The Sadness of Sucking in Front of Other People

Options
AllanMisner
AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
I dropped into a box in Calgary this morning and what is the the skill work? Snatches and Overhead Squats. If my life depended on it, and I had to do an OHS with weight, I'd just let them shoot me. This was made worse by the fact I've spent over 24 hours in air planes over the past three days, so my hips are ubertight.

Then, what is the WOD? A ten minute AMRAP - 60 Burpee over bar, 30 OH Squats, and 10 muscle ups. Weak engine, and I can't physically do two of the three movements... I did all of the burpees before time ran out, and made a feeble attempt at OH squats with a dowel. I hate sucking around strangers.

Replies

• Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling! My husband and I visited a box while traveling once ... they introduced us as the visitors, then everyone paid attention to how much we sucked. I feel so much better being awful in front of people who are used to my awful ... :wink:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Good inspiration to do some mobility work. I try to get in 30 minutes after every WOD. I WILL get a good front rack this year even if I have to torture myself daily to do it.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    Good inspiration to do some mobility work. I try to get in 30 minutes after every WOD. I WILL get a good front rack this year even if I have to torture myself daily to do it.

Funny enough, I spent a lot of time on the plane stretching and working my wrist, elbows and shoulders, and had we done front squat, I'd have been okay with the rack position. I had no idea how tight my hips were until I tried to squat.

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :-( That sucks. Luckily I've found that most people are paying attention so much to their own bugaboos that they don't notice yours at all. haha
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    :-( That sucks. Luckily I've found that most people are paying attention so much to their own bugaboos that they don't notice yours at all. haha

I know. But I did give up my olympic bar to guy for the WOD (they didn’t have enough standard bars for the number of men in the class) because I would have only been using the bar for the burpees.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I did a WOD at a box in London once, they started with agility ladder warm up which I'd never done before so was very uncoordinated and slow at, then 15 mins EMOM 5 rep snatches followed by 5 rounds for time of something like 30 kettlebell swings, 50 box jumps and 100 air squats. The only time I've ever skipped reps. And I don't even feel bad, half of that would have been a decent workout. It was actually ridiculous. The next class had started and some of us were still going. I was thinking do they do this every day?! I hope not... But yeah, even with skipping reps I was the last to finish.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just gotta say: Quit yer whining, you buttercups!
    I can run an eight-minute mile for at least five miles. I can squat 250 pounds for reps. And, I play tennis about four times a week.
    But I am over 50 years old and I come in last in the WODs at my box every time -- except a few times, when the WOD was heavy on running, or those times I took a scaled weight for my lifts and it was WAY too light for me.
    You'll get over it.
    Is Crossfit still fun? Yes. Heck yes, it is.
    So, does it suck to be the feeble, little wimp in the bunch? No, it does not. It is a gas!
    Ha
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    I did a WOD at a box in London once, they started with agility ladder warm up which I'd never done before so was very uncoordinated and slow at, then 15 mins EMOM 5 rep snatches followed by 5 rounds for time of something like 30 kettlebell swings, 50 box jumps and 100 air squats. The only time I've ever skipped reps. And I don't even feel bad, half of that would have been a decent workout. It was actually ridiculous. The next class had started and some of us were still going. I was thinking do they do this every day?! I hope not... But yeah, even with skipping reps I was the last to finish.

I'm sorry, 500 *kitten* air squats in a single workout? That's a hero WOD, not a regularly daily workout.

That's utterly ridiculous. Imagine someone coming in for their first CF workout and facing THAT? They'd never come back.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm the gym turtle. I decided a long time ago to own my suckage with pride.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am dropping in at an out of town CrossFit gym on Friday, I hope I represent myself well there.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I just gotta say: Quit yer whining, you buttercups!
    I can run an eight-minute mile for at least five miles. I can squat 250 pounds for reps. And, I play tennis about four times a week.
    But I am over 50 years old and I come in last in the WODs at my box every time -- except a few times, when the WOD was heavy on running, or those times I took a scaled weight for my lifts and it was WAY too light for me.
    You'll get over it.
    Is Crossfit still fun? Yes. Heck yes, it is.
    So, does it suck to be the feeble, little wimp in the bunch? No, it does not. It is a gas!
    Ha

I find it hard to believe you come in last all the time except for running WODs. Are the rest of the members in their 20s and have been doing CF for at least 2 years? :)

I have been doing CF for 10 months now and I cannot so many things... it's getting frustrating! Especially since I come in early, leave late, and spend Friday evenings for an hour just working on the stuff I cannot do!

My number one challenge is OH Squats, not even close... it's like impossible! I will just keep trying, and trying...

I really want to do the Granite Games this year... if I can only learn the movements!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am exaggerating only slightly
  • mlawrence911
    mlawrence911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing Crossfit for about 2 months. I am still the last person done for Reps/Rounds, and I have the slowest time every time. But, I realized that I can finally make it through a warm up without feeling exhausted...lol

I try not to care what the other people think and keep reminding myself that I went from sitting on the couch every night to doing a WOD/Row class 4 nights a week. That's an achievement!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    You're doing great. I remember very early on thinking that if I can get through the warmup without dying I'll be doing good.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Up in Calgary, their warm ups were killer. That plus the altitude and dry air, I was winded after the warm up and my heart rate was in cardio range during the deadlift session.

I know a week and two workouts (and the extra walking I did during the week) wasn’t enough to be adaptive, but I felt pretty good yesterday in my own box.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When my box started at the beginning of the year I was the only girl so I always thought I was doing awesome as I didn't feel I had any 'competition'. Now there's a whole bunch of girls, often fresh newbies who are frickin' awesome and I finish my WODs 10 mins behind them. It's hard not to compare yourself to others but you do just have to try to focus on being your personal best... it's soooooo tough though!!
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    In reality, I am okay that I’m near last at my box. These guys (and gals) see me at it week after week and know I’m working hard. It really only bothers me when I’m walking in at a box where the coaches are watching me to make sure I don’t die on them.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Any time you exert yourself at altitude it can be a surprise. When I was in Japan we did a tour of a volcano. You bussed up most of the way but had to walk up to the crater, maybe a half a mile of steady incline. About halfway up I was absolutely sucking wind and I turned to ask my friends if it was just me and they were both doing the same. We then remembered that we were at 11,000 feet so we didn't feel that bad.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »
    I am dropping in at an out of town CrossFit gym on Friday, I hope I represent myself well there.

I switched CrossFit gyms a couple of months ago and right away I felt that my new place was much more challenging than what I had been used to at my old gym. The gym I dropped in at on Friday was more in line with my old gym and I feel like I did really well; RX'd the WOD and was super fast.

• Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In reality, I am okay that I’m near last at my box. These guys (and gals) see me at it week after week and know I’m working hard. It really only bothers me when I’m walking in at a box where the coaches are watching me to make sure I don’t die on them.

I hear ya Allan, I usually go balls to the walls while doing everything and I see the coaches over there looking at me whispering (I imagine they are saying keep an eye on him, we don't want him to die on us). I workout like I am in my 20's yet I am in my 50's. I know they are afraid they will look over and catch me trying to back squat 300 lbs... LOL!