What Type of Vegetarian Are You?

Options
In researching a dietary lifestyle choice upon starting MyFitnessPal I came across the Top 6 Types of Vegetarians:

1. Pescatarian (also spelled pescetarian)
The word “pescatarian” is occasionally used to describe those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Although the word is not commonly used, more and more people are adopting this kind of diet, usually for health reasons or as a stepping stone to a fully vegetarian diet.

2. Flexitarian/Semi-vegetarian
You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat.

3. Vegetarian (Lacto-ovo- vegetarian)
When most people think of vegetarians, they think of lacto-ovo-vegetarians. People who do not eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish or animal flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products are lacto-ovo vegetarians (“lacto” comes from the Latin for milk, and “ovo” for egg).
• Lacto-vegetarian is used to describe a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, but does eat dairy products.
• Ovo-vegetarian refers to people who do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.

4. Vegan
Vegans do not eat meat of any kind and also do not eat eggs, dairy products, or processed foods containing these or other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin. Many vegans also refrain from eating foods that are made using animal products that may not contain animal products in the finished process, such as sugar and some wines. There is some debate as to whether certain foods, such as honey, fit into a vegan diet.

5. Raw vegan/Raw food diet
A raw vegan diet consists of unprocessed vegan foods that have not been heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius). “Raw foodists” believe that foods cooked above this temperature have lost a significant amount of their nutritional value and are harmful to the body.

6. Macrobiotic
The macrobiotic diet, revered by some for its healthy and healing qualities, includes unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and allows the occasional consumption of fish. Sugar and refined oils are avoided. Perhaps the most unique qualifier of the macrobiotic diet is its emphasis on the consumption of Asian vegetables, such as daikon, and sea vegetables, such as seaweed.

I am experimenting with vegetarianism and currently would classify myself as a "Flexitarian" BUT have decided not to include meat of any type. However, I will eat sustainable wild fish; free range eggs; and the occasional organic dairy product!

Do you fit within any of these categories?

Replies

• hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thank you for creating this group! I've been thinking about going vegetarian again for so long and I hope it'll help to get some insight and help from other people, all in one place.

Right now, I am a Flexitarian, too. I've given being a "full" vegetarian a go some time ago and I'd love to go back. The reason why it is so hard for me is simple: I love chicken and fish! Even some other kinds of meat. But I also love animals so I don't like the thought of them dying so I can eat. On top of that, when I did manage to go veggie for a couple weeks, I noticed that I felt a lot better and I lost weight just by leaving out meat and fish. Even now, I notice a huge difference between days when I eat meat and days when I don't. I just feel like I have so much more energy.

Ultimately, I'd very, very much love to go vegan, too. But that is something I just know I couldn't pull off. Everyone I know who's vegan says it's extremely hard to find things to eat in Germany, and everyone who lives here and is vegan says that for most things, they have to buy ingredients in special shops and / or pay a fortune, something I just wouldn't be able to do. So yeah...maybe sometime in the future but not now.
  • bosuhart
    Options
    Hey - thanks for posting the type of Vegetarian list - I often wondered how it was defined. I'm in group one Pescatarian. I'm sure some of these are not easy to transition to. My daughter was recently diagnosed with Crohns and though they don't know the cause - food is cited as a big contributer. They are seeing trends in developing countries - as those countries develop and start eating more closely to the north american diet the % of Crohns increases. Some also blame refigeration.

Anyway thanks - its a good list.
  • toymart83
    Options
    HAppy flexitarian semi vegetarian
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Im a veganish Vegetarian
  • veggiemodel
    veggiemodel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "Strict" vegetarian, no dairy, no eggs but I still eat honey sometimes... And I eat mostly raw
  • DebRHCP
    DebRHCP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am experimenting with vegetarianism and currently would classify myself as a "Flexitarian" BUT have decided not to include meat of any type. However, I will eat sustainable wild fish; free range eggs; and the occasional organic dairy product!

That sort of describes where I am at right now as I am a fairly new convert. I am slowly modifying my diet and would hope to one day be vegan. I didn't want to put the pressure on myself to change completely over night and set myself up to fail. It takes a while to adjust to a change in diet. It also takes a while to learn recipes and discover foods that you like.
  • Faith2Bfit
    Faith2Bfit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lacto-ovo- vegetarian (for almost a week) I have to say I feel SOOOOO much better in just a short time. I still eat cheese but don't drink milk and Im now trying to make my own almond yogurt. Baby steps to vegan.
  • AmeliamaeRN
    AmeliamaeRN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Flexetarian! I am very new in the vegetarian world. I would like to try to go vegan, at least try it for a month or so, but it is very hard! I am currently day 4 vegetarian, and even that can be tough. Accidently ordered a ceasar salad recently... forgot about the anchovies in the sauce :(

I probably won't stay strictly vegan or vegetarian, but I agree with what another said, that meat from the farm is best. Local, small, farm. But we'll see!! Maybe It wont be as hard as I anticipate!

I'm really glad I found this group!
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this group is still active. I was pescatarian for a year but chose to revert back to a traditional diet due to stress and my past lifestyle. Over the past few years I have been continuing my research and learning more about the vegetarian lifestyle. I have been flexetarian for the past 4 months and have a desire of living a pescatarian lifestyle.
  • Robin_Dennewitz
    Options
    September 16th 2013

Is this group still active? I see it has been several months since anyone posted.:brokenheart:

I sure would like to communicate with others who have chosen to follow a Flexitarian (80% Plant-based products / 20% Animal products) way of eating.

Please feel free to add me as a "Friend". :smile:
  • sunnburst1984
    sunnburst1984 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm back on the pescatarian train after falling off for 1 and a half month. I will eat eggs but it's not very often. I just can't give up the cheese!! :laugh:
  • TheBabyRaider
    TheBabyRaider Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian:smile:
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian :) Love me some seafood!!!
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Right now I would say I am a "flexitarian" transitioning into a pescetarian, as I still have meat products in my house that I am not going to just throw away lol. I have been off and on vegetarian and pescetarian since my teens, and recently decided to go back to it.
  • llbow
    llbow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this group! I am becoming more involved in MFP, even though I have been a member for quite some time. After reading your definitions, I am a "Flexitarian". Due to health issues (Type 2 diabetes and diverticulosis), my husband and I are trying to go vegetarian. Due to the diverticulosis, Vegan would actually benefit me as well. I have a strong support system at home, but am always looking for recipes and for support for those questions that I may have. I have started a blog on here to help keep me on track as well. I am an emotional eater as well, so I think blogging will help with that maybe.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am a flexitarian due to high triglycerides. I was pescatarian for about a year, but have decided to include white meat back into my diet. When I choose to eat meat it is typically chicken, turkey, or fish.