What do you do for exercise?

Options
mikemusky44
mikemusky44 Posts: 218 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Well there is one thing I can do here that I couldn't do on the Nutrisystem website and that is share and review my exercise routine (they kept deleting my posts anytime I mentioned P90x3).

Swati and I started doing P90x3 about a week after we started Nutrisystem. We had actually done the original P90x a few years back and I lost 30 lbs but gained it all back and then some. The biggest problem was that I did not change my eating habits (or continue exercising).

I thought about doing P90x along with NS but the thought of 1-1 1/2 hour workouts each day were not appealing. Plus I would need to increase my food intake and I wanted to stick with the NS plan as much as possible. Fortunately, P90x3 is only 30 minutes per day and while intense, I find it to be much easier than the original. Plus, there is a great variety (Calisthenics, Yoga, Pilates, Martial Arts, Upper Body, Lower Body, Weightlifting, Cardio with and without weights, etc).

P90x3 seems really geared towards losing weight in addition to adding muscle. Swati and I are coming to the end of our second month and are both still enjoying it immensely. Because it is only 30 minutes, we really do not need to compensate by adding extra food. The only time I tend to do so is on the weight lifting days.

I'm curious to see when it comes to exercising on Nutrisystem - Are you following a program, winging it or something else?

Replies

• rlhealey
    rlhealey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get out and walk 20 minutes a day ,3 days a week. I'm hoping to introduce at least a 2 mile run in the coming weeks.
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I walk and hula hoop. My goal is at least 3 miles a day.
  • faithfornsKathie
    faithfornsKathie Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill mostly everyday. When its nice outside I walk on trails. I also do the Leslie Sansone DVD's too.
  • Shie1
    Shie1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My main exercise is walking. I try to break 5 miles (~12,000 steps) a day. This includes a walk around capital park during the work day (one mile in 20 minutes); general movement during the day; and a 30 to 45 minute walk in the evening with my dog. The walks are done at a nice pace. On the weekends, the walks are longer, and I might throw in a bicycle ride (I even include my dog here). Oh, and I also walk by my "exercise room" and look at T-Rex (my elliptical -- yes it has a name) pretty much every day. My intent is to get on his back and ride 30 minutes every other day...but that hasn't happened yet. I know it will come. Maybe if I put an NS cookie on the highest part, which would mean I would have to stand on the peddles to reach it, I would get on the thing. Well, it works with my dog when I want her to learn a new trick. lol Anywho...are you sorry you asked the question? love you guys! P~
  • SueBready
    SueBready Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a gym. I do cardio 4 times a week (mainly the treadmill running a fast walking) for a hour each time and weight training 2 x a week for about 45 minutes each time. It's working well for me and the gym is 4.5632 minutes from work!
  • Shie1
    Shie1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    lol Sue, you have trip time from work to gym timed down to a Gnat's ... oops :blush:
  • Katherine52459
    Katherine52459 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I walk at least two miles every day. I try to make it to five miles each day; that doesn't always happen.
  • kdubskwags
    kdubskwags Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym each morning. Try to get in 2.5 miles in 35 minutes then spend about 15 with weights.
  • TheDaddyBear
    TheDaddyBear Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been using an at home youtube workout twice a week with the occasional swim aerobics class at the local ywca
  • dottieketostrong
    dottieketostrong Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. Sometimes I walk/jog on a trail downtown that has a 5K marked. Sometimes I do zumba along with a DVD. Sometimes I do circuit training here at home. I have a punching bag, light weights, kettle ball, aerobic step, and I just do each of these until 45 minutes is up. I just ordered 2 Leslie Sansome CDs. One is called Belly Blaster and it is a lot more intense than her other walking videos. She adds in a lot of low impact aerobic stuff and covers 2 miles in 30 minutes. Then there are 2 sessions of floor exercises that last 10 min. each. It was pretty tuff. There were planks and push ups and stuff.
  • grmshelle
    grmshelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm blessed with a tender shoulder so I have been trying to walk at least 45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. I have a workout room that is currently collecting dust :smile:
  • grmshelle
    Options
    I was a Beachbody groupie for over three years. I must have every program, some I liked some I didn't. I hope to get back to T25 or P90X3 soon when the old bones let me. mikemusky44...Many years ago I did P90X and completed it but got so bored by the end of the program, 90 days is to long for my attention span.
  • mikemusky44
    mikemusky44 Posts: 218 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    grmshelle - My wife and I felt the same way about P90X - my least favorite was the 1 1/2 hours of yoga - Yikes! I was flexible as heck but seriously? I wonder if there really is anybody that did the Yoga day for a full 13 weeks - lol.

We are loving the P90x3 though - 2 months in and we're already talking about doing another round. Definitely some nice muscle growth already and, due to the pace, I feel like it contributes more to weight loss than P90x. An added plus is that we are not reliant on the weather for workouts. We're do P90x3 every morning but occasionally (about once or twice per week) we throw in a cardio dvd (Cardio x from p90x is one of my favorites) or go hiking.

We actually like all of the P90x3 workouts but both of us love the MMX (martial arts). I'm pretty sure the martial arts dvd also burns the most calories. I read online that Combat was very similar. Beachbody had it on clearance and I picked it up last week for under $40. Haven't tried any of those yet but will soon (as one of my additional cardio sessions). I really like the Beachbody products that aren't too repetitive. I purchased T25 but couldn't get into it. But then again I was at my all time high of 254 lbs. Maybe it will be more fun in a few weeks and manageable in a few weeks when I am under 210?

Perhaps I shouldn't have rambled on for so long? You did mention your attention span - laughing.
  • grmshelle
    Options
    Mikemusky44...can I call you Mike? I have done Les Mills Combat and I love it. I also love Les Mills Pump. I wanted more but they are no longer doing programs for Beachbody and I haven't figured out where to get more. If you do Combat one of these days my favorite one is Power Kata 45. You might like the Yoga too, it is only 20 minutes--Shelle
  • Wen_Mitchell
    Wen_Mitchell Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try to walk at least 20 min a day.
  • beckajean0813
    beckajean0813 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 5 miles a day and also do upper body and crunchless ab exercises 3-4 times a week. My ability to exercise is somewhat limited due to a very bad back. Ugh! It won't stop me though. Where there's a will, there's a way!
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical which I like a lot. And, I have a few Leslie DVDs - which I probably won't be doing now that the weather is nice. I some times walk around the neighborhood. I have dumbbells and a bench for doing beginning weight training. And, I love to work outside around the house in the garden, landscaping areas - mowing the lawn, etc.