screen shot if yesterdays "calorie burn"

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
Ok here is what Fitbit sent over to mfp yesterday. Does this look correct to you guys?? Do I eat these calories back or take these numbers with a grain of salt?

pvf7zbv6ewlj.png

Replies

• danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I find when I do over 15k steps, I need more food.

My general rule for eating back exercise calories is that my net calories should be over 1300. After that it depends on how I feel.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    How come your headings are in cute italics? I feel deprived - like my MFP experience is somewhat diminished :)

• Christine_72
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    How come your headings are in cute italics? I feel deprived - like my MFP experience is somewhat diminished :)

Haha when i first got my phone i changed it in my settings.

I am just about ready to throw this fitbit in the trash!!

"walking counts, walking doesn't count" as exercise.

"fitbits suck, don't trust the calorie burn"

"work out the mets, the fu*king wind speed and it's direction, then calculate calculations with a billion different numbers and percentages before arriving at your final number destination"

"No, you should be set to sedentary, or maybe lightly active, or perhaps very active"

I think i was naive in thinking that my fitbit would simply work out my steps, and then mfp would give me my calorie burn.

If someone was sitting in front of me to explain all this, id get it in a minute. I struggle to process information in it's written form, and nothing seems to make sense!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Click on your adjustment to see the math used to calculate it.

MFP has calculated that by 11:59 p.m. you will have burned 1,170 calories more than your MFP activity level.

If huge adjustments freak you out, then increase your activity level. 26,000 steps is not sedentary! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Just be sure to enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I think i was naive in thinking that my fitbit would simply work out my steps, and then mfp would give me my calorie burn.

No, you weren't naive. Don't over-think it.

I do exactly what you thought you'd be able to do. I let my Fitbit detect my steps (and my heart rate now, since I got the HR), compute a calorie burn from that (and, of course the other settings such as age, height & weight) and let MFP tell me how many calories I can eat. I eat those calories and I'm losing at the expected rate.

Unless you are unusual (like the person who posted recently whose job involves dancing in a heavy "character" costume), you should relax, trust your Fitbit, and give it a little time to see if it works for you.

Tune out the people who say that Fitbits don't work (they do for many, don't for a few), that walking isn't exercise (they're wrong - I burned almost 700 calories today on a 4 mile walk), or that you need to do complex calculations to get your exact calorie burn (only if you're an athlete working towards a specific goal, I'd think).

The only reason to worry about getting the right activity level is so that you have a better prediction early in the day as to how many calories you'll be able to eat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Any discussion of walking counts or doesn't count as exercise has NO bearing on the fact it does indeed burn more calories, especially if MFP was unaware you were going to walk that much from selecting say a non-exercise activity level of Sedentary or Lightly Active.

If you only walk and stop increasing speed and keep losing weight - then eventually walking is no longer a workout for your body. Merely a calorie burning activity, and not a great one at that compared to others.
    Is it exercise depends on what exercise means to you.

And it is simple.

Eat 632 more calories for that day.

Simple. You don't have to understand anything else.

There are some nuances to improve estimates (you do realize everything is an estimate, right, unless you are confined in-building during a research study) if you go to extremes and those estimates start adding up.

For instance, lets say you loved this high protein granola cereal.
    And found out that when measuring it per serving compared to weighing it per serving, you were getting an extra 75 calories per bowl eaten you weren't accounting for.

75 is decent amount, but might balance out in the day eating 2000 in total, so perhaps no big deal not to correct it.
    But what if you ate that bowl 5 x daily?
    Now is that difference a big deal? Would it be better to be accurate now?

Same with Fitbit.
    Step based is based on distance and mass. If you had your weight entered wrong by 10 lbs - would you imagine it's close enough anyway - or would you want to correct it?
    Easy correction, sure.

What if you did a treadmill or track walk of known distance and the Fitbit was off by 10% - would you imagine that would be close enough - or would you want to correct it?
    Is it worth the effort to test to confirm?

Once that is done though, it's done. Now distance is good, weight is good, calorie burn estimate is good.

So now unless you see massive steps when you were sitting, or lack of steps when you were moving - you got a good estimate to use.

But guess what, some workouts don't have good calorie burn estimates when looking at steps.
    How many steps in the pool when swimming? None? Would you manually log you swam 1 hr to have a better estimate?

Don't freak out and stress over it, but also be aware of the limits of ANY tool.
    Even your multi-tool may be missing a screwdriver small enough for glasses screw, but you know you can use one of the blades. And you snap it off.

Or MFP as tool by itself, YOU are the one selecting how much you burn daily by selection of activity level - but did you select right?
    Did you stress out over the great potential inaccuracy of MFP before you got the Fitbit?
    Or did you realize how great it can be?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I think christine needs a hug. :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Everything was fine and dandy before I got the bloomin fitbit heybales
    There's just too much conflicting opinions floating around here...
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think christine needs a hug. :)

Lol yes indeedy xx :smiley:

• Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options

A lot of the conflicting opinions come down to the fact that a lot of people don't understand how fitbit and MFP work together.

