Insulin Resistant/PCOS/Metformin/Diet

Options
Hi ladies,

So yesterday I got a call from my doctor, of course I was told I was insulin resistant because it's a PCOS thing but she also told me if I keep doing what I'm doing I will have diabetes in 1 year :o . Is there any diets or tips you have that you can share. I'm going to start on Metformin today, anyone taking that that as seen good results? Please help your PCOS cyster out!

Replies

• dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started taking metformin two weeks ago and actually gained weight which could have been water, a fluke, or the mentality that "the metformin will help, I'll just eat what I want." Now, I didn't go too overboard but I definitely wasn't all that diligent either.

I buckled down and went back to eating the way I did the first time I was put on metformin 6 years ago. From a lot of trial and error I can say there's no one magic diet to follow for everyone, but for me staying under 100 gm of carbs per day makes a huge difference. Not just in my weight (but I did lose 1.8 lbs last week and that's more than I've lost in a week since I started MFP 100 days ago), but in the way I feel. I eat under 100 gm of carbs, about 75 gm of protein a day. I know it's not technically a low-carb diet (and far from keto diets) but it does work for me. As I hit plateaus, I plan to continue reducing carbs.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have IR PCOS, take Metformin 1500 mg a day, and have been doing this for about 3 years. I was about 20 lbs overweight when I received my diagnosis, and I've been at a healthy weight now for 2 years (had a baby in that time too). While I have focused on my diet, I believe the main thing that has helped me lose the weight and keep diabetes at bay had been exercising. Exercising, even just taking a walk, after eating helps control blood sugar. I work out pretty intensely for an hour four days a week, and I get some form of exercise, maybe just walking, the other three days.

Just wanted to chime in with the exercise suggestion. While I'm sure I'll be on Metformin forever, count my calories and sugar forever, and have to exercise daily forever, if it keeps me from diabetes, heart disease, and uterine cancer, I'm all for it!!

MFP had been a great tool in getting healthy. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. Best wishes as you start Met!
  • Magadelana
    Magadelana Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist has put me on Victoza. She says it is supposed to reset my body and hormones. My pancreas is producing 3 times the amount of insulin that i need and it is going to burnout. I have lost a couple of pounds (1 month so far), and I know that once I get my diet really dialed in it will help even more. It is an alternative to Metformin and I'm okay with stabbing myself in the stomach. I have found that I get nauseated but its nothing like being on Metformin and having my insides trying to escape! ;) I have been able to stay consistent with my couple days a week workout routine on it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Magadelana wrote: »
    My endocrinologist has put me on Victoza. She says it is supposed to reset my body and hormones. My pancreas is producing 3 times the amount of insulin that i need and it is going to burnout. I have lost a couple of pounds (1 month so far), and I know that once I get my diet really dialed in it will help even more. It is an alternative to Metformin and I'm okay with stabbing myself in the stomach. I have found that I get nauseated but its nothing like being on Metformin and having my insides trying to escape! ;) I have been able to stay consistent with my couple days a week workout routine on it.

Umm....then why did your doctor put you on a drug that stimulates insulin secretion?
  • lori_malo
    lori_malo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I took victoza. I ended up with severe gastroparesis.
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Pcos with IR here. I take 2000 mg of Metformin XR and 200 mg Spironolactone daily. I have seen a dramatic change in unwanted hair growth, acne, weight loss and overall energy levels. Birth control didn't work for me, so Spiro it is! My Endo is amazing and my best suggestion is to get a really good endocrinologist.