NS Food Tweaks

Options
On the NS blogs, I posted that using the vegetarian chili to make chili dogs makes a great tasting meal. But now that I'm used to smaller portions, it's too much at once! I'll have to make it in the afternoon and have it as two meals, which makes sense anyway since it uses both a protein and a 1 carb.

How are you guys playing with your NS foods?

(Please post only NS food tweaks here. Diet-compliant recipes that are not based on NS prepackaged foods can go on the Diet-Compliant Recipes thread, to make it easier to find what we're looking for. Thanks!)

Replies

• GoForthandBeAwesome
    GoForthandBeAwesome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think we all know by now that addin PB to the Spicy Kung Pao Noodles is The Thing. But thought I'd mention it just in case somebody's new... ;)
  • jrn8ion
    jrn8ion Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like adding Laughing Cow Wedge (pepper jack or swiss) to the Spicy Kung Pao noodles. I'm trying the pb next, yum!
  • GoForthandBeAwesome
    GoForthandBeAwesome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    And I'll try the cheese! That's new to me!
  • PeggyS925
    PeggyS925 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I posted this "tweak" on the crock pot thread but it fits this thread as well. :-)

Kung Poa Noodles - (I fixed as per instructions in microwave)
    Dumped into crock pot and added:
    1/3 cup canned chicken
    Red Bell Pepper and Onion
    1 Tablespoon chopped green chilies.

Seriously good!!
  • princessm928
    princessm928 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Has anyone added PB2 to the kung pao? Same result as peanut butter?
  • katbirdinoregon
    katbirdinoregon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always use PB2 in the Kung pao. I think it works better the peanut butter because you can use more. It takes 4 tablespoon to equal a PF.
  • flomay5253
    flomay5253 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen onions and peppers and add to a lot of stuff. Measure out into 1/2 cup packages and keep in the freezer. I add laughing cow garlic and herb to loaded baked potato and add hormel real bacon bits (25 cals per tablespoon)
  • PeggyS925
    PeggyS925 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    flomay5253 wrote: »
    I buy frozen onions and peppers and add to a lot of stuff. Measure out into 1/2 cup packages and keep in the freezer. I add laughing cow garlic and herb to loaded baked potato and add hormel real bacon bits (25 cals per tablespoon)

I usually use fresh but definitely like the idea of keeping the frozen onions & peppers on hand. Sometimes I just don't want to mess with cleaning and chopping. Great idea!
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Im gonna try some things this weekend Ill share them if they turn out ok
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    O.k., I'm not getting adding PB to a food. Won't that affect the taste in an odd way? Or, is PB normally in things like Kung Pao?

Maybe it's because I don't eat Chinese but infrequently and then it's usually Americanized. :)
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I veg up everything...especially like spaghetti squash with my pasta dishes!!!! Mushroom, onions and peppers on my pizza! Always turn the chili into a taco salad minus the taco shell bowl....mix the granola cereal into my yogurt...even did that with my oatmeal one time, not as bad as I thought it would be...also put protein powder and cinnamon in my coffee...
  • pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    MsDimeo wrote: »
    Im gonna try some things this weekend Ill share them if they turn out ok

OK, I'm taking my queue from you and I may do some experimenting myself on Sunday (Sat is booked). I want to work on some seafood and, more importantly, snacky things (I miss chips, etc). I will also let you know if I have success -- might even take pics :)
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    O.k., I'm not getting adding PB to a food. Won't that affect the taste in an odd way? Or, is PB normally in things like Kung Pao?

Maybe it's because I don't eat Chinese but infrequently and then it's usually Americanized. :)

It's not uncommon to find something called 'peanut sauce' in asian cooking --- that's what adding the PB is reminiscent of . . . it's tasty :)
  • Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    udxinhc1rj9s.jpg

Ok I just took a meal I hate and made it awedome.

Spray frying pan nonstick speay
    Fresh garlic chopped and sauté
    Any stir fry veggies u want. Pictured just peppers and onion sauté
    Add Szechuan sauce a tablespoon is 25 calories
    Add NS garlic sesame chicken the whole dish
    Add 3 oz shrimp

Ok in heaven.

• pattyperkins927
    Options
    udxinhc1rj9s.jpg

Ok I just took a meal I hate and made it awedome.

Spray frying pan nonstick speay
    Fresh garlic chopped and sauté
    Any stir fry veggies u want. Pictured just peppers and onion sauté
    Add Szechuan sauce a tablespoon is 25 calories
    Add NS garlic sesame chicken the whole dish
    Add 3 oz shrimp

Ok in heaven.

It looks wonderful!!
  • Shie1
    Shie1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Okay...so remind me why we would add the NS sesame chicken (which I also hated) to the other scrumptious ingredients that could fully stand on their own sautéed together?? :p
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    ja6m3z674tt9.jpg
    My carb crunch fix for this afternoon --- homemade pita chips
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow Patty That looks good!
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    MsDimeo wrote: »
    Wow Patty That looks good!
    They were pretty good --- smoked paprika and garlic powder with a itty bit of salt. Nice and crunchy chip substitute :) I dug out a couple of cookbooks last nice, and I think I'm going to make some onion rings on Sunday, since vadalias are in season. I still want to make up some french onion soup . . .
  • Redsy1965
    Redsy1965 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I veg up everything...especially like spaghetti squash with my pasta dishes!!!! Mushroom, onions and peppers on my pizza! Always turn the chili into a taco salad minus the taco shell bowl....mix the granola cereal into my yogurt...even did that with my oatmeal one time, not as bad as I thought it would be...also put protein powder and cinnamon in my coffee...

Never thought to put the granola in my yogurt. Great idea!