Protein bars

Options
Which ones do you all eat? The cal/sugars sometimes are so high that I avoid them, but they're good if I need a snack or if I am short of my protein goals. I have found decent shakes but they don't keep me full like a bar does, and they're harder to keep cold in a purse. Thanks!

Replies

• duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i just recently started looking for some on the net..there is a bar called Nugo carbe smart, comes in 2 flavors..chocolate pnut butter crunch and chocolate cherry...actually really good ones taste wise-compared to others that are healthier for us..appox 190 cal and 150 cal, 4 and 3 g fat, 0 sugar and 20g protein, and 16g protein..they are only sold in 12pk bars and the site is www.nugonutrition.com...However, i called them and told them about just having my surgery and he sent me a sample of each. They have a lot of different flavors and types, but only the carbe smart type has anything close to this for nutrtion...The next kind ive found closest in healthier nutrition for us has been Pure Protein bar, but the only flavor ive been able to tolerate has been the chocolate salted caramel, 200 cal, 5g fat, 3 sugar and 19 g protein. All of the others has had either wayyyy too much fat with the low sugar value or higher fat and sugar with lil protein value. i am interested to see what other people have found, this search has been a very expensive and frustrating one for me recently..ughh..lol
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Quest bars seem to be the most popular - best protein bang for the calorie buck, if you will, and low in sugar. The cookies and cream flavor is decent (as far as protein bars go).
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Question bars for me to.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just love spell check not question quest
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    HAHA I get spellcheck problems like that all the time ac7nj :smile: Thanks for the suggestions. I will try quest next!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    PowerCrunch is my favorite... about 14g protein, 8g carbs and 13g fat... A little too high on fat but cant beat the taste.

Second is Quest, Cookie dough...
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have only tried one of the Quest bars...I think it was the apple cinnamon. I didn't really care for it because of the texture (I have issues with food textures, lol). I have posted about this before...but I really love the Quest protein chips! I think they are amazing! I know some people have posted that it scares them to eat them because chips were a trigger in the past for them...I never really had an issue with chips before so they are a great option for me. They have 21g of protein, 120 calories, and 5g carbs for one bag.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest as well. Lots of protein and fiber in them. I like the cookies and cream, cookie dough, banana muffin, chocolate peanutbutter, s'more and coconut cashew. The power crunch are tasty but not as much protein as Quest. Pure protein is also good (These tend to be cheaper and easier to find). They have a lot of protein.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Quest bars and Power Crunch bars for me. I tried others and couldn't stand them. Power Crunch don't have as much protein grams in them but are yummy if you put them in the freezer. They don't travel well in your purse as they melt due to the icing on the wafer.
    I usually stock up on those two brands when on sale. My local Schnucks grocery store had Power Crunch bars 10 for $10 and 11th one free so I bought like 40 bars !
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well I like the pure protein bars or the premier protein bars. Both satisfy my need for the protein and the filling the tummy at the right time. I usually use them right after a workout. Or if I am needing of protein at the end of a day.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars, and recently I tried Promax lower sugar bars and I like them a lot too.
  • juneaubug
    juneaubug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars (although not all the flavors). My favorites are choc chip cookie dough, which chocolate raspberry, and peanut butter and jelly.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My favs are quest cookies and creme and chocolate chip cookie dough. Double chocolate isn't bad either. Mint chocolate just released yesterday and I can't wait to try it. If you have texture issues, they are great warmed slightly. I unwrap and microwave 10 seconds. If on the go, a back pocket, defrost heat in the windshield or sun work well too.

I like a couple flavors of power crunch. As mentioned they aren't as good macro wise (less protein) as quest but a lot easier to find and cheaper. I like the peanut butter fudge the best, and of course, ny walmart doesn't carry them, so it's still a trip to gnc or vitamin shoppe. I usually find i want a big glass of milk with or after these, and since that's not always a good thing....I'll use them but only in a pinch.

Pure protein double chocolate is fantastic, cheap, and easy to find. Funny that I hated the caramel.

I stay away from premier bars, despite the awesomeness of the drink the bars are 100cal more for the same protein. I use maybe half a bar at a time as a snack, but don't make habit of buying them.

I've tried sugar cookie and mint chocolate from another company called bup. B'up bars are a lot softer than quest if you have texture concerns, very similar macros. No chunks like quest. Free shipping if you can't get them locally and great customer service. I started following them on instagram. My first order came with a free bar, bracelet, handwritten note from the founder. Inwon a contest they had too, free 12pack of bars and got even more freebies. I want to try some other flavors. I loke cutting them and baking them into cookies. Ive also seen people make them into tiny pieces, bake, then after cooling, eat it as cereal.

My friend just showed me target brand protein bars. They look and have very similar macros to pure protein, much cheaper. I'm going to check them out.

I also used life choice protein bars preop, and have just recently tried them again post. I love the chocolate mint (notice a trend?). I find these in the cereal aisle at walmart. Theybhave energy bars and another variety. I just go for the protein. I think thenother flavor is peanut butter.

Sorry for any typos. Not autocorrect, im using my phone on the elliptical. :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I prefer Quest bars because I've found for what I can buy locally they have better nutrition, fewer calories and more protein. Good flavor choices too. Some people don't like the consistency, but that doesn't bother me. They are very dense, so very filling.

I was given a Isagenix, IsaLean Bar today, traded someone who wanted me to try her program for a Quest bar. Flavor wise very good, a dense bar with a good consistency, but more calories for slightly lower protein. Probably won't buy them for that very reason.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Caramel 190 calories and 20 grams of protein. A little higher on carbs than I like but they taste like a candy bar only packed with protein.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Quest fan, although I only buy them when they're on sale at GNC or other websites. I highly recommend trying a single bar of a flavor to figure out what you like before you order a whole bunch. My favorites are cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter, apple pie, cinnamon roll, and white chocolate raspberry. I like that it's an easy way to get in more protein and lots more fiber. Happy protein bar sampling and hope you find a favorite! :)
  • loribashor
    loribashor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, many flavors are really good. I usually eat half of one if I need something quick out of my purse. Also, I like the Pure Protein bars you can get at Costco - really chewy and delish.... but high in carbs, so only half at one time. These are great if you are craving chocolate - truly satisfy that craving.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Another Quest fan here. Choc Chip Cookie dough, Almond something-or-other, Banana nut muffin are my favorites.
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Quest Cinnamon bun is good if you warm in the micro a few seconds.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I just tried the new Quest flavor Mint Chocolate Chunk. Totally my new favorite now!!