I trust my fitbit. I eat my calorie adjustments back. It's doing a great job for me.

You are getting large adjustments like that because you have told MFP that you are a lot less active than your fitbit records. If you are more active you need more calories!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    A lot of the conflicting opinions come down to the fact that a lot of people don't understand how fitbit and MFP work together.

I trust my fitbit. I eat my calorie adjustments back. It's doing a great job for me.

^This. I eat back my adjustments, lost the weight, and have maintained for nine months. Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm chiming in on the easy route. I have a Charge HR and let it calculate everything. I set it for sedentary, it syncs constantly with my smartphone, and I get a running tally of my available food calories based on my activity. I don't eat back all of my calories unless I'm actually hungry, and I am off sugar. I'm in my mid 50s with 35-40 more to lose and I have lost just over a pound a week (18.4 lbs) in 105 days.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just trusted my Fitbit, I am losing @1lb. a week, as I told it I wanted to do. I read both MFP fitbit group postings and Fitbit.com, so I understand where your confusion is coming from.

I wear my fitbit on my non dominate wrist, I wear it inside, the LEDs face the veins, I never have to shift the position of it on my wrist. It is so comfortable, I forget it is on most of the time. My activity level is set to sedentary in both apps (I'm short this seems to work better for me) I do fitness classes for seniors and walk 12K daily now, I worked up to that. I eat some of the extra calories most days, occasionally I go over 100 to 200 calories, sometimes I am right on it. I use a digital scale, cups and measuring spoons, scan labels to record my calories. Main point is I am losing it at the projected rate.

It works a treat for me. Try just relaxing and enjoying the simplicity of it all.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Click on your adjustment to see the math used to calculate it.

MFP has calculated that by 11:59 p.m. you will have burned 1,170 calories more than your MFP activity level.

If huge adjustments freak you out, then increase your activity level. 26,000 steps is not sedentary! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Just be sure to enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

This is what I'm talking about...

I just now read on the boards that if you up your activity level from sedentary to lightly active or active than ignore the fitbit steps as they are already counted in my activity settings of lightly active....

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. It will still add over what your maintenance is. I'm on lightly active and still earn 350-500 calories after a long day at work (usually 12-15,000 steps). I think the guide is 6-7000 steps is considered lightly active.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    No. It will still add over what your maintenance is. I'm on lightly active and still earn 350-500 calories after a long day at work (usually 12-15,000 steps). I think the guide is 6-7000 steps is considered lightly active.

It would be so nice if everyone was on the same page.
    I'm more inclined to listen to you Malibu :+1::bigsmile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You just need to decide on a strategy and stick to it for awhile to see if it works, Christine. None of us knows if that's an accurate burn for you. It looks right to me, or at least comparable to what I would burn for that many steps and I have always eaten what Fitbit tells me to eat. But until you actually either eat back all your calories, half of your calories, or none of your calories for a month or so and gauge your results against Fitbit's prediction for you, you're not going to be sure.*

I also agree that most MFP users do not understand how Fitbit works.

*that means choose just one of those options and do it consistently. Not jump around from one to another.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I just now read on the boards that if you up your activity level from sedentary to lightly active or active than ignore the fitbit steps as they are already counted in my activity settings of lightly active.

That's wrong. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn & your MFP activity level.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, then eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

If you increase your activity level, then you'll start with more calories but get smaller adjustments.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ^^^^ You're right ^^^^ It's only been 3 weeks. And I have chopped and changed from one to another quite a few times!! :flushed:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Well, actually, you didn't understand at the time, how much potential inaccuracy there was in just MFP as a tool.

If you followed the MFP method, logged exercise, ate back those calories, reached your daily eating goal, and lost exactly what you selected to lose - then you were indeed the rare bird who picked an activity level that actually matched dead on your actual activity level.

If you were not losing exactly what the math said you should, then you experienced it first hand.

So was everything fine and dandy really, or just didn't know?

There's a reason why the phrase says "ignorance is bliss". If it's working well, that can be so true.

And you can duplicate that right now as so many have encouraged you to do.

Eat what MFP says to eat.

You trusted MFP before without probably totally understanding where the goal came from - why should you now decide that not-understanding means you should not follow it?
  • thorsonej
    thorsonej Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just to give you an idea of how accurate the Fitbit can be, I did the math for the past 30 days. For reference, I have a One. My average daily burn for the month was 3057 calories. My daily average intake was 2832. Difference between the two 225 calories (I'm set at 250cal deficit, but don't always stick exactly to it). Mathematically I should have lost 1.9lbs in the past month. I lost 1.6lbs. I'd say that's pretty darn close for what is nothing more than an estimate.

I manually log all of my non-step exercises, and weigh as much of my food as is practical. I just eat what MFP/Fitbit tell me to eat, and lose just about the predicted amount of weight. I'm sure if I was 100% accurate with my intake measurement, it'd be even closer, but sometimes it's just not feasible to weight everything.