First HM in 2 weeks

Options
skippygirlsmom
skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
Wow when I signed up for this race it was like a million years away and now it's in two weeks. A short background. In November and December I was running a comfortable 11 miles as my long run and about 140 miles a month. Got hurt mid December, started PT in Feb and was just able to start running again the first weekend in Feb (love my PT!). I was released to start adding mileage about 3 weeks ago and have been steadily doing that. The PT agreed I could run my half if I was having no pain, I am pain free so it's a go.

My goal is to do my best and finish without walking, which now that I ran the course I'm confident I can do.

So I'm just under 2 weeks out and have a few questions.

1. What pace group. I ran about 12.5 miles of the course yesterday at an 11 min mile. Before I was injured my pace would have been closer to 10:30. During a race I tend to run about a minute faster than my training time. In November I ran a 10K at a 9:30ish pace. I feel that is way too fast for me for this half. They have both a 2:15 and a 2:30 pacer. Based on my training run and the fact I could easily breathe and talk when I was done I know the 2:30 is too slow. I think my best bet is to start with the 2:15 (10:18 pace) and if I'm good with 5 miles to go pick up to a pace I still feel comfortable at. My big concern is going out too fast that is why I want to start with a pacer. I think the 2:00 pacer is too fast for me for the whole distance and I don't want to burn out or get discouraged if I can't keep up with them. Thoughts?

2. I really know zip about tapering. This past week I didn't run Fri or Saturday because I knew I was going to do the course on Sunday and wanted fresh legs. I plan to do the same the Friday and Saturday before the race since it seemed to work out for me this past week. So do I do another long run this coming weekend or should I keep below 10 miles for the next 10 days or so, I'm not sure what to do. I usually run 5 days a week between 4 - 8 miles a day. I was doing more before I was hurt, but I'm still recovering from the injury.

Thank you!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    1. If you're running a 10k @ 9:30ish you're not going to run a half at a 9:09 pace (2 hours) so don't pick this one. Personally I'd start with the 2:15 and if you feel good towards the end then you can pull away from them.

2. I'd run an easier long run the weekend before and then just do a couple easy short runs during the week. Something in the 4 - 5 mile range. Probably do 15 minutes the day before just to keep things feeling good.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1. So it sounds like you'll be running around a 10-10:30 pace for the race, right? I'd say start with the 2:15 group for a few miles and if you want to speed up, you can, but it sounds like their pace will be right near your goal pace.

2. The weekend plan sounds good. I'd keep the long run the week before in the 8-10 mile range and the midweek runs in the 3-5 range. You're mostly keeping your legs limber, not doing any more training, and you want to save all that energy for the race!

Good luck with the race! Let us know how it goes!
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you both. I'm glad I was basically on the right track. Hard to believe in January a doctor told me I needed back surgery and should "never run again". Glad I didn't listen and found a great PT instead who had me back out there in short order.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am not qualified to give you any advice, but just want to wish you luck! I am very happy to hear that you have proven the doctors to be wrong!
    Stef.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give you any advice as the luvly folk above have done an awesome job :blush: Well done on coming back from injury and have a fantastic race hunni :smile: Where is the half you are running?
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Great you bounced back so quick! best of luck with your race.
    My first half was just over a year ago, I introduced myself to the 2.20 pacer had great craic with him then lost him 5 mins into the race, near the end of the race when I was flagging the 2hr pacer told me to push on & get in under 2hrs which I did.
    My advice is to leave the watch at home, go enjoy the race do it at a comfy pace & don't forget to smile for the camera at the end :) also let us know how you get on!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I think you have been given good advice. I also think that, given the info you provided, you might surprise yourself on this one. But since it is your first HM, I think the most important thing is to go out and enjoy! Good luck and have a blast!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate the advice and the well wishes!

I'm going to take everyone's advice and enjoy the experience. When I think back even just 8 months ago I can't believe I'm even running this HM. I'm very proud of myself and will be no matter what my time.

@valentine4 I might just take that leave the watch at home advice!
    @emblu It's in Hunstville Alabama, it's the Bridgestreet HM. Nice flat course though a couple of small neighborhoods and the office park where I work.
    @Skme201 thanks for being in my corner and be so encouraging while I was working my way back and while I couldn't run.
  • _Waffle_
    Options

I'm going to take everyone's advice and enjoy the experience. When I think back even just 8 months ago I can't believe I'm even running this HM. I'm very proud of myself and will be no matter what my time.

@emblu It's in Hunstville Alabama, it's the Bridgestreet HM. Nice flat course though a couple of small neighborhoods and the office park where I work.
    @Skme201 thanks for being in my corner and be so encouraging while I was working my way back and while I couldn't run.

But if you don't track it then it never happened. :smirk:

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Does that make it a Schrodinger half-marathon? ;)
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Great point Waffle I'll need to take a selfie with my watch afterwards LOL

• SKME2013
    Options
    I admire you running it without a watch. I need mine and would despair without it! I do check my heart rate regularly to make sure I am not going out to fast. It iss very easy to get caught up in running too fast when with other runner, at least it is for me. Best of luck! I assume you race is today? Stef.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @skme2013 It's next Sunday. I'm sure I'll wear my watch, I don't run wearing my glasses so half the time I can't see it anyway. I always start fast that is why I want to run with a pacer so I don't die out. This course is so well marked with arrows and is marked every mile which is nice. When I ran it last weekend I had no problem following it by watching the arrows.
  • SKME2013
    Options
    Hehe...same here. Need reading glasses, but I can just about make out the numbers. So another week? I have a 10K in a week and two halfs in the next two months. Best of luck!
    Stef.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Hehe...same here. Need reading glasses, but I can just about make out the numbers. So another week? I have a 10K in a week and two halfs in the next two months. Best of luck!
    Stef.

You too Stef thanks!
  • SKME2013
    Options
    Thanks!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Follow up. I ran my first half today and I’m very happy with my time. I finished in 2:17.58, my goal was under 2:20 and not to walk. I accomplished both!

I started with the 2:15 pace group and they walked through the first aid station and I kept going. I did start to pick up my pace some, I noticed as they called out my split times I under 10 min miles. I’m a terrible pacer and don’t do a good job of tracking my splits etc. Anyway I felt really good until just over the 10 miles when my legs just started to feel like crap. My breathing was good I could talk to the person next to me, it was totally my legs. I think this was two things, one I was so nervous in the morning I couldn’t get a half bagel down without feeling sick. The second was I only got in 2 runs over 8 miles during the span of Feb to the race.

However, like I said I’m very happy with my time, it was a great experience. I’m looking forward to running another. Thank you again for all the great advice. Oh yeah the best part of the race was seeing my 14 year old at the 10 mile mark yelling for me. I took a minute to stop and hug her, she then ran to the finish line and was there crying when I finished. When I asked what was wrong, she said I’m so proud of you. <3
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great story. Congratulations!
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Fantastic report on the race. It sounds like you paced yourself pretty well. If you're running up close to your appropriate half marathon pace you should have a bit of tiredness in the legs after 10 miles. That's perfectly normal. 10 - 11 mile range always feels the worst for me and then I focus on how close the finish is and that goes away.

If you keep the mileage up this year and stay healthy you can probably pull this down even closer to 2:00 next race. Nice going.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Thank you @callmerupaul and @_waffle_ ! I appreciate the advice both of you gave me beforehand. I'm glad you mentioned the 10 - 11 mile soreness, it was frustrating, but I'm glad to hear it's normal.