Protein Shakes/ Powder Recommendations

Options
mncmom3
mncmom3 Posts: 42 Member
What kind of protein supplements did you use post op? There are so many options and brands out there. These products tend to be expensive and in large quantities so I just thought I'd ask :).

**I do not have any allergies that I am aware of and I would generally be mixing in berries with plain/ vanilla or opting for chocolate flavor.

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your best bet is to get as many samples as you can and try them all. Individual tastes vary so much - one person will rave about one kind but it is gross and chaulky to another. A lot of companies will send you free samples, or sell sample packs. Some stores like vitamin shoppe carry individual packets etc.

And if you are still-pre-op, I would get all the samples in, and not use them til post op. The surgery will change your tastes so something you loved pre-op you wont even be able to swallow post op. Plus, you will be able to get down so little for the first month or two that you can literally live off those samples without buying any big containers (for WLS patients, those containers last a Very, very long time!).
  • mncmom3
    mncmom3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How do you get samples?
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I like the premier protein for ready made. It is 30g protein. I also like GNC and Syntrax. I know if you go to nashuanutrition.com you can buy samples of any protein pwder they sell. It's nice to try before you buy but it is nice to have a variety so you don't drink the same thing day after day. The Syntrax is protein isolate so usually tolerated better (sometimes after surgery some people have issues with dairy). They have some fruity flavors that are good with water like their fuzzy navel or grapefruit. I have the cappuccino flavor mixed in my coffee every day.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Pure Potein you can get it at Walmart, Walgreens and Amazon. It comes in both a powder and in a liquid. I like the liquid because I like it really cold so I just throw on in the freezer at work and I am able to drink it for my mid morning snack.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Chocolate Truffle and Vanilla Bean have been my favorites. I've tried a variety and these have been a staple for me the past year since surgery.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have always used Nectar brand. Chocolate Truffle I liked the best and used Fuzzy Navel also. I've used Chocolate Truffle since May 2012 with my pre op liquid diet and still do every M-F breakfast with skim milk and tablespoon of PB2.
    You can buy samples online. I bought a bunch before surgery to have on hand after since your tastes will change. Vitamin shoppe locally sells samples of Nectar and Jay Robb.
    Hy Vee may have samples packs to buy also. Hard to find freebies to get.
    Good luck!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like the Premier protein Chocolate shakes. I can use them on the go and yes Ice cold is much better! I use them or the bars right before or after a workout. Great for filling the Protein needs at the end of a day.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I really like Cellucor, especially Peanut Butter Marshmallow and Cinnamon Swirl.
  • juneaubug
    juneaubug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other response that your tastes may change after surgery. I used the premier protein shakes (ready made ones from Costco) right after surgery. I got kind of sick of the really milky protein shakes about a month after surgery and tried some fruitier ones like Nectar grapefruit. I also really liked the cream of chicken protein soup and hot chocolate that was part of my pre-op diet, so I ordered a bunch of those online as well. The heat felt soothing in the beginning. I'm 18 months out and I still have the hot chocolate pretty regularly. I bought the Healthwise brand from family bariatric.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Premier protein. ..all flavors are my fav. I'm not a fan of the chocolate quest powder. I have samples of vanilla and almost afraid to try it. Body fortress at walmart was approved by my program and isn't bad. My bariatric office sold a lot of single flavors and ive found vitamin shoppe does too. Just keep trying them. Vitamin Shoppe and Inthink gnc too offer returns. Even if you buy a mondo tub for $50, you hate the taste, you can return it. Might be for store credit, but it's a good potential safety net.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I preferred non sweet ones, so did a lot of Unjury chicken and beef broth. I also used Isopure Zero flavored water. It has about 40 grams of protein per bottle, It counts for both so helped me get both water and protein in when it was hard.