Weightloss after weaning

ksnel3
ksnel3 Posts: 107 Member
What are the odds that when I finish breastfeeding the pounds will fall off? Maybe it's wishful thinking because I can't seem to lose any weight I have been up and down between the same 5lbs for months now. Baby girl is almost 10 months, so not much longer!

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Have you been actively trying to lose weight? I've been able to lose weight while BFing. I weigh my food and eat back half of my exercise calories. I don't have any experience with weaning (every time I have weaned a baby I have been pregnant!) so I don't know if weight will come off easier then.
  • ksnel3
    ksnel3 Posts: 107 Member
    So funny, me too! This is the first time post-baby that I won't be getting pregnant immediately. I have 3 kids: 3, almost 2, and almost 1. I have been trying to lose weight for months. At first it came easily, but I haven't lost weight for a few months. I am, however, losing inches. So I am hopeful that once I wean it will be easier to lose weight.
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    I have never put weight on so easily in my life. I lost most of the baby weight after about a month then put on a stone and a half in about 6 months! So I am hoping when we wean I will go back to normal. I am slowly losing some weight now she only feeds a couple of times a day.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    My babies have always weaned themselves when I was already pregnant with the next one. Oops! :wink: My son is 5 months old, and I fear he will wean himself when I cease to make enough milk for him. That's why I hesitated to start any kind of diet until now. I really wanted him to breastfeed for a year, but I can't wait to start losing weight--I'm too unhealthy and in pain all the time from all this extra weight.

My midwife from baby #3 told me that she was able to lose weight easily initially while breastfeeding but that her body tended to hold onto weight around her midriff until she weaned. After the baby quit breastfeeding, she was able to lose her tummy, love handles, and back fat. Maybe that will be the case for you too!
  • vamolinari
    vamolinari Posts: 8 Member
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    My babies have always weaned themselves when I was already pregnant with the next one. Oops! :wink: My son is 5 months old, and I fear he will wean himself when I cease to make enough milk for him. That's why I hesitated to start any kind of diet until now. I really wanted him to breastfeed for a year, but I can't wait to start losing weight--I'm too unhealthy and in pain all the time from all this extra weight.

My midwife from baby #3 told me that she was able to lose weight easily initially while breastfeeding but that her body tended to hold onto weight around her midriff until she weaned. After the baby quit breastfeeding, she was able to lose her tummy, love handles, and back fat. Maybe that will be the case for you too!

I had hoped that was true. I remember reading soany times that weight fell off once the baby was weaned, however that is not the case for me. I se to be gaining rapidly and easily despite adding exercise to my daily regimen of work and raising 3 kids. Ugh!!
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    I too have heard that but I got pregnant while still breastfeeding so I don't have any experience with that. But....I'm three months postpartum now and down 15 lbs in 55 days. I'm limiting my process carbs and sugary fruit too.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2015
    Mami1976D wrote: »

I hope this is true! My kid is currently self weaning at 2 yrs 8 months. I am so ready...
    (and then there might be another round of course :# )
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    I lost weight easier after i stopped breastfeeding my first daughter. I calorie counted the whole time, but I was just so HUNGRY when I was nursing. I wanted to eat everything in sight! It got easier to control my portions when I stopped breastfeeding.

I think you are either the kind of person who the weight falls off with breastfeeding or it gloms on until you stop.