- DISCUSSION PAGES IN ALL CAPS

Options
mikemusky44
mikemusky44 Posts: 218 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hello All,

A bunch of us felt a daily go-to page would be a good idea to create an easy place to find information and to enter results and other info but I think there are too many topics that can be started within that page, which would defeat the purpose. When I mentioned changing the page to a daily Results page without the other information, Randy and Phyliss mentioned that they like the idea of having core pages. The good news is that there is a way to have both.

Daily Results Page

We can do a Daily Results page. Starting tomorrow, you can report your weekly results on the following thread: 4/26/12 - Weigh In On Sundays? Share Your Results. You can also just create your own discussion to share your results if you wish - it's totally up to you.

Core Pages

Some of the core pages that might work: Introductions, Recipes, Helpful Hints, etc. We can make these stand out by listing them in all CAPS. Group Members can post directly onto the page or we can take information from other discussions and enter it on that page as well.

I went ahead and created a page to give you a better idea what I mean: HELPFUL TIPS FOR USING MY FITNESS PAL. which you can find here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10147085/helpful-tips-for-using-my-fitness-pal?new=1

I took helpful hints from Morgan, Wen and obie1nancy and put them all on one easy to find page.

To make this work well, please refrain from using ALL CAPS when creating a discussion unless it is to be a Core page.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea and share any suggestions that you may have. Also, let me know what Core pages you would like to see.

Thank you! -Michael

Replies

• MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You have a great idea but unfortunaty this tread will get lost in discussion too. I really wish it would work because its over whelming to keep up with all the "new". Also they all end up off subject. I once started one about suggestions on food recipes, now its lost and more of the same type subjects have arised. Keep working on it.
  • mikemusky44
    Options
    MsDimeo wrote: »
    You have a great idea but unfortunaty this tread will get lost in discussion too. I really wish it would work because its over whelming to keep up with all the "new". Also they all end up off subject. I once started one about suggestions on food recipes, now its lost and more of the same type subjects have arised. Keep working on it.

Yes and No. Anytime a thread receives a new comment, it gets the "new" designation and also moves to the top of the first page. So lets say you have a great recipe. In addition to the thread you started, we can also copy the recipe to a - RECIPES page. Over time, your original post probably will "get lost" but every time we add a new recipe to the - RECIPES page, that thread will move to the top and your recipe will be there.

As far as ending up off subject, that is human nature. I even found myself talking about the roller coasters at Great Adventure today.

Think about it - how many times have you seen people re-blog something they believed to be important on the NS Blogs. If this works, the information such as your recipe will be re-blogged each time a new recipe is added. The Core pages would be updated regularly ensuring that they are easily visible to members on a regular basis.

I believe the Core pages can be used to accumulate and showcase information without getting off subject. The original post is the one that will be relevant for a while and then may fade but that is the nature of blogging and discussions. In my opinion, there should not be too many Core pages (10 or less).

Thank you so much for responding. I really want to help make this a great group for everybody. Then I can go back to posting just once a week like I used to. :)

• MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes i just noticed that new comments bring the topics back to the top. Thanks.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Good ideas!
  • MarySG58
    MarySG58 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me! Thanks Michael for helping our group 'get settled' into our new home! :)
    B) ~ Cool Dude Mike/Michael!
  • mikemusky44
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am going to work on setting up the Core pages this week (and am still looking fo suggestions). Believe it or not, I learned through my wife's My Page on the NS website that she really likes Pat Benatar. I always knew she liked her but never knew she liked Pat so much that she would include her in her favorites. So I am taking Swati for a night out and we're going to see Pat and her husband. I'll be back tomorrow. I am going to set up Monday's results page now. If someone could be so kind as to post a comment on the page tomorrow to bring it to the top so Monday weigh-in members can enter their results, that will be great. Thanks all!
  • tobefitJen
    tobefitJen Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just posted a new thread with my comparison weight loss pics on it. Not sure if it's better to have individual threads of those or maybe a thread where everyone could post their comparison pics. ???
  • sznsido
    sznsido Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    tobefitJen wrote: »
    I just posted a new thread with my comparison weight loss pics on it. Not sure if it's better to have individual threads of those or maybe a thread where everyone could post their comparison pics. ???
    I vote everyone thread. That makes it easier to just scroll and see them all at the same time.
  • tobefitJen
    tobefitJen Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    sznsido wrote: »
    I vote everyone thread. That makes it easier to just scroll and see them all at the same time.

I'm kind of leaning that way too, Suzanne!
  • MarySG58
    MarySG58 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    sznsido wrote: »

I agree!
  • SueBready
    SueBready Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Yep....everyone!