Digestive issues & weight gain on metformin

Options
i started 500 mg/day dose 3 weeks ago and am still having the runs... Will it stop or can I expect this issue the whole time I'm taking it?

Also, has anyone else gained weight on metformin?

Replies

• ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Not saying you should do this, but I stopped taking met about 12 years ago for that reason. Anytime I ate anything with carbs, I would have severe intestinal issues. None of my health care providers believed me, so I stopped cold turkey.

I now eat low carb, which does not stress my body out and controls my blood sugar. Of course, I'm no longer of childbearing years either.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Are you on the ER/XR? That made a HUGE difference for me. Ive heard some who tolerate the ER better than the regular but some who actually tolerate the regular better than the ER.

Also as in the case of @KnitOrMiss dairy can affect the Met depending on which/what/how much or any dairy within a couple hours of taking Met.

And carbs have to be kept low for Met to work better AND for the tummy/runs issues. If you carbs arent low, or they need to be lower than they are now, you will have potty issues with Met.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yep, carbs are a common trigger. For some, it's any carbs, but for most, it's just the simple/refined ones.

Yes, it's possible to gain weight on Metformin, though it's relatively uncommon. Odds are, it's water retention or a similar effect, but Metformin is not a weight loss drug, so you can't bank on it to make you lose weight. It is an insulin sensitizing drug, so it will typically make your efforts to lose weight actually work.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the extended release...

I gained 50 lbs when I took metformin for a year about 7 years ago when I was TTC. I'm no longer TTC (tubes tied), just trying to manage symptoms, but honestly the irregular periods and hormonal mood swings are the lesser evil to how I feel on metformin and I'm seriously questioning whether I should continue taking it or not...

I'm definitely not eating low carb, but I am eating lower carb than I have in a long time. I just figured out my carb average over the past 10 weeks and I'm averaging 199 carbs/day or 177 net carbs/day (22 grams fibre/day). My default MFP goal is 248 grams of carbs/day and my personal goal has been to stay well below that, which I've accomplished... I know I should cut it back more, but it's a work in progress for sure... just out of curiosity, how low would I have to drop my net carbs in order to stop the digestive issues?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    As long as you're on the Metformin. It reacts every time. It helps to stick to whole food based carbs (aka vegetables) for the most part and avoid the heavily refined stuff. Also, insoluble fiber tends to be a common trigger, so you'll want to be mindful of the amounts of soluble vs insoluble fiber is in a given item. It's a learning process, for sure.

That said, you may want to talk to your doctor about switching to the extended release and see if that helps. Most people get fewer side effects with it vs the regular version.

There's also a chance that you just have an intolerance to the Metformin. It's relatively uncommon, but not unheard of (my grandfather had an intolerance to it).

Alternatively, check out Inositol. It has similar insulin sensitizing effects as Metformin, but without the nasty side effects. It's an over the counter supplement, and you can take it alongside the Metformin.

Definitely talk to your doctor about your options. Metformin may not be a weight loss pill, but the idea is to help improve your health, and to that end, it's sounding counterproductive for you.
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry even doing low carb on met. I have read some testimonies of people that says it takes 1 month of taking it for it to subside. I hoping they are right because if not I will stop taking it bc I already have a weight problem!
  • Alliwan
    Options
    I'm not on the extended release...

I gained 50 lbs when I took metformin for a year about 7 years ago when I was TTC. I'm no longer TTC (tubes tied), just trying to manage symptoms, but honestly the irregular periods and hormonal mood swings are the lesser evil to how I feel on metformin and I'm seriously questioning whether I should continue taking it or not...

I'm definitely not eating low carb, but I am eating lower carb than I have in a long time. I just figured out my carb average over the past 10 weeks and I'm averaging 199 carbs/day or 177 net carbs/day (22 grams fibre/day). My default MFP goal is 248 grams of carbs/day and my personal goal has been to stay well below that, which I've accomplished... I know I should cut it back more, but it's a work in progress for sure... just out of curiosity, how low would I have to drop my net carbs in order to stop the digestive issues?

I would be sick every minute of every day if my carbs where that high on Met. There are various studies showing that Met can be beneficial because it helps lessen the risk of heart disease, heart attack, plaque buildup, uterine cancer, high blood pressure and a host of other things those with IR are at risk for. The mood swings and irregular periods might only be the beginning of your problems if you dont take it, so it might be worth trying to go by Met's rules and see if it works before you give up all together. But only you can make that decision.

That being said, lowering your carbs isnt hard and your upper carb limit might be very different than someone else. You are going to have to keep tweaking it till you find what work for you. Try to cut out all pastas, bread, etc, lower your use of potatoes, bananas and other high carb fruits and veggies. Stick to mostly stone fruits or berries like peaches or blackberries and dark green leafy veggies. You can always adjust down from there if you need or want to. Some of us can do a lower carb on met, some need to be eating Keto for it to stop the issues. So you need to find where your numbers are.

Just remember as you lower your carbs up your fats so you arent hungry and your body has fuel. Protein for women usually falls between 80g and 100g a day.

Try the ER version to see if that helps too. If you are still having cravings or overly hungry then your Met might not be at the right level. You can add in Inositol as @Dragonwolf said. I do LCHF/Keto, Met at 1000mg a day and Inositol together and my insulin hovers right around the high end of normal still. But I dont get the cravings and I am not hungry most days and can lose the weight. My periods are not heavy anymore and my uterine lining, based off ultrasounds, is much less so my uterine cancer risk is much lower. If i go too high on carbs for my body, Met lets me know but I rarely do that now because LCHF/Keto keeps the cravings away and i am not hungry.

