Trying to figure my reactions out.

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hi all,
I'm new to this group and am looking for any input you may have.

I recently came back to MFP after my doctor recommended to lose weight and change my carb intake to help treat insulin resistance.

I began logging again and found the low carb group, which has been a godsend. After logging and looking for other sources for carbs for about a week, I felt great. I hadn't eaten any grain products in three days and had a low carb flax and whole wheat pita. About ten minutes after I started to get swelling in my neck with pressure on my throat. I've had this feeling for years and always attributed it to my enlarged thyroid.

I didn't eat any grain products again for a few days then had an omelet and mini muffin at brunch, my throat swelled and the right side of my face up to my ear went numb.

Fast forward to today, I went to breakfast and had eggs rye toast and bacon, this time the left side of my face went numb and my ears popped causing pain in the side of my head and neck.
I took a benadryl and that helped.

So tonight for dinner I made tomatoe sauce with meat balls, I put it on mung bean pasta, which I have eaten previously with no problem on Wednesday. Half way through I felt my throat start to swell on both sides and my cheeks feel puffy.

Now I'm just lost, I know that grain is bothering me based on my experiences over the past month, but what happened tonight, I didn't have any grain so now it must be something else, but what? I did test one of my bf's regular noodles to make sure it was done but it was just a tiny piece and my throat already felt like it was beginning to swell before that.

I have a family history of food allergies and intolerances, but until recently I never thought I had a problem with anything.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

Replies

• LibbyErinGalt
    LibbyErinGalt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Meatballs usually contain breadcrumbs, could be that. Sounds like you are having a pretty serious allergic reaction - might want to see an allergist. That symptom sounds like anaphylaxis - you would potentially need an epipen if the throat swelling continued. Benedryl will help but you need to describe this to a doctor.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I made the meatballs and didn't put any bread in them. I'm thinking maybe tomatoes? but I ate pizza the day before with no issued :(

Yes i'm calling my allergist today, my sister and her kids have anaphylaxis reactions to things frequently so I know its no joke.

Thank you for your response
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Just adding on, you may be able to get an epipen without a prescription. Without insurance they may be close to a hundred, but if you have to wait for the allergist it might be a very good thing to have on hand.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thanks. I called my allergist but they want 300 up front to hold on my account even though I have really good health insurance. I'm going to go too my primary to see if they can order a test and give me a prescription.

Thank you
  • LibbyErinGalt
    LibbyErinGalt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Best of luck - you can look into a new kind of epipen called Auvi-Q. Go to their website and check it out, most people qualify to get it Free because they want people to have access to this life saving medication. You should be able to get prescription from your doctor.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thank you I got some recommendations for some allergists today so hopefully I can get into someone soon