Hello - on a gluten challenge for celiac testing :/

Options
Virginia90
Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hey all. I have been gluten free for about 3 years. During the first 18 months or so, I'd cheat, but finally decided not to because I would just feel so horrible. By going gluten free, I stopped retaining water, my "IBS" went away, my "GERD" went away, my anxiety and depression issues became less severe, my mood swings stabilized, my chronic headaches went away, and the weird rash I had assumed was chronic athlete's foot went away. These things come back when I get glutened, but lately I had been having issues with constipation and diarrhea again, my mood has been kind of "off", and there's just been other things that make me wonder if I'm having other food allergy issues. On Easter I was accidentally glutened, and I had already gotten a referral for an allergist from my doctor. Friday since I was already suffering, I decided to eat gluten and put my body through a "gluten challenge" for the allergy testing I'm going to be doing soon. I know that if I have a wheat allergy or a gluten allergy (which is different from celiac and NCGS), I'll have to eat it for a couple week prior to testing anyway. If my allergy tests aren't for several weeks, I may also talk to the allergist about celiac testing. The crazy thing is how miserable I feel, but knowing that I used to feel like this all the time and thought it was just normal...I can't wait for this to be over and I go gluten free again, but I feel like I need answers so my medical history is more complete for my kids, and because if I am diagnosed with celiac, I'll know I need to become stricter in the house than I've been (currently I still share a toaster with my husband - he buys and eats wheat bread, pizza, burritos, etc. so I'm sure I get trace cross-contaminated, and I eat stuff that's "processed in the same facility" because it doesn't generally cause obvious outward reactions). I don't want to change everything up though again if it isn't strictly necessary. Has anyone else done a gluten challenge for testing? How did you manage? I think the most frustrating part for me is the weight gain. I've gotten to 131lbs, which is only about 6-10lbs within my goal, but literally overnight I went up to 141 and have been resting around 139-142 ever since. My fingers feel like sausages though and my face is ridiculously swollen, so I know I'm retaining a ton of water to cope with the inflammation. =(

Replies

• Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hello. Your situation sounds similar to what I used to go through. The only difference is mine is a wheat allergy, not celiac but I eat gluten-free anyways because honestly I'd rather be safe than sorry. IF you end up having celiac, you will have to avoid products with gluten and foods with gluten. If you are just allergic to wheat, you can use products with gluten but cannot eat foods with wheat or that have been wheat contaminated. I still honestly don't see the difference between wheat-free and gluten-free. Most gluten is found in wheat products anyways. I'm fine living without it. As for the constipation. Many people will tell you to eat lots of fiber but fiber just binds and holds everything together. WATER is what will help keep your bowels moving. I have chronic constipation (while showing every sign of IBS yet no diagnosis and it's pissing me off). But when I spiked my water intake to 70+ oz a day, it helped a great deal. I went from once a week to once every 1-2 days. Drink your water. That's also what helps get rid of water weight (ironically lol). Ever since I've upped my water, my weight has been easier to manage. So has my appetite. You most likely gained weight from the constipation. It would give me 5-8 pounds then after a Dulcolax did it's magic, I would be back to my regular weight and no longer bloated. You are less likely to encounter cross-contamination if you eat more natural and less processed foods. That's not to say you can't treat yourself but the closer to nature, the better and safer.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Right now I have pretty bad diarrhea (that I have since 3 days after I was accidentally glutened). The constipation has been an issue before Easter and has been here for a few months now, and I drink a TON of water, eat a lot of fiber, and have no reason (other than a food allergy issue) to be constipated. I drink over 100 ounces a day because I'm a breastfeeding mother. I shouldn't be retaining water either, except for the fact that it's one of my "issues" with gluten. I already eat a very low-processed food diet, and have been doing alright for a while. My husband has light issues with gluten, but he isn't affected enough by them enough to want to stay GF, so over the last few months he's added back into his diet. He is the only one in the house who eats the processed junk foods - I personally eat mainly veggies, eggs, and meat, but also eat some dairy and oatmeal (and sadly suspect a dairy allergy). I rarely eat rice (white rice seems to make me sick), and I rarely eat anything processed anymore, even if it is gluten free...I'm wondering if I'm having more issues lately because there's gluten in the house and I'm being cross-contaminated, or what. The allergy testing will be for 40 different foods, and at least with knowing if it's an actual allergy or celiac, I'll get a better overall view at my health. There are a lot of things that being a celiac puts me at higher risk for if I'm continually being exposed to trace gluten, even if it doesn't give me obvious issues. A friend took a photo of me a few days ago, and you can see how much my face is swelling - it looks like a "before" picture of me before I lost all my weight! It's insane.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hmm... If it's actual swelling then it might just be an allergy. Sadly, some wheat and gluten allergies are more severe than others. Some people get a worse reaction than others. If your's is the severe type, your husband will have to take his wheat and/or gluten meals elsewhere. Until your results, keep a food diary and how you felt or reacted on that day. Also take notes as to where you were and who/what you were around. Maybe it will give some clues.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hmm... If it's actual swelling then it might just be an allergy. Sadly, some wheat and gluten allergies are more severe than others. Some people get a worse reaction than others. If your's is the severe type, your husband will have to take his wheat and/or gluten meals elsewhere. Until your results, keep a food diary and how you felt or reacted on that day. Also take notes as to where you were and who/what you were around. Maybe it will give some clues.

I totally agree. My celiac test came back negative a few years ago but I recently found out I was allergic to wheat due to swelling, rashes, and particularly logging what I eat & how I feel. Logging symptoms as well as food helps for other things too - Like I've figured out I'm not so lactose intolerant, but I can't handle any onions. So even if you do have more issues than just gluten, logging symptoms can really help figure out your triggers for IBS &/or other allergies/intolerance. It's not always clear, but it can really help.

Because of my allergy- I'm completely gluten free. It's safer and I think easier. My husband is also mainly gluten free- his diet is low carb but since I do the cooking he doesn't eat any wheat/gluten unless it's something someone brought in to his work. It's just not on the grocery list so it's not in the house. Your husband may have to do the same or you could have separate toasters and risk the rest. Personally I don't think it's worth it, but then wheat makes me feel all sorts of awful.

As for the challenge: Just take it one day at a time. Remember it is only temporary, and as much as it sucks now- it can lead to a better diagnosis and overall health.