Protein Powder?

Options
LoLoGB
LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
Hi all. I need help getting more protein in my diet and want to do protein powder. Looking for a high quality one that has little to no sugar. Suggestions?

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition gold standard whey. Good quality. Not overly pricy. Nice tasting. I keep chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon graham cracker on hand.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I second ON. It's a good price for the quality. I buy the 5-lb tubs on Amazon Prime in chocolate and vanilla but OMG I did not know about cinnamon graham cracker :love:
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ON extreme chocolate milk is amazing! Their soy protein powder is pretty good too.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on vegan protein powder options? I'm transitioning away from Whey Protein and would prefer to avoid Soy as well.
  • LoLoGB
    LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will have to try to ON. Although I would be interested in a vegan/vegetarian option as well!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few as I have an allergy to something in dairy that hasn't been pinpointed so I need to limit how much I get to avoid itching all over. I also try not to do the soy protein powders as get enough soy in processed foods and the occasional soy yogurt as it has protein while coconut milk yogurt pretty much doesn't (has 1 gram only).

Zen Herbal Life vanilla plant protein - eh. I don't care for it and it doesn't mix the best. I mostly use it when adding protein powder in baking. The vanilla flavor is overpowering though so it's hard to miss even when using many other spices. I made carrot cake pancakes and used it instead of vanilla extract and can taste the vanilla still.

Vega One chocolate plant protein - I just got a little, one serving, pack from the store. It's low sugar and has lots of minerals and such. I could not drink it. Needed sugar or something cause I'm not a fan of tasting all the vitamins and minerals added to the powder. Tried but just could not drink it.

Purely Inspired Nutrition vanilla plant protein - This is what I use right now for shakes. It's still not the greatest and doesn't mix well with just water. I found it works best with some yogurt of some type added. But I've found some interesting combinations like small amount of lemon gaterade, key lime yogurt (soy that time) and the powder was good, or almond milk, bit of pb2 and some plain coconut yogurt. While it didn't mix the best alone it was still manageable to drink some, unlike the vega. I also use a little nutribullet thing I got from work to blend the protein shakes. I got the powder from work as well when we had a sale so it was less than 20 dollars for the small container that I'm still working my way through.

Considering either pea, egg or beef protein powder to try next. The slight downside to some of the vegetable ones is that one scoop is only around 16 grams of protein. And they are coming out with more now but like dairy alternative products, the flavor options are still somewhat limited. Or very limited if comparing to the many flavors available in whey protein.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply with regards to non-dairy protein powders @DawnEmbers ! I really appreciate the feedback. I was considering trying the Greens Plus Protein Powder next.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Oh shut the front door - cinnamon graham cracker? I don't user powders, but I might just because that sound delicious!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    The cinnamon graham cracker is more graham crackery than cinnamon-y but I really like it for protein pancakes. I make it them using a recipe I found on this site somewhere called "ultimate protein pancakes" I did up the powder a bit and they're still good.

6oz greek yogurt
    1 egg
    30g (1/4c) flour
    30g protein powder
    1 tsp baking poweder

I use a rubber spatula to mix it all and kind of drop it onto a 300 degree electric griddle. They take longer than regular pancakes and can be a bit tricky to flip if not fully set. They spread a decent amount so be warned!

Makes 6-4"ish pancakes

I use full fat yogurt so my calories/macros are: 462cal/33c/15f/48p

If you switch to fat free (yuck ;) yogurt it would be 399cal/33c/7f/51p

The original recipe calls for 1/4c powder which is about 24g

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have tried Vega One protein (pea based, non dairy) and it was hella bad. You need to mix it with a sweetened milk to make it barely drinkable, made with just water and it was really gross. I rather down a can of tuna over that stuff.

I previously used ON 100% Soy and it was great. I was disappointed in all the other non dairy protein options as either the protein was too low, calories too high or the taste is awful.

I've now switched to the ON whey because I can stomach it now (I was vegan for many years and became lactose intolerant), more flavors and cheaper.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I get EAS (from GNC) whey protein in vanilla. Tastes good in smoothies and is not as expensive as other protein powders.
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant n can't have sugar so I use dymatize iso 100.....the vanilla one is the one I like but they have a bunch of other flavors