Hip pain while running / exercising

Options
kiwiOT
kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
Can someone please offer me some (stretching/alternative) advice? Im finally running 5km consistently but Ive noticed particularly since I moved from the treadmil to outside I get this horrible ache in my right hip area. Only my right side. Used to do static stretching before any run but now I run 3 mins then do stretching then do rest of run. I also started doing groin stretches which has helped significantly but I still hurt/ache the most in the same inside hip spot hours even a day after my run. It often feels like the tip of my femur is grinding in the hip socket.. Im female, 26, got no bone issues. I really wish I could run more than 1x a week but Im afraid of really injuring myself with ignorance. Any suggestions most appreciated..

Replies

• Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My VERY strong advice is go to an ortho. When that happened to me in 2009 it turned out to be a stress fracture in my hip. My ortho said it can just happen. I was at goal and running 30 miles a week and had done three halfs. And it felt like what you are describing. You at least want someone to check it out to rule out any issues.

I was on crutches for 2 months and wasn't allowed to run for 4-5 months. He said had I kept running on the stress fracture it would have turned into a regular break in my hip.
  • sscott79
    sscott79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Shoes!!!!! Get fitted for good shoes and arch supports.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Could be IT band. It has similar symptoms where flared up on the hip end as opposed to near the knees (the other end of it). Best to get it diagnosed so you can treat it properly. Also best to let it heal. If you keep pushing it you will take longer to recover, meaning a longer time before you can run again. Some exercises can help prevent IT band issues, helpful for any runner to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
    http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/injury-prevention/10-exercises-to-treat-it-band-syndrome_125083
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I jog a 5k 5x a week and the pain in my hip would stop me in my tracks. This picture shows the stretch I do lying on the floor. Cured the pain. http://www.shapefit.com/exercise-guides/stretching-exercises-lying-hip-stretch.html
    Patsy
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I jog a 5k 5x a week and the pain in my hip would stop me in my tracks. This picture shows the stretch I do lying on the floor. Cured the pain. http://www.shapefit.com/exercise-guides/stretching-exercises-lying-hip-stretch.html
    Patsy

I have stressed a groin muscle and went to this sight, it has a lot of great stretching advise, thank you.
    I sure hope to be running again soon.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ITB suggestion. Have you seen a doc? Sometimes when we pick up an activity, like running, after not having had much physical engagement in a while and you can/will develop muscle imbalances.

My husband has a similar issue to what is going on with you. He got some advice from a doctor a few weeks back and it seems to be helping. His particular problem IS muscle imbalance. He runs tight, with his arms close and lacks a natural relaxed posture running. This altered posture has cause him to lose or not gain muscle strength in his glutes and he is having medial glute pain, outer hip.

My two cents would be to do some cross training, weather it be formal- like swimming, biking, aerobics, pilates ect... or just an evening going through some runners type yoga or exercises in your living room.

My husband was prescribed no running until he can lay on his side and lift his leg to the ceiling with applied resistance. Hip triangle exercises several times a day were suppose to be the way to re-engage those weak sleepy glutes.

Good luck! Physical therapy might also be a great way for you to find out whats going on. They are usually helpful and can come up with an at home regimen so you aren't paying for added expenses.