LGBT events in Michigan

Options
peacehawk
peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
Hi all, for anyone in the Michigan area, there are some great events happening here. Some are fun, some are political. So, I figured I'd start a discussion board where people can chime in with any events that you know are coming up in the area.

Replies

• peacehawk
    edited January 2015
    Options
    February 14, 2015 Mardi Gras/Valentine Dance in Flint this is not exclusively LGBT, but it is open to everyone. A few of the planners are family and so are the DJ and MC. Tickets are $10 and need to be purchased by February 10 so we know how much food to prepare. It is at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint. For more information, here is the Facebook event page. https://m.facebook.com/events/1532242577030845acontext={"ref":56}&aref=56&ref=bookmark

You can also private message me for details or call the church office at 810-232-4023

• peacehawk
    Options
    February 1 PFLAG Owosso this is a new group and they could use some support. Message me for details.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    February 19, 2015- Pioneering Voices: Portraits of Transgender People this is a beautiful collection of photos and stories of people of varying ages and circumstance who identify as other than their birth gender. The pictures are beautiful and the stories are inspiring. It is an exhibit that tours nationally through Family Diversity Projects. The collection is currently on display in Flint, at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint through the end of February..

On February 19, there will be a dramatic reading and special reception afterwards. The event starts at 7pm.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    February 17, 2015- Laverne Cox Live at Saginaw Valley State University

8pm
    Cost is $10
    proceeds go to benefit AIDS walk
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Sunday February 8, 2015-Aging in the LGBTQ community PFLAG Genesee County. Aging in the LGBTQ Community! presented by Judy Lewis from Affirmations. Come out and learn about the unique aspects of aging in the LGBTQ community. This informative presentation will begin at 3:30pm. (This PFLAG group meets every second Sunday of the month at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint. )
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Comedy Extravaganza starring KATHIE DUNBAR! Thursday April 2 this was very funny last year. Begins at 7pm. Go to www.pflagflint.com for details.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    meet Suzanne Westenhofer Thursday February 26 at the Ark in Ann Arbor. This is a fundraiser for The National Marriage Challenge, to raise funds for April and Jayne DeBoer - Rowse's case in the Supreme Court. Starts at 8pm. Go to the Ark's website for details.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Community Conversation in Grand Rapids Tuesday February 24, 2015 at 5:30pm
    At: The Meanwhile
    1005 Wealthy St SE 

Grand Rapids, MI 49506

This is a free event, open to the public and will be a unique opportunity for marriage equality supporters to hear from community leaders who have first-hand knowledge of what to expect in the weeks and months ahead as Michigan’s marriage case heads to the Supreme Court
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    hey, i just wanted to say, i think this thread is awesome! i'm not in Michigan but damn, if i were this would be my favorite place :)
  • peacehawk
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hey, i just wanted to say, i think this thread is awesome! i'm not in Michigan but damn, if i were this would be my favorite place :)
    Thanks! You can create a similar thread for your area! That way when someone is traveling, they know what's going on around your area. I would love to just be able to see what LGBT friendly things are going on when I travel. Like when we went to Nashville a couple years ago, we were clueless and just did regular touristy stuff.

I know there are several Mi people on here, but I haven't heard anything from them here yet. And, of course I haven't even posted MichFest yet! I'd like to see more michigan folks post events, since I know im missing a bunch.
  • peacehawk
    Options

After a successful launch (in spite of blizzard conditions) of the Owosso Area Chapter of PFLAG, we would like to invite the public to our second support meeting on March 1 from 2-5pm located at St. John’s United Church of Christ, 429 N. Washington, Owosso. Our speaker is Leslie Boker, who will talk about transgender and non-binary gender identities, and conceptualizing gender in a way that makes room for those experiences. Leslie is about to graduate from Grand Valley State University with a major in Liberal Studies and a minor in LGBTQ Studies, and is Education Chair to the group "Out 'N' About." She hopes to bring some students with her, as well as her partner.

In addition, Terri Dinsmore will be presenting once more "PFLAG Is Here! What is it?" Terri is the Michigan PFLAG coordinator, and is offering her presentation for those who missed the first meeting and would like to learn more about this organization.

Snacks and beverages will be provided at the meeting, and please also be prepared to have dinner at "Romas Back Door" after the meeting.

PFLAG is the nation's largest family and ally organization. Uniting people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) with families, friends, and allies, PFLAG is committed to advancing equality and full societal affirmation of LGBTQ people through its threefold mission of support, education, and advocacy.

If you are interested in being a part of the Owosso Chapter of PFLAG please visit us online at www.pflagowosso.org and “like” us on Facebook.
    www.pflagowosso.org
    www.pflagowosso.org
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Ferndale Pride on May 30, 2015

Ferndale will kick off its most fabulous season early this year. Residents and visitors will take to the streets on May 30th 2015 for Ferndale Pride's street fair. The weekend will include the return of the Ferndale Chamber's 5k rainbow run and 2k fun run, Rosie O' Grady's Sunday morning drag show, parties at Ferndale's bars and clubs and the fantastic food and shopping Ferndale is known for. Ferndale Pride attracts 10,000 to 15,000 participants yearly so join the fun and show your LGBTQA pride and love for the City of Ferndale. This is a free all ages event.

