Weekend Perseverance

Options
LadyScorpio67
LadyScorpio67 Posts: 247 Member
I've seen there are a few like me that struggle with the weekend eating, so I thought I'd start this for those of us that have our challenges. I know I have a heck of a time over the weekend because there is usually a lot going on one way or another. We can share our blips, tips, ideas, and anything else to help get through the weekends. Of course those who navigate the weekend, please share what you do with us as well!

Replies

• reneemurray897
    reneemurray897 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do best on those weekends that I plan for. It isn't always easy because of busy schedules, but I try. One thing that often works is to do some shopping on Friday evening after work, loading the cart with lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I plan for a big salad at least one meal and have my favorite fruits to snack on. I splurge on the fruit that is already cut and ready to eat. It isn't that much more expenses and removes a hurdle. A visit to the cheese isle for a cheese I haven't tried can also help. It makes a healthy snack seem a little like an indulgence.

I look forward to learning more ideas. Thanks for the post.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I would like to better utilize my weekend for cooking for the upcoming week. Too often I just cook what I need to eat and then on Sunday afternoon I'm wondering what I'm going to do, or why I don't have XYZ.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    This thread popped up just in time, I'm the worst when it comes to the weekends. All the errands I run ends up with me eating out and/or grabbing fast food. This weekend I plan on eating breakfast before I even go out the door and if I have to grab lunch while I'm out I'm going to make better choices. I do well on Sundays since thats the day I do my lunch prep for the week but my Saturdays suck so hard.
  • knp519
    knp519 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes! The weekend is the hardest for me. However I already planned out both days which helps me tremendously in sticking to a plan!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat out of boredom on the weekends. It's nice not being at work (if I'm not working weekends that is), but there's less distraction. And usually friends who want to go eat out, get candy at the movies, etc. The one good thing about being lactose intolerant is I can use it as an excuse if they want something with milk in it and want me to get one or offer me some lol :wink:
  • LadyScorpio67
    Options
    Well I can't say it was the best weekend at behaving myself, but the nice weather and being outside for most so far I think counter balanced..I hope. I travelled most of Friday and when I got home, was tired out. I did however got out for an hour walk that evening with my dogs, not only to get some exercise in, but stretch muscles from sitting a good portion of the day. My down fall...ordered pizza. Yesterday I was doing good for being outside most of the day, but ended up with a half of hoagie for dinner complements of my son. But knowing I'm watching what I eat, he did get me a 6" and on wheat. Amazingly when I got on the scale this morning to see what kind of damage may have been done, I was down an ounce. Needless to say I was happy and relieved. Next weekend I'll be at my mom's for a visit, that is going to be really tough!
  • LadyScorpio67
    Options
    I forgot to mention, if you are one that wants something quick so not to stop for very long to fix something, I had baked up some chicken breast, bought a bag of green salad, and shredded cheese. Made a great quick lunch for yesterday.
  • nev888
    nev888 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well, I was OK yesterday because I was busy - today is more of a struggle. I just had a bowl of soup for lunch (when you get up at 5 am, 10:45 for lunch isn't too bad). Figured it was better to eat a planned meal than snack. I am drinking lots of water - really want to show a decrease for tomorrow's weigh in.
  • SFDonovan
    SFDonovan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I sleep late on Saturday. Always have. Breakfast turns into brunch since I don't eat till 11:00 or so. Then it's yard work or other stuff I put off till dinner, so I'm usually good. My bad habit is ordering out on weekends. It's kills my calorie count.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some helpful advise. I pretty much just eat the same things all the time, even on the weekends. We don't hardly ever eat out, so I don't have to worry about that. Just plan what you are going to have first, based on what will fit into your calorie goal. Good luck!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »
    I wish I had some helpful advise. I pretty much just eat the same things all the time, even on the weekends. We don't hardly ever eat out, so I don't have to worry about that. Just plan what you are going to have first, based on what will fit into your calorie goal. Good luck!

A local-celebrity weight loss coach in town preaches that his clients eat the exact same thing every day. He builds a balanced-nutrition menu for one day and has his clients eat that stuff over and over again, every day. The downside of that is obvious (the plan doesn't cater to those who crave something outside the menu), but the upside to repetition is that it simplifies grocery shopping--plus it eliminates "choice" from the equation: It's harder to make bad choices when you don't HAVE a choice!
  • BrettWithPKU
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Brans34 wrote: »

A local-celebrity weight loss coach in town preaches that his clients eat the exact same thing every day. He builds a balanced-nutrition menu for one day and has his clients eat that stuff over and over again, every day. The downside of that is obvious (the plan doesn't cater to those who crave something outside the menu), but the upside to repetition is that it simplifies grocery shopping--plus it eliminates "choice" from the equation: It's harder to make bad choices when you don't HAVE a choice!

Full disclosure: I had a personal friend lose weight that way. I myself thought he was nuts, but he did get results.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the exact same thing, but there is a limited amount of variety. I still have pizza, but I make my own with low carb tortillas, salsa, mozzarella, and Turkey pepperoni. Its actually really good, and only around 150 calories...and 2 is plenty to fill a person up. I eat a lot of chicken, because it's very low calorie, and you can make it so many different ways. I make extra of some foods, measure it out into individual servings, then freeze it, so I can just click on one of my recipes, and add it while it's in the microwave. I really couldn't eat the exact same thing all the time, but there is just a small variety.
  • MayorGrimby
    MayorGrimby Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same five meals during the week (with some variations thrown in to keep it interesting). I keep a list of "weekend meals," usually stuff more complicated to make or slightly richer than my weekday fare. When I grocery shop for the week, I pick two of the weekend meals off the list to shop for. I add to the list as I find new recipes I like. I grocery shop Friday night and have my meals planned out Saturday - Friday. It's working well for me so far.
  • BrettWithPKU
    Options
    Grimby,
    You have a very good system. IMO there is a clear value in having a short list of nutritious meals to make/eat; where the weight-loss coach I mentioned previously falls short is that wiggle room that we ALL need, allowing for those cravings (with controlled portions of course) that we all have.

Brans,
    Chicken is great. But I also recommend Aldi's 93% lean ground beef, which you can get for the same price as 78% lean ground beef from "Big Grocery".
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have 2 chioces I alternate between for breakfast and eat a big salad for lunch everyday so I really only have to think about dinner. That helps me a lot.
    On the weekend I do "prep". I cut up veggies and divide things into portion controlled serving. That way when I am busy I have choices already thought out.
  • kmcc144
    kmcc144 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This weekend is my weekend without my kids and that is always my hardest! All I want to do is eat pizza, watch movies, and drink wine. I always blow my week on the friday night without my kids. Not this time! I am determined to enjoy my day/night without totally killing my progress. I am focusing on the fact that I get to sleep late for the first time in over a year. I have little kids and have been up throughout the night for several years and getting up early with the kids. Tomorrow I don't have to pick up my daughter until evening, so I will enjoy sleeping late! And then getting up and going for a walk or getting a workout in before I have to pick her up. :)