New and Needing Support

Options
controlisthekey
controlisthekey Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hey there, I am just starting to diary my diet and start to exercise again.

Most recently I lost my father. My days have been in bed or on the couch (save the few hours my daughter is here after school until bedtime). Yesterday I started to see a counselor. Today I wanted to keep the motivation to change and move forward. Something completely out of my comfort zone for which I think I am due to attempt.

Hoping to hear from anyone looking to keep things positive and on the forward momentum. Through diet and exercise and the cathartic release of being able to talk to strangers about life.

Thanks for reading!

I posted this with another discussion title and got no responses. Hopefully someone will take a chance to help in my journey?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You've come to the right place. :)

I did see your other post, but I feel like I've been dominating the board, so I tried to back off and let others respond. Seems that backfired a little this time.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my mom to cancer when I was 22 and it's been one of the most difficult things in my life, losing a much loved parent. <3

I'm assuming you have been diagnosed with PCOS since you're posting in this forum... do you want to talk about what you've done in the past, what you are doing now?
  • controlisthekey
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 20 years ago. When no one knew much about what to do about it. I've been dealing with it on my own since then. My doctor says there's not much that he can do for me and has refused a referral to an endocrinologist a few times because that won't help. Not long after the PCOS diagnosis I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic headaches and migraines. Most recently I have been told I have Celiac's Disease as well.

I'm not looking for pity (although sometimes someone recognizing that I am not 100% even though I look 'just fine' would be nice). I want to come out of this a better person. Losing my dad I completely shut down and that isn't fair to my husband or my daughter.

Through some recent research I have found that the 3 illnesses combined (PCOS, Fibro and Celiac), I have a myriad of foods that I should not be eating, making things ultra difficult. The most influential things I need to remove are wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice, potatoes and tomatoes. I also found that I should be looking at fruits and vegetables in the lower gi.

I have failed many, many times trying to get the right combination of diet and exercise all the while my body fighting against me. I am pretty deep into depression for a lot of reasons but I am fighting to come out.

Any ideas on meals or meal plans that have worked for such a strict diet? If I stick right to the foods I can eat, I am not consuming enough calories for the day. I'm trying to stay high on protein at least but it's like juggling. And I hate juggling.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    I was dx'd with PCOS in the 90's and dealt with the same issue of there being no real help. There is now... I'm currently taking metformin and inositol, plus iron, B-complex, cal/mag and Vit D... It DOES help. I have a LOT more energy, and my cycles are relatively regular again... It also helps with the horrible PMS symptoms I get... You need to find a new doctor who will take your concerns seriously. PCOS is not just about fertility.

I have something called Oral Allergy Syndrome, and a ton of food allergies so I can relate to your food issues as well. It is totally possible to eliminate the foods that you shouldn't be eating and honestly, once you do, you will likely find yourself coming out of the mental fog you seem to be in right now. I know this isn't for everyone, but I'm an extreme case with all my food allergies and related inflammation, so I went to a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor back in 2010 and she put me on a strict anti-candida, anti-inflammation, whole body healing cleanse. She did a saliva test, had me fill out a very indepth health questionairre, and gave me a list of foods to eliminate, plus a bunch of supplements to take. I won't tell you everything I did, because it will be different for each person, but it REALLY helped set my course on a healthier track. Definitely recommend that as a place to start. It's not a cure, but it does help resolve some of the chronic inflammation and having the support while making the transition to eliminating a lot of foods was priceless.
  • controlisthekey
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! I'll have to wait a bit for the Chinese Medicine Doctor. I have heard they are great but cost a bit. I got laid off from my job in January and haven't been able to find anything since. Once I get back out there I'll have more income to be able to address more resources. I do take Vitamin D and I drink smoothies every day with spinach and kale in them, hoping to give me some of the nutrients I'm missing. From the looks of my food diary, I am over in sugar (because of fruit) and after the day is done I'm under in calories and protein. This will definitely take some getting used to.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    Yes, it can be expensive. I was fortunate in that mine is a family member who doesn't charge me... Fortunately there are so many gluten free low carb foods available now and if you google low carb high fat you'll find loads of yummy recipes to get you started. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 20 years ago. When no one knew much about what to do about it. I've been dealing with it on my own since then. My doctor says there's not much that he can do for me and has refused a referral to an endocrinologist a few times because that won't help. Not long after the PCOS diagnosis I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic headaches and migraines. Most recently I have been told I have Celiac's Disease as well.

I'm not looking for pity (although sometimes someone recognizing that I am not 100% even though I look 'just fine' would be nice). I want to come out of this a better person. Losing my dad I completely shut down and that isn't fair to my husband or my daughter.

Through some recent research I have found that the 3 illnesses combined (PCOS, Fibro and Celiac), I have a myriad of foods that I should not be eating, making things ultra difficult. The most influential things I need to remove are wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice, potatoes and tomatoes. I also found that I should be looking at fruits and vegetables in the lower gi.

I have failed many, many times trying to get the right combination of diet and exercise all the while my body fighting against me. I am pretty deep into depression for a lot of reasons but I am fighting to come out.

Any ideas on meals or meal plans that have worked for such a strict diet? If I stick right to the foods I can eat, I am not consuming enough calories for the day. I'm trying to stay high on protein at least but it's like juggling. And I hate juggling.

Hell, I was diagnosed in 2008 and still only got limited help. Unfortunately, despite being more common than most "crisis of epidemic proportions" (and more glamorous) disorders, doctors are woefully under- and misinformed about PCOS. Occasionally, you might get lucky and get a doctor that understands it -- and the odds are greater with an endocrinologist -- but most doctors are pretty clueless (and worse). I highly recommend finding a new doctor that is willing to give you a referral, or call a few endocrinologists and explain your situation and see if any will take you without a referral (some do, and some might make an exception due to an uncooperative general doctor).

Check out the Paleo diet. It's got a great track record for improving all three conditions, and there are a ton of recipes, so you shouldn't have to worry about feeling deprived. If you need to, you can also check out the Autoimmune Protocol, which is a version of Paleo that also removes the common allergen triggers (eggs, nightshades, etc).

Here are some resources to get you started:
    http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimmune-protocol-diet/
    http://wellnessmama.com/22689/autoimmune-diet/
    http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
    http://againstallgrain.com/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-blueprint-21-day-challenge-infographic/
  • controlisthekey
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I will definitely research the information you have given me. I'll let you know how it works out!
  • rowclic
    rowclic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! I'll have to wait a bit for the Chinese Medicine Doctor. I have heard they are great but cost a bit. I got laid off from my job in January and haven't been able to find anything since. Once I get back out there I'll have more income to be able to address more resources. I do take Vitamin D and I drink smoothies every day with spinach and kale in them, hoping to give me some of the nutrients I'm missing. From the looks of my food diary, I am over in sugar (because of fruit) and after the day is done I'm under in calories and protein. This will definitely take some getting used to.

One way I get my protein is my daily smoothie with protein powder in it. I sweeten it with Stevia and the only fruit in it is strawberries. At first it took some getting used to but now I look forward to my yummy afternoon snack. Boiled eggs for breakfast and chopped chicken breast with salsa are great snacks as well. I've been allowing myself the occasional treat (pizza this weekend for the first time in almost 4 months - it was fantastic!) and I'm still on track so I'm getting things figured out!