For more information visit: http://www.ferndalepride.com
  • peacehawk
    Options
    SUMMER OSBORNE in concert! Thursday March 26, 2015 at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint

Summer Osborne is an amazing singer/songwriter who has been nominated for some international music awards. She is upbeat and positive. To learn more about her, you can visit her website at: summerosborne.com .

Tickets are only $15 in advance ($10 for students with student ID) or $20 at the door. This is well worth the price. She puts on a great show!

Tickets available at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint.

P.s. she is one of my favorite performers.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    LGBTQ Wedding Expo on March 21

Here is a link to an article in Between the Lines Newspaper. You can find the details there.

http://www.pridesource.com/guidearticle.html?article=70007

With marriage equality a reality for 323 couples in Michigan, and quickly on the way for many more, this should be a fun event.
  • peacehawk
    edited February 2015
    Options
    INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY CELEBRATION
    "Make it Happen"
    March 8th, 2015
    6 - 8 pm

-
    All around the world, International Women's Day represents an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of women while calling for greater equality. Please join us at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint to celebrate this year's theme "Make it Happen." The multimedia event will include art, music video, spoken word and area speakers.

Speakers to include:
    Shelley Spivack -GVRC Girl's Writing Project with inclusion of spoken word presentation
    Honorable Judge David Newblatt -Initiation of Michigan's first "Girl's Court."
    Amy Roulea - Director of faith based Restoration Place
    Bobbie Walton -UN initiated International Bill of Rights for Women
    Sally Thielen -Spoken Word Diaries and Responses
    Art Installation by Kate Kirkpatrick

International Women's Day is sponsored by UUCF and the Zonta Club of Flint. Refreshments provided by Zonta. Please help us give tribute to those who are "Making it Happen" in the
    Flint community. Your attendance would be very meaningful.

This is not strictly an LGBTQ event, but it is friendly, and the artists are amazing!

This event is happening at: Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint
    2474 S. Ballenger Hwy.
    Flint, MI 48507
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Tret Fure and Barb Barton live in concert! Wed Mar 04 2015 at 07:00 pm
    On The Tracks Songwriter Showcase

125 Jackson St, Chelsea, MI

(From the event website) Tret Fure ...is the complete package, stunning songwriter, emotive and soulful voice, and guitar chops to back it all up. Here's an excerpt from her bio... click through to her website to read more.

Tret Fure's career spans 4 decades. She began her professional work at the age of 16, singing in coffeehouses and campuses in the Midwest, moving to Berkeley where, after performing weekly on the campus of UC Berkeley where she attended college, she discovered that music really was her life. At 19, she moved to LA to pursue a songwriting and musical career. Within a year she was performing as guitarist and vocalist for Spencer Davis, touring with him and penning the single for his album "Mousetrap". She went on to record her own album in 1973 on MCA/UNI Records, with the late Lowell George of Little Feat as her producer. With the success of that release, she opened for such bands as Yes, Poco, and the J Geils Band.

http://tretfure.com/

Barb Barton is no stranger to Michigan stages although she's been away from performing over the past few years. Her smokey sweet voice accompanied by accomplished guitar work with open tunings supporting honest, emotional lyrics.

"Barton’s music comes from the nameless place that connects brain and heart. As a biologist, she might tell you the location does not exist. As a musician/songwriter, she knows right where it lives. And her music lands precisely on the X at the sweet spot. Think ear reiki. Close your eyes, imagine a soul massage. Picture a Lake Superior mirage. Drench your brain. Music your heart. Count your senses. You sure you only have five?"

http://barbbarton.com

Tret Fure will be in Michigan again at the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival in August, and a third time in October for a three day song writing workshop and concert in Flint. More on that later.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    free concert! Ryan Amador in Flint on April 10 if you haven't heard Ryan sing, you should. He is great. Check out his music at: http://www.reverbnation.com/ryanamador

He will be at The Good Beans Cafe on April 13th at 7pm. He will be taking donations to cover his expenses.
  • peacehawk
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Rally and review of supreme court arguments:

MARRIAGE EQUALITY VIGIL UPDATE AND REQUEST:

The United States Supreme Court will hear arguments for the consolidated marriage equality cases on Tuesday, April 28th at 10 am. An audio tape of the proceedings will be available after 2 pm.

Our regular monthly Marriage Equality Vigil takes place on April 28th at 11:30am. In honor of this historic day we intend to march instead of our normal standing vigil. We will begin at the Genesee County Courthouse, carry our banners and placards down one side of Saginaw Street and up the other, ending back at the courthouse before 12:30.

We would like to have enough numbers to make an impression on Flint folks downtown of the importance of this event and our fervent enthusiasm for a positive nationwide ruling on marriage equality.

Please join us.

Then, a couple hours later, at 3pm, we will be gathering at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint to listen to the recordings of the Supreme Court Arguments online. You are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1434042996890320/
  • peacehawk
    Options
    FUNK AND SOUL DANCE PARTY June 19, 2015 at The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint. It isn't just for the LGBTQI community, it's open to everyone. Suggested admission donation of $5. Door prizes. 50/50. Snacks for donation of choice. Dance contest. All are welcome!
  • peacehawk
    Options
    FLINT PRIDE IN THE PARK June 27, 2015 at Wilson Park between UofM and the Farmer's Market. Noon-6.

Any other MichPride events out there?