Vibrams and marathon

Options
gojgo26
gojgo26 Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone, this I just joined this so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. I'm planning to run my first marathon in August, and I'm in need of a new pair of shoes. I've been running in my Vibram FFs for a couple years now. I switched after I just.kept.injuring.my feet. And surprisingly, they're the only running shoes I've ever had that I have never gotten a foot injury with! Its amazing! I ran a half marathon last September, and I regularly run 6-10 miles in them, no problem (I believe I have the Komodo Sport or something...)

Now, in reading about marathon running/training, I haven't found many people who used them, and in fact I've found that they are often advised against for distance running. Yes, I have read all the research on the foot injuries, the lawsuits, I know they're not for everyone, etc., but I can't get away from the fact that they've been SO good to me when many other running shoes let me down!

So I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have done marathons in them? Is it ok? If you haven't, but you liked them for running, have you find comparable "conventional" shoes? Any advice on which experts to talk to would help too!

Replies

• wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do not know anything about those specific shoes. However, I do know that the best advice I have is to go to a specialty running store, and ask for help. My running store folks put me on a treadmill, had me try on lots of different shoes, and used high-speed video to look at my stride and foot strike pattern. They recommended shoes that I am very happy with.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what anyone else does or says. It sounds like they are working for you. Stick with what works. Increase your mileage gradually and pay attention to your body.
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I still run in mine but use them for short runs. They seem to help me when my knees ache but I mostly run in cushioned shoes. I've seen lighter runners do marathons in them and runners complete 50 miles in sandals. I'm a bigger guy so they tend to bruise the bottoms of my feet it if I go more than 5-6 miles in them. You can get the same feel in a lot of the zero drop minimalist shoes out there though.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You can always start the training in them and if you are getting to longer miles and having problems, you can switch to a trainer with a zero drop that will give you a similar feel but with more cushioning.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I ran a marathon in vibrams once and the bottoms of my feet were really hurting by the end LOL.

Now I switch off between vibrams and Brooks Pure Connect and my feet feel a whole lot better all the time. The brooks are great because they allow for the exact same running form, they are about as light as vibrams, and they are not overly expensive.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Never ran in Vibrams, but I run in Xero Shoes, and I've put in runs up to 15 miles in them with no problems. As long as you've got the form for minimalist shoes (good forefoot strike), then run in what is comfortable. My wife bought me a pair of zero drop shoes with more cushioning for longer runs, but the extra cushioning around the ankle and being higher off the ground made for some sloppy form and I ended up rolling my ankle. I have seen people run marathons and ultra marathons in Vibrams, huaraches, and completely barefoot. What works for one runner may or may not work for others. And generally the attitude of regular shoe'd (shod?) runners to minimalist/barefoot runners is something like "I could never run in those, so they must be bad for you." (That is in my personal experience, I'm not saying one is better than the other, or that regular shoe'd runners have bad attitudes or anything like that. Just based on a family of comments that I've heard more times than I can count).

Anyways - race in what is comfortable and what you train in. Increase mileage slowly and be sure to pay attention to any new aches and pains. There will be many when marathon training. Foam roll your calves religiously. Have fun, run hard.
  • Diver_Adolph
    Diver_Adolph Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been running mid distance (HM) with them off and on for a few years and the only problem I've had was when I let my form slip. I'll say one thing though is my feet heat up pretty good after about 6 miles or so. I've been on runs where I look for a puddle to cool them off :)
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My dad has been running in Vibrams pretty much since he started running, and has done several marathons and Boston. It's great because I can always pick him out of the crowd because of his funny flapper feet.

Personally, I love my cushiony shoes, but whatever works for you is what's best. Do what feels good.