What's wrong with my shoe?

Options
SteveTries
SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
I've been so happy with the Gel Kayano 20's that I bought from my local running store back in September that I bought another pair, at a cheaper price on eBay back in February.

Whereas the first pair have been a delight (wonderfully comfortable and niggles in my knee have improved) the second pair I just cannot get on with. Beyond 6 or 7 kms it starts to feel like the ball of my foot is being rubbed by fine sandpaper and each km after that the discomfort grows. I wouldn’t dream of doing a long run in them.

For context I’ve eased back on distance since my October marathon (which I ran in the 1st pair) but I’m still exceeding 160kms (100 miles) a month.

Other than colour this second pair is identical in every way. I've examined them side by side in fine detail for any indication at all that they are counterfeit – nothing. I’ve experimented with different levels of tightness via the laces (I don't wear my shoes loose) and I’ve run at least 5km per week in the 2nd pair to try and “break them in”, but there’s no change. I’m not wearing different socks either.

Has anyone experienced this and figured it out, or does anyone have an ideas what I could do? Kayano’s are expensive and the tread on Pair #1 is about worn out…..

Thanks

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Are you positive they are both from the same year? Manufacturers make adjustments every year.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I have been running in Kayanos for years. I think the first pair I bought were the Kayano 9s. These are definitely my favorite shoe, but when I bought my last pair at the end of December (transitioned from 19 to 20), I had a very hard time getting used to them. Mainly, I noticed a discomfort in the ball of my foot. I changed the inserts in them and voila, they were fine. I wonder if they changed the material they use to make the inserts or something.
  • SteveTries
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the input

Yes 100% positive they are both 20's. Exact same codes, same size, same width etc. It was because I was so happy with the 20's that I didn't want to risk buying the 21's when they came out so went hunting on eBay.

Insoles is a good suggestion. I scrutinised them side by side and they appear identical but I will swap them over before tomorrows run.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Have you changed socks? Some socks bunch under the ball of my foot and make a little pinch blister if I don't pull them tight.
  • helsch007
    helsch007 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I could not offer an explanation for your experience.

I have never bought 2 pairs of the same shoe. A perfect copy by artful dodgers on eBay may be an explanation??

I can highly recommend the K21s. I got a pair heavily discounted from a UK online retailer and they are insanely comfy. I was treading in Hokas (mafatis is and stinsons) and the K21s are a treat.

Might you have a touch of overtraining. I have just run daily for a fortnight and will need a few days off because I am really tired and my feet started to hurt after 5 to 7k so had to string 2 runs of 6k together with a rest in between.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    People don't always run the same year on year there is a chance your style or gait may have changed slightly. Just because a shoe is right for you one year does not always mean you'll be happy with it the next year. These shoes being new would obviously not have worn the same as your other as they are new so this may have shown up. Personally if I was you I'd go to a shop and get your gait checked. This is part of the reason I have several shoes of different brands I am happy with so I don't get too reliant on one brand or one style of shoe
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It may just be a one-off problem with that pair. I run in Saucony Kinvara 5s and I have had 3 pairs of the coral colored ones that all fit identically. I got a pair of waterproof ones: same story. Then I got a pair that were white/purple and the arches were firmer than any other pair I own even though it's the same model. I think it may just be a fluke.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My guess is that since the 21s are out there, and you got the 20s at a much cheaper price, that they had been sitting around in a wear house for awhile getting stiff. It's been my experience that a shoe can age even when not being used. I'd say, go to a store and check out the newest model and take them for a spin and see what you think.
  • SteveTries
    Options
    Thanks guys, some good input there; things I hadn't thought of. Having run 10k in the newer shoes yesterday I'm suffering a lot of lower back discomfort today - could be a coincidence but I think I'm done with that pair and need to pick up something new.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Many eBay sellers buy large lots of items at auction that the manufacturer is dumping for various reasons. One reason could be last years model but another reason could be that they are defective.
  • wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Could it be callouses that have built up on your feet? I have two tiny ones that build up, and I have to cut them off in order to avoid pretty intense pain.
  • SteveTries
    Options
    Just thought I should close this loop - I did try swapping the insoles from the old shoes to the new and it removed the sensation of having my skin rubbed by sandpaper. I would still say the shoe beneath the insole feels less comfortable. For whatever reason I think I have landed myself with a bad pair of shoes. I'll stick to the running store in future.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem last fall. I had no problems with the original running shoes I purchased (on my own without guidance, pure luck I guess). I bought the exact same model of shoe a few months later and had nothing but trouble, particularly with the outer edge of my right foot. I later found some unusual wear where the upper, tongue and my foot met. Since I had not put a whole lot of mileage on that pair it seemed pretty obvious it was a defective pair. I went to a running store after that to get fitted for proper shoes. They have a return policy in case the shoes don't work out for any reason,
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts:

- Maybe the new pair was exposed to heat and the midsole was damaged? Shoes are surprisingly fragile.
    - Manufacturers tend to skimp on the insole, so that can definitely vary shoe to shoe. Have you tried popping out the insole from the old shoes and putting them in the new ones? I had something similar happen with a pair of New Balance shoes last year. Took them back to the running store, they swapped out the insoles for a brand new pair (for free!) and voilà, my new shoes were comfortable.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I used to run in GTS and never had an issue with getting new shoes. I did notice that one of the pair I got (same year model just different color) took me longer to break in. I can't really explain it. I would love to know why.

Good luck!
  • Sotanax
    Sotanax Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    May I suggest just changing out the insoles for something that will take the impact better and support your arch while you break in the new pair. Understand that the previous pair is not the same as the new pair anymore, nor were they before. You had already worn down the older pair and affected the fit and wear. This is why 400 - 500 miles is suggested for any pair of running shoes, particularly true with road shoes.

I can suggest what I use - Sof Sole (Men's or Women's) Athlete Insoles. I get mine through Sports Authority. They have helped extend the life and usefulness of my current shoes, which had a cheap insole.
  • SteveTries
    Options
    Sotanax - that's well worth a try. Insoles will be 10% of the price of new Kayano's so I'll go to the run shop and get some help. Thanks!
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sotanax wrote: »
    This is why 400 - 500 miles is suggested for any pair of running shoes, particularly true with road shoes.

Whoa, that's way more miles than I'm comfortable with on my shoes. I've definitely heard 300-400, and I start to notice a difference around 300-350. Everyone's different and your weight can be a factor, but I think 500 miles is awfully high.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I was told for the two different types of running shoes I have tried that they would be good for 400 miles, but I started noticing some more impact in both of them after 250 miles (New Balance 680 v2's and Brooks Glycerin 12's). I'm a bit heavier than most runners though, so I'm probably a lot less shoe friendly because of that.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    How do you know they are shot? I rotate several shoes of the same type at different mileages. Other than tread wear on the bottom, I can't tell the difference. They have 440, 360 and 120 miles on them. Reebok sublite duos