New-need help with with my nutrition goals settings

Options
Hello all! I have PCOS and just starting using the app. What should my percentages be as far as carbs and protein and fat be?? I'm sticking to a mostly paleo diet. Thank you!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Paleo will get you a fair way there already, so that's a great start!

Here are what I recommend:

Protein -- 1g/lb of lean body weight. For women, that tends to work out to 60-100g or so. I'm 5'9", so mine's set to 100g, but I'm okay if I'm over or under that.

Carbs -- This will depend on your tolerance level. A lot of us find that lower is better (in fact, as a "hard loser," I'm currently toying with a "zero carb" or carnivore approach -- only carbs come from incidental ones in animal products). If you're just getting started, though, 100g is usually a good goal to start with. If you're insulin resistant, you may need to go lower, but if you're not, you may even be able to get away with higher. Go by your hunger signals and cravings -- if you have issues keeping under your calorie goal, then decrease your carbs until you can maintain a sane deficit without a great deal of effort. Try to get most of your carbs from non-starchy vegetables and go easy on the fruits and starchy vegetables.

Fat -- Fill in the rest with fat, and don't be afraid of any natural fats (Paleo will help on this front, as it already eliminates the industrial seed oils). Yes, this means it will be a pretty high number (mine is in the ballpark of 150g, for example). If you do Cordain style Paleo, you'll want to have things like lard, tallow, and coconut oil around. If you lean more Primal, you can make butter and ghee your friend, as well. Avocado, macadamia, and walnut oil are good ones, too (ideally cold pressed and unrefined). Go for fatty meats, nuts (in moderation, they're easy to overdo), and things like avocado and coconut (and again, if you do dairy, full fat yogurts and cheeses and whatnot).

I like using this calculator http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to help determine my numbers. Put in your stats and it will give you a range for protein to get you started. Put in your desired amount of carbs and the deficit you want, and it will tell you how much fat.
  • IsabelPenaFuentes
    IsabelPenaFuentes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I lost quite a bit of weight last year doing paleo and crossfit. Lost motivation due to some tragic events but am determine to get back at it. Just started on MFP. Thanks so much for your help!