Advice on HUGE races

Options
jessspurr
jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
Hey runners!
In five weeks I am participating in the San Diego Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon. Why? Because my mom and cousin wanted to and I wanted a trip to San Diego. I'm not sure a Rock and Roll race was on my running bucket list, but whatever. I am from a town of 30K and the running community is small here. Most of the 5-10Ks here have like 50 people running them. The largest race I ran was my marathon last year and I think there were about 300-400 people in that.
What am I in for here with this Rock and Roll thing in San Diego? Do you have any advice for a country bumpkin? I am really looking forward to the experience but I think there is going to be A LOT of people. I have myself in the 12:30 pace group. Is it better to be in the slower pace group or the faster pace group? Does it REALLY take 45 minutes to get to the starting line? Aaack! Fear of the unknown here!

Replies

• sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i don't know anything about the SD set up but here's my big race experience

i ran disney in Orlando in 2013 (the year before they cut back the entry numbers - approx 25,000 runners i believe) and there were definite bottle necks at some spots to the point where we had to actually walk.
    it was confirmed in the first 5 minutes it wasn't going to be a PR type race so i just ran it with my friend and we had a blast taking our time.
    try to get in as fast a corral as possible. i was supposed to be in "B" but my friend didn't have a time submitted so we got bumped back to E and there were people walking 4 wide less than a km into the race.
    my race was a staggered start so we didn't actually start running until a half an hour after the race officially started.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2013 - 39,000 finished the race. If there's one good thing about a big race, it's that it makes it hard to go out too fast. Waiting around for your corral to start sucks. I did Disney this year and, like sinister2014, moved back to run with some friends. We didn't start actually running until about 45 minutes after the "start".
    I did the Nashville marathon (another Rock 'n Roll event) and thought they did an ok job. I wasn't wowed by it, but it was ok.
    I guess the only real advice is to enjoy the day, don't worry about a slow start - if you really want to, you can always make up the time in later miles. And, hey, you'll be in San Diego. Can't be all bad.
  • Colorado_Joni
    Colorado_Joni Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also no experience with RnR SD, but last fall I ran the Chicago marathon. Took awhile for me to get past the start line, but I prepared myself for that going into it. During that time, I really just did my best to relax and stay calm - chat with someone, take some photos, visualize yourself crossing the finish line! Honestly, once things got going, I never felt crowded, and there were 40,000 runners! I have felt way more crowded at smaller races, as they tend to be on smaller roads/trails and are sometimes not as well organized. Don't sweat it too much, as the RnR organization is well experienced in crowd control. Hope you have a blast!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not sure about SD specifically, but from my experience doing large races (Disney half, Bix 7 (19k people running 7 miles!), Chicago half), expect the first 1-2 miles to be a bit below pace. Don't immediately try to dart forward and around other people, because you'll tire yourself out. You'll have to exercise a lot of patience, because people will cut you off and you'll unknowingly cut off other people, and it will be overwhelming and frustrating. I find that it's easier if you go with the flow more or less for 1-2 miles, and avoid the first aid station when people are the most bunched up.

I don't know how many people are in the SD RnR, but at Chicago, I was in corral K or something out of like, A-Z maybe, and there were 30k people there, and it definitely didn't take more than 10 minutes to get to the start. So 45 minutes is probably an exaggeration :)
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I ran the SD Rock n' Roll Marathon as my 1st (and only, 2nd will be Sunday) marathon but it was 12 years ago and prior to them adding in the 1/2 marathon option. There will be a TON of people and thus plan for more time for everything (bathroom, getting your bib at the expo, the start line, etc). Also, make a clear plan with your family on where to meet after the race. They have huge "family reunion" area set up with letters on tall polls. Pick a time and letter and have that be your meet spot. Even if you are running together there is a chance you will lose each other. :)

It takes a long time for all of the waves to start. So if you are starting with the 12:30 group it just may take you 30-45 minutes to get to the actual start line (i.e 10 waves in front of you with 3 minutes in between start times would take about 30-35 minutes for everyone to start in those waves ahead of you). Your time will be chipped though and your actual time won't start until you cross the start line. If you plan on actually running/keeping a 12:30 pace then you are probably good in that corral/wave. If you are trying be conservative and generally run faster (i.e 12/11:30 pace) then you may be better off trying to change to a faster corral.

You should have awesome crowd support and hopefully great weather. Enjoy!
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've mostly participated in big races and like the crowd support and such that offers. I have run RnR DC half twice and yes it might take you that long to get to the start as they hold each group a bit for crowding purposes. Just give yourself plenty of time at the expo, to get to the start line, etc. (Although sometimes I find the bigger races have very quick well organized expos). Also personally at the bigger races I avoid checking a bag if at all possible so that is one less crowded thing to worry about. And if you are meeting up with friends or family after the race, pick a place in advance in case phones aren't working or something (it has happened to me!) Relax, and good luck!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Make sure that if you are planning on running together that you wear a color that will stand out. I ran a smallish 5K a couple of weekends ago (5,000 run/walkers) and because it was the Angel's race everyone was wearing their race shirts. The hubby and I wore our normal running attire. Really helped that he was in white in a sea of red when we got separated due to walkers, slow runners.