Keep trying to tweak it. You and your health is worth it!
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I was on Met, my carbs were around 100, and most of those were in veggies and fruits. I'm glad to know that all these years later, there is recognition that Met and carbs don't mix, because I was there in the beginning, and got accused many times of not following the eating plan. Doctors defaulted to the 'you're lying about your intake' before they would blame the meds.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My doctor (endocrinologist) told me below 100 grams per day, then adjust downward until cravings stopped. for me that was 35 grams a day. almost all met conflicts ceased immediately. then I just had to be careful not to have dairy 1-2 hours on either side of it
  • IslandSneezerooo
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been taking 2000 mg myo-inisitol (half in the morning, half at night) alongside the metformin the past 3 weeks. I also started taking Vitex this week. My other supplants include 15 ml floradix iron/b complex in the morning, and cal/mag/zinc/vitamin D at night. I take the metformin with food at night before bed as that's how my pharmacist and doctor told me to take it.

I also eat a primarily organic whole food diet, lots of protein packed LC salads with chicken or tuna, yogourt, lentil sausage stew, cabbage chicken soup, stir frys, roast chicken, and snack on turkey pepperoni and cheese... I don't do fat free or artificially sweetened foods, just a little stevia... Most of my regular meals are low carb, I'm not perfect by any stretch, but then I usually have a sugary treat like a mug of ice cream because I've always had room left in my macros for it.. I'm allergic to wheat so never eat it, but do eat gluten free bread and cracker alternatives which can up the carbs... I'll work on cutting out the extra carbs to at least half my carb intake down to 100 grams and see if there's any improvement...

Thanks for the great input!!
  • JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1500mg or Metformin ER for years - started taking it right after my diagnosis at age 13. In college, my symptoms got much worse than they had ever been and I knew it was from the medicine. What no one told me and I didn't know (until just now, honestly) was that it was carb related. Neither my endocrinologist (pediatric b/c i was 13 then) nor my primary doctor ever mentioned I should go low carb. Always said I needed to lose weight, but never specifically gave me a plan or any other help. The symptoms have subsided a bit, except for the week before my period, but this would have been good to know!
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    I've decided to go cold turkey off the carbs and do serious Keto LCHF starting today. I've cleaned the carbs out of my kitchen and I'll be doing some food prep today... No more half a$$ing it... I haven't done serious low carb since 1999... It's time...
  • Alliwan
    Options
    I've decided to go cold turkey off the carbs and do serious Keto LCHF starting today. I've cleaned the carbs out of my kitchen and I'll be doing some food prep today... No more half a$$ing it... I haven't done serious low carb since 1999... It's time...

Welcome to the dark side, we have bacon! :smiley:

Just make sure you are upping your fats as you lower your carbs. Be prepared for the Keto flu and keep your sodium and potassium up.

ARe you part of the Low Carber Daily Forums and/or the Keto groups? Lots of good ideas, help and recipes there.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @alliwan Yes, I joined both those groups and have been learning a lot. Will make sure I'm getting enough sodium and potassium as well... I'm pretty sure I have a potassium supplement somewhere in the dark regions of my cupboard... LOL I also have a recipe for a homemade electrolyte lemon drink so I'll find that too and mix up a batch... On the menu today I am making crustless spinach and feta quiche cups in a muffin tin... have some chicken breast marinating for the hubs to grill tonight and have on salad (with bacon!), and for snacks I have greek yogourt with organic strawberries or turkey pepperoni sticks with cheese...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @alliwan Yes, I joined both those groups and have been learning a lot. Will make sure I'm getting enough sodium and potassium as well... I'm pretty sure I have a potassium supplement somewhere in the dark regions of my cupboard... LOL I also have a recipe for a homemade electrolyte lemon drink so I'll find that too and mix up a batch... On the menu today I am making crustless spinach and feta quiche cups in a muffin tin... have some chicken breast marinating for the hubs to grill tonight and have on salad (with bacon!), and for snacks I have greek yogourt with organic strawberries or turkey pepperoni sticks with cheese...

I'd love to hear about you homemade electrolyte lemon drink recipe if it is something you can share!
  • IslandSneezerooo
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My recipe is 2 T lemon juice (for potassium), 1/8 t himalayan sea salt (for sodium), 10 drops NuNatural Stevia drops (the only brand that doesn't have a bad aftertaste to me) and 8 oz water. This is essentially equal to 8 oz of a sugar free electrolyte sports drink.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks! I haven't found a liquid stevia that doesn't give me headaches, so I use Pure Via non-GMO, Organic Stevia... I'll try this soon. :) I hate those drinks that have dyes!!!
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    If it's too strong add more water... I had one last night and watered it down a fair bit... No headache on my first day either!
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    Keto-style eating is going awesome! I've been having one serving of electrolyte drink since Tuesday and no headache or keto-flu... I'm thrilled... My digestive issues are totally gone, and my doctor has upped my metformin dosage to 500 mg 2x/day so hopefully this trend continues...
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    Spoke too soon... Keto flu kicked in later and ugh!! Had a really bad day on Saturday/Sunday... Hopefully past the worst of it now... I've been having horrid heartburn. I don't usually have that problem... Is that normal?!