall off. Also, mess around with your grip width. See what feels comfortable to you, and make sure your shoulders are engaged the right way. Sometimes that helps me :)