When I ran surf city (tons of people) hubby was able to find me because I was wearing grey capris and the majority of other people were wearing black.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    Thanks everybody! So, the race is in San Diego, but it starts at 6:50am. If we have to be in our "corrals" waiting for a long time (30-45 minutes). What do people do about warmth during that time? I am planning on just wearing a tank top for the run because even that early, once I get started a tank top will be fine, but I'm worried about the standing around...I'm thinking disposable mylar blanket?
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I will sometime get a sweatshirt at Kmart or goodwill that I will discard at the start. Often races will have a pick-up and donation to goodwill of everything that gets left (although you might want to verify that for the RnR San Diego). It will be chilly (okay...I am a CA resident) in the morning in San Diego.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I will sometime get a sweatshirt at Kmart or goodwill that I will discard at the start. Often races will have a pick-up and donation to goodwill of everything that gets left (although you might want to verify that for the RnR San Diego). It will be chilly (okay...I am a CA resident) in the morning in San Diego.

I did this for the Baltimore marathon. I got a sweatshirt for $5 or $10 at Walmart, but it ended up being so soft and comfy that I was sad to toss it aside! You could also dig around at a Goodwill for some oversized sweater or an 80s-style warm up jacket. Or wear a garbage bag (though that's far less cute ;))
  • jessspurr
    Options
    Well, I'm looking at photos of the starting line from previous years and everyone seems to just be chillin' sleeveless. I guess I will also have a couple of mornings in SD before the race to feel it out. Thanks everyone!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    *shudder* sounds horrible.

Most of the races I've got on the calendar are capped at 400-500
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm from the area. Although I've never run RnR I've done a couple of other popular races in SD. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the expo to get your bib, as it'll be a pain to park. Get to the start line early as well as the parking will get more difficult as the morning goes. The morning will be chilly but a lot of people actually have issues with the heat during this race. You'll be standing around for a long while before the start so keep sipping on water and hydrate at every aid station if you're not used to the warmer/humid weather. If you feel you're too far back in the corrals you can always sneak further up. I like to start in the slow corrals though so I don't go out too fast. The RnR races are generally very well organized though and have huge alphabetized meeting areas from A-Z so you can plan to wait for friends ahead of time. Don't bother with a drop bag, it's always more of a hassle than it's worth at these big races. Check out the Ghirardelli Chocolate shop while you're in downtown SD :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Chicago Marathon was my first big race. I would just arrive to everything early. The race should do a good job of guiding folks around, as it is not your first race either. Take a look at the start line, course, and expo maps and reread the guidelines that were provided to you.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've run the full at RnR SD the past two years. For the starting line questions, you should realize you can't park at the starting line and it is not the same location as the finish. You take a shuttle from the finish area to the park which can take almost 30 minutes. Normally conditions are warm enough you don't need any throw away clothes.

I haven't done the half but I've heard the course is real nice and fast. The last 3-4 miles you are running alongside the marathoners and it is a huge mass of people. There are 3-4 traffic lanes dedicated to the half and it looked like a solid wall of people coming down the hill. I do not know what pace group that was so your experience may be different. The finishing area is huge but there are so many people wandering about with no idea of where they are supposed to go it can be a bit of a mess.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    *shudder* sounds horrible.

I sort of agree with you. Running a huge race is something I've wanted to experience, but I imagine once will be enough!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have run several Rock n Roll races. I really love their. Yes, they are a little big but the crowd typically thins out as people get through the start. They have really great course support and tons of people are out cheering you on (at least in Savannah and New Orleans).

I stay warm at the start line by wearing a trash bag.

We are doing the RnR in Portland in May.

Enjoy the race...but one thing to beware...some groups (not affiliated with the race) will have water stations and will also include beer. Could be a harsh surprise. HAA
  • jessspurr
    Options
    runfoorun wrote: »
    The morning will be chilly but a lot of people actually have issues with the heat during this race...Check out the Ghirardelli Chocolate shop while you're in downtown SD :)

Great to know! How hot are we talking? I'm shooting for under 2:30 for the half (slow, I know!) so, if it starts at 6:50, I get to the starting line at 7:30 (worst case scenario), I would be done by 10am. Will it be like 80 degrees? That might be tough for me. I have zero experience running in heat and sun. I hear that you shouldn't wear sunscreen while you are running because it stops you from sweating or something so it makes you overheat more? Oh man. A whole new side to this!
    Ghirardelli shop? That sounds like heaven!
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    LA Marathon was my first big race and I went into it as with a Prom attitude: relax, have fun, enjoy the sights, crowd, and experience. Save your PR efforts for smaller races.

Ask friends for old clothes they are going to get rid of to wear while waiting for the start. I still have my old clothes from my obese days, so discarding those at the start of a race is pretty rewarding.

I never thought I would run a RnR event because of their recent problems in the courts, but the recent running cruise I booked included RnR Seattle as part of the cruise, so I decided to part take in June.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jessspurr wrote: »
    I hear that you shouldn't wear sunscreen while you are running because it stops you from sweating or something so it makes you overheat more? Oh man. A whole new side to this!
    Coming from someone who lives in the land of skin cancer (Damn Ozone hole!!!) wear the sunscreen. I've never heard of it causing over heating or interfering with sweating.
    Just make sure you get it on an hour or so before the race so it can be absorbed. If you're going to skip any area's it would be the forehead/above the eyes as sweat+sunscreen in the eyes is 10 times worse than straight sweat. Just wear a visor or cap if you skip.