Excess skin

Options
Hi all

I have around 31lb to loose to get to my first goal then a further 14ld I am really worried about excess skin anyone got any tips to help prevent it PLEASE ?

Replies

• squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Body scrubs. Take it slowly. Moisturise.

Anyone know anything useful on this?
  • kirsteena01
    kirsteena01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lb in total so far, and haven't suffered from loose skin. But I've been taking it steadily, and moisturising religiously. A lot is down to genetics as well, I think. Some people will suffer, some won't.
  • oneunfitdad
    oneunfitdad Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    k your around the same age as me m8 are you exercising?
  • sarahgemini
    sarahgemini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Think you need to exercise whilst dieting, and although you might initially have a big loss, aim for just a couple pounds a week . Then hopefully no or little loose skin.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Definitely moisturize.
    You can take vitamin e capsules, break them open and apply them directly to your skin. My mom did during and after all 3 of her pregnancies and it helped with both the loose skin and stretchmarks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't be old!
    (At 38 you are much better off losing it now not later. Wish I hadn't waited until my 50's to lose my flab.)

Don't lose weight too fast, you want to give your skin a chance to keep up.

Do everything you can to lose as much as possible from fat rather than lean mass (you will look much better for the same end weight). Small deficit, adequate protein, resistance/strength training.

Choose your parents wisely to give yourself good genetics as regards skin elasticity. Joking, but genetics do make a huge difference to the final outcome.

And if you do end up with some loose skin it's not the end of the world. Far better health-wise than being fat but with sleek looking skin. Avoid push ups without a shirt and the missionary position if you have loose skin on your stomach. :blush:
  • armygirl165
    armygirl165 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 stone over about a year and now I'm maintaining, I had a bit of excess skin at first (and I'm only 20!) but I've exfoliated and used baby oil and it's much less noticeable now.
  • misssmaria
    misssmaria Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I think some people are unlucky and don't have much stretch in their skin, me being one of them. I do find moisturising reduces redness but overall you either get it or you don't.