Why Consider Becoming a Vegetarian?

Options
For many individuals who have been vegetarian for some time, this may seem like a somewhat ridiculous question. However, for me, it is a fairly profound one in that my eating habits have always been inconsistent with my philosophical beliefs. Let me try to explain:

I absolutely love ALL animals and consider myself an active and well informed “environmentalist” in the sense that environmentalism is a broad philosophy and social movement regarding concerns for ecological conservation and improvement of the state of the global environment. I also firmly believe in the sentient and emotional abilities ALL animals share and am continually amazed by the amazing yet fragile and fleeting biodiversity our planet encompasses ... and yet for years I blindly enjoyed a BBQ steak, Thanksgiving Turkey, Christmas Roast or Hot Chicken Wings without giving a second thought to the inherent cruelty and self-imposed hypocrisy such an act of needless consumption resulted in.

It is high time I stopped and took more responsibility for my own actions - as such, I am now fully committed to a vegetarian based lifestyle. I still have a lot of 'kinks' to work out, such as the ethics of eating free range eggs and sustainable seafood, but at least I can honestly say I am finally making a sincere effort to change for the better.

How about you, what are your thoughts and perspective of this issue?

Replies

• strong_enough
    strong_enough Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am on day 3 of being a vegetarian. I am really just taking it one day at a time.

I am in the same boat as you it seems. I have always loved animals but always ate meat. I hated the thought of them suffering or hurting. So I have made the decision to stop eating meat. I will take responsebility for my actions.

I am going to work my way through the products at my home and replace them with cruelty free products. Actually I already have cruelty free products at home that I have been buying for a while but now I will make even more of a concious effort to buy that way.

This group seems kinda quiet, are there still a lot of people here and acvtive? i have seen a few posts asking if the group was still active.

I would love some friends who have similar diets.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I chose to be a flexitarian (part-time vegetarian) due to a health concern which has given me high trylicerides. I am to limit the amount of fat in my diet and find that eliminating the majority of meat (especially red meat) has helped me to stay within my goals.