Supplementing on rest days..

lisaw104
lisaw104 Posts: 8 Member
Any thoughts on taking creatine on rest days.. I'm not sure what's best.. I've read mixed reviews and I usually take it post workout

Replies

• sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    3-5 grams every day. timing doesn't matter.
  • lisaw104
    lisaw104 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Other than when I’m cycling back on when I take 15 grams, I take 5 grams each day regardless of activity.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    you don't need to cycle creatine. 15g is a waste, but it's dirt cheap so i guess it really doesn't matter.
  • AllanMisner
    I cycle off if I get into a situation where I won’t be lifting for a while. That happens less now that I’m doing crossfit, but no sense taking it when there won’t be muscle stimulation. I do the 15 for a few days, maybe it is placebo affect, but I do feel it come on better when I do that.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Can someone explain to me the benefits of creatine - esp for women?
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    To be honest, I stay away from all supplements. I think that you should get all your nutrients from regular food. When people say, "I can't get all the protein I need without my shakes," my first thought is, "then do you really need all that protein?"
  • AllanMisner
    Mummyadams wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me the benefits of creatine - esp for women?

Creatine provides a basic chemical that is used in energy production in the muscle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine). It is one of the only supplements that has been independently tested and proved to work. It also increases the water in muscle, which makes them look fuller (probably not what a woman would be going for). But it will help you lift more and go longer.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    ascrit wrote: »
    To be honest, I stay away from all supplements. I think that you should get all your nutrients from regular food. When people say, "I can't get all the protein I need without my shakes," my first thought is, "then do you really need all that protein?"

Yes.

• Mummyadams
    Thanks for the feedback on creatine - I have purchased & started using Effervescent Creatine which requires no loading . I'm liking it and feel (could be in my head but I'll take it) I have extra energy which is awesome!
    My question is .. do I take this on the days when I don't train?
  • AllanMisner
    Thanks for the feedback on creatine - I have purchased & started using Effervescent Creatine which requires no loading . I'm liking it and feel (could be in my head but I'll take it) I have extra energy which is awesome!

I take the same supplements every day, regardless of training. The only thing I only take on crossfit days (three times a week) is BCAAs.

• Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member

Yep, keep it consistent.

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

It's not in your head. That stuff works. Essentially it increases the amount of work you can do before you get tired.

I used it years ago. Since I'm trying to lose, not gain, I will forego it until I'm less flabby :)

• Mummyadams
    Yep, I'm rating it at the moment. The whole week week I've been in the top finishers which never usually happens. I haven't been lifting heavy due to shoulder issues but can't wait to see if there is an improvement there.