Cortisone injections

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
So after many months of physio, modifying my WOD's and taking anti inflammatories it is becoming apparent my bursitis around my shoulder is not healing. I modify and have avoided anything overhead to no avail. Next step is a cortisone injection so I can target the inflammation and hopefully start healing.
Has anyone had one. Does it hurt? Does it help?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My mother has, in her neck. And my wife has, in her knee. Not to discourage, but both of them only got partial relief and seemed to be right back where they started shortly after. Both went in for surgery since.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I suspect -- in my completely untrained, and often misinformed, medical opinion -- that if you have bursitis it might help. The problem with an injury like that is that everything gets swollen up, and when it is swollen everything continues to rub and stay aggravated. The cortisone should take the swelling down, which should diminish the rubbing, which should get you over the continued aggravation, which should help it heal.
    A cortisone injection is the standard of care in a case such as yours.
    I don't know if it hurts more than one might expect to have the injection or not.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I get one in my shoulder about every 3 months. I got the injury doing Krav Maga. It stops me from doing anything overhead. With me, the injection burns as it enters my body. Its sore for a day or so but after that I’m good. The doctor wants me to have a minor procedure to shave down a bone rubbing up against a tendon but I’ve just haven’t had the time to get it done. Good luck.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My mother has, in her neck. And my wife has, in her knee. Not to discourage, but both of them only got partial relief and seemed to be right back where they started shortly after. Both went in for surgery since.

This is what one of the coaches at my box said about it. Helps a little, but not much, and didn't last. But he is arthritic in that joint so it's only ever going to be temporary relief. Can't just grow cartilage back. I imagine it'll be different for you.

The bursitis in my knee went away with rest and regular icing.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 in my spine, 3 in my left knee and 1 in my hip joint. The spine shots might have worked as I do not experience pain there anymore and that was 7 years ago. The left knee helped me get through the Tough Mudder but I still have issues there. I think deep squats have really been helping my knee. The hip shot felt awesome for about 24 hours, the doctor told me it would be temporary due to arthritis. My over all experience is that it sure felt good but in most cases was temporary. I can sure see how professional athletes get hooked on these shots, if I had unlimited access I would love to get one in my hip before any CF comps.
  • Inkratlet
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is it competition legal? It's a cortico steroid.

Just looked it up: banned by the Olympic committee so I'd be surprised if CF HQ allow it
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had them for carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy and after the discomfort of the injection had worn off (1 day), they were brilliant.
    I just got a new PB yesterday for squat and it came back again overnight. ?wrist guards useful
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Mummyadams wrote: »
    So after many months of physio, modifying my WOD's and taking anti inflammatories it is becoming apparent my bursitis around my shoulder is not healing. I modify and have avoided anything overhead to no avail. Next step is a cortisone injection so I can target the inflammation and hopefully start healing.
    Has anyone had one. Does it hurt? Does it help?

I have had injections in my knee and shoulder before. They hurt like any other shot but they definitely bring relief to sore joints.

• Mummyadams
    Options
    Had my shot yesterday - usual scratch with an injection (local 1st & then with a follow up cortisone). Pain has subsided but still feels 'heavy'. No training for a few days and then back to it modified. Am hoping this will aid my healing as they said the bursitis was pretty bad.
    But on a positive note he said I had minimal shoulder fat and great muscle tone - I'll take that as a win!
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @Mummyadams... always a silver lining! :) Feel better soon!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in the joint of my big toe, which makes all kinds of trouble for walking, running, burpees, mountain climbers, pretty much anything, so I had a shot in Dec, it has already worn off. I am going again Monday to see the dr. I am just wondering how long will I have to do this?? Will it get better? For the rest of my life?? long term side effects?? Anyone else had this big toe issue?
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    Angimom wrote: »
    I have arthritis in the joint of my big toe, which makes all kinds of trouble for walking, running, burpees, mountain climbers, pretty much anything, so I had a shot in Dec, it has already worn off. I am going again Monday to see the dr. I am just wondering how long will I have to do this?? Will it get better? For the rest of my life?? long term side effects?? Anyone else had this big toe issue?

Probably best discussing that with your doctor. Arthritis doesn't ever heal (can't grow cartilage back) but what your options are is what your doctor should be discussing with you.

• Angimom
    Options
    OK, I have an appointment on Monday, I was just wondering if others had been through this already.
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    How did your appointment go?
    My shoulder is feeling fab - hard not to go balls to the wall now that there is no pain
  • Angimom
    Options
    Toe is feeling great. I am not excited over pending options with it though. Continued shots and then surgery, either to free up the joint, which will only last a little while, artificial joint or immobilizing it. UGH, none of those sound like great options when the shots don't work anymore. Until I find more answer I am still going to baby it, just to make the joint last longer.