FB, MFP, and Runtastic. Also rainy days

Options
MommyRie123
MommyRie123 Posts: 5 Member
I am so confused! I use MFP to track my food, runtastic to track my walks/runs, and FB to track my steps. When it is rainy and cold like ithas been lately, I do 30 minutes on the recumbent bike and log it manually into MFP.

I have absolutely no idea if I am doing this correctly, but I am losing, so I must be doing something right, right?

Replies

• katesmash
    katesmash Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I believe the recommendation is to enter all food onto MFP, all activity/exercise onto Fitbit. So that would mean making a manual entry onto Fitbit for your recumbent bike (you can choose the time frame you were on as well)

From what I understand (I just got my FB Charge HR last week) if you are using Runtastic and FB at the same time, it may be doubling your exercise recording (therefore overestimating your burned calories). I started just using the Fitbit app to track my runs (with GPS) and stopped using Runtastic.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to use Runtastic Road Bike or try using the Fitbit app and setting it to a biking activity, once I have a chance to get out on my bike.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    katesmash wrote: »
    I believe the recommendation is to enter all food onto MFP, all activity/exercise onto Fitbit. So that would mean making a manual entry onto Fitbit for your recumbent bike (you can choose the time frame you were on as well)

From what I understand (I just got my FB Charge HR last week) if you are using Runtastic and FB at the same time, it may be doubling your exercise recording (therefore overestimating your burned calories). I started just using the Fitbit app to track my runs (with GPS) and stopped using Runtastic.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to use Runtastic Road Bike or try using the Fitbit app and setting it to a biking activity, once I have a chance to get out on my bike.

It won't double count if you put in the exact time, but Runtastic will tell MFP what you burned, which will then send to Fitbit and override what it says you burned. When I walk with RunKeeper, I let Fitbit send the calories to MFP (as should be done with all step-based exercise) and just follow RunKeeper's GPS and tracking, which I find better than FB's.
  • Jlstreck
    Jlstreck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use MFP, FB, and Endomondo (similar to Runtastic). What I learned after some serious confusion was to have the FB and Endomondo both sync directly to MFP. Once the workout hits MFP it will show up as a workout in FB with the appropriate time and such. When I first started I had them all linked to each other and kept getting crazy duplicate entries.
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So here's what I do, and it seems to be working:
    1. I track all of my formal exercise using RunKeeper.
    2. I track my general daily activity level with the FitBit.
    3. I track my food in MFP.
    4. Runkeeper and FitBit both sync to MFP. Runkeeper data show up as if they were manually added - overwriting steps during that time with the more accurate calorie burn.
  • MommyRie123
    MommyRie123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So here's what I do, and it seems to be working:
    1. I track all of my formal exercise using RunKeeper.
    2. I track my general daily activity level with the FitBit.
    3. I track my food in MFP.
    4. Runkeeper and FitBit both sync to MFP. Runkeeper data show up as if they were manually added - overwriting steps during that time with the more accurate calorie burn.
    This is exactly what I do, and as I mentioned, I'm losing weight at a steady pace (1-2 pounds per week) so I lust be doing something right. Thanks everyone!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fitbit database entry for recumbent would be a more accurate calorie burn estimate compared to MFP, if you are going to manually log it.
    If using the calorie burn from the machine or HRM, then it doesn't matter.