Crossfit Successes

Options
AllanMisner
AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
Okay, this is a little one, but it has taken me a while. I was able to get into a handstand without doing a wall walk. Might not mean much to most, but considering I haven’t done anything remotely gymnastic in 37 years, I’ll take it.

What are your crossfit successes? PRs, firsts, etc.

Replies

• Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the handstand against the wall! My most recent success is HSPU against the wall. When I was young (a long... long time ago) I use to walk on my hands all the time. I was shocked when I started CF 11 months ago I couldn't even do a handstand against the wall. I recently found out it is a lot easier to do HSPU in the middle of the floor with nothing to rest against. For some reason I can pump out a lot of HSPU this way versus against the wall.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well done on the achievements. I'm still waiting for my successes, hoping to be able to do one strict pull-up and kick up into a handstand against the wall, ooh and decent ring dips would be good too... one day!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Aviation21 wrote: »
    Congrats on the handstand against the wall! My most recent success is HSPU against the wall. When I was young (a long... long time ago) I use to walk on my hands all the time. I was shocked when I started CF 11 months ago I couldn't even do a handstand against the wall. I recently found out it is a lot easier to do HSPU in the middle of the floor with nothing to rest against. For some reason I can pump out a lot of HSPU this way versus against the wall.

I need to know your trick because I can do HSPU's against a wall all damn day but let me try even a handstand (let alone a HSPU) in the middle of the floor and it turns into a walkover in about three seconds.

Congrats on your handstand Allen!

• AllanMisner
    Options
    Come on folks... I know you did something well today. Let it out!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No PR or anything for me but my friend did her first box jump. She's 60 years old and has been working up to it over the last couple of months. Yeah!
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    PR last night on dead lifts 230#. I actually think I can do more when not fatigued.

WTG on your handstand!
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    paultassy wrote: »
    PR last night on dead lifts 230#. I actually think I can do more when not fatigued.

Congrats!

• Aviation21
    Options
    I need to know your trick because I can do HSPU's against a wall all damn day but let me try even a handstand (let alone a HSPU) in the middle of the floor and it turns into a walkover in about three seconds.

Last night I did 25 (5x5) HSPU in the middle of the room - new PR! According to my coaches which just got certified on gymnastic training it is supposed to be easier when not against the wall because your body is better aligned and you activate your core muscles. Anyway, I form a triangle with my head and hands, bring my knees off the floor to my elbows and then kip my feet straight up towards the ceiling while locking out my arms. I do lose my balance once in a while walkover, that happens when I do not bring my knees to my elbows.
  • Aviation21
    Options
    paultassy wrote: »

WTG on your handstand!

230... Fantastic! You must have very good technique!

• Keladelphia
    Options

Last night I did 25 (5x5) HSPU in the middle of the room - new PR! According to my coaches which just got certified on gymnastic training it is supposed to be easier when not against the wall because your body is better aligned and you activate your core muscles. Anyway, I form a triangle with my head and hands, bring my knees off the floor to my elbows and then kip my feet straight up towards the ceiling while locking out my arms. I do lose my balance once in a while walkover, that happens when I do not bring my knees to my elbows.

Hmm I'll have to give this a shot. I always tried to walk up into a handstand first and then bring my knees down to kip back up, maybe the knees to elbow first will help. Thanks.
  • Aviation21
    Options
    @KellyAnn1286 if you box has small pads for situps, rest your head one. It will give you an inch or so off the floor and feel a lot better than the hard floor.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Congrats on your handstand Allen!

Same here!

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    No PR's as such today but managed to finish among the 1st today - which hardly ever happens!!
    Must be because there was no running in the WOD which always kills me.
    WOD:
    30 KB
    15 burpees
    10 box jumps
    3 x rounds for time
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I started CF and set a goal in January 2015 to do 5 strict pull-ups by January 2016. (I already had 2). I hit my goal last week already! Now I'm trying to learn to kip so I can actually do the workouts, ha ha...
  • Aviation21
    Options
    CJMQ wrote: »
    I started CF and set a goal in January 2015 to do 5 strict pull-ups by January 2016. (I already had 2). I hit my goal last week already! Now I'm trying to learn to kip so I can actually do the workouts, ha ha...

Well done, I am still trying to do kipping and butterfly pull ups too!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @KellyAnn1286 if you box has small pads for situps, rest your head one. It will give you an inch or so off the floor and feel a lot better than the hard floor.

And that would be a no rep ;)

You've got to be level. Maybe something to work up to
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »

If you use 15# plates on either side of the abmat for your hands it would count though correct (keeping your hand level with the abmat)?
  • Aviation21
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »

If you use 15# plates on either side of the abmat for your hands it would count though correct (keeping your hand level with the abmat)?

Correct, if you put the plates on both sides of the abmat it is RX. A lot of the firebeathers at my box do it that way against the wall.

I was just recommending when starting out without the wall to rest against, try the pad first.
  • marathon_44
    marathon_44 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I PR'd my clean at 150 pounds!
  • Aviation21
    Options
    I PR'd my clean at 150 pounds!

Very Nice!