Conquering the open water....tips please!

Options
Runningirl7284
Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
Hi ladies! I am new to the Triathlete world only doing it a year now and coming up on my third tri. I was a runner for years and have come to love swimming & biking if not more than running as it is easier on the joints (which I tend to have an issue with at the age of 30) My problem is I am decent in the pool can swim a 400y in 6:40 but my sprint tri I swim a 10 minute 400y due to I can not get my breathing in control and get anxious running into the water with all the other people at once, after swallowing water I really couldn't get my breathing under control and had to swim with my head up 2/3 of the race. I have swallowed a lot of water in this last weekend's tri which ended up making me feel nauseous the rest of the race. It is embarrassing and really upsetting as I train so hard during the week and I need to overcome this. People are in front of me that I smoke in training.... I finally find my stroke/breathing on the way back to shore, which is too little too late for a decent time. This cost me placing in my first tri by 7 seconds and getting 1st place in my second tri by 10 seconds which is very upsetting for me. I train with a Master's group in a pool 3-5 times a week, around 3000y each practice, which includes drills and speed. The open water in my area has a lot of bull sharks currently in it so I can not get anyone to go with me to practice and it is a safety issue to go on my own. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Replies

• CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Does your masters team have a lot of triathetes on it or is it mainly those who are just swimming for fun or those who are competing at an older age in swimming? If there are enough who do triathlons perhaps you could suggest an open water day in the pool. They could take out the lanes and have you all practice simulated open water swimming. It's still not quite the same but there are several "drills" out there on the internet that can be implemented in the pool for this.
    Ok, so you might have heard all of what I am about to say, but this is what I find helpful for me when I do openwater swimming (which has been ALL of my races so far):
    What I found helpful, even if you are trying to place, is to position yourself to the outside of the pack (not necessarily to the back though). This will keep you from being kicked as much or jostled as much as you enter the water. I am not an age-grouper as I race in the athena division, but I do race to place in athena so I attempt to position myself somewhere strategically. I find that middle of the pack on the outside has given me plenty of room to get into the water at my own pace and then find my rhythm once I'm there.
    Run into the water high knee style until you reach knee height then shallow dive in and start swimming (even if others have not!!) if you wait too long you will slow yourself down. I've also found that once I've found my rhythm swimming early on the race that there are many who have not and that, right there, gives me an advantage. I then move myself toward the middle of the pack and then to the buoys where I stay tight to the buoy line so I'm not way out in the open water causing me to swim a farther distance than necessary.
    Something else that might be causing a little anxiety too (which did for me when I first started in open water) was the inability to actually see in the water. I practiced a little in the pool by closing my eyes and swimming (I read this in a book somewhere, this was not my idea). It did actually work...I got used to swimming several strokes and then sighting where I was going when I took my head out of the water.
    Last, but not least, is just to get used to doing it. I was pretty bad (no really really bad) the first time I did it. Then it got better and better. Now I am OK at entering the water with others. I'm not great, but it's something I expect to do at races and I know what I need to do in order to make myself more comfortable (see above). Oh, also, if I can get my foot in the water before the gun goes off I feel better (as in I'm not running from dry ground)...I don't know why, but it just feels better to start from there;)
    Hope some of this helps;) Good luck on all of your races! And fantastic job on getting so close to placing!! You will get there for sure!!
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am just now seeing your response CaeliGirl11! Thank You so much for all the great tips! Luckily I had a friend take me out to the beach and practice running into the water with high knees and dolphin diving in (which I feel really awkward at but do like the straight up shallow diving) It helped ALOT. I have done 2 more tri's since my post and swam 8 minutes instead of 10 so was happy with that...for now ;) and was lucky to place in them as well. I did do that close your eyes drill awhile back in the pool and definitely need to do that again! Thank You so much and Speedy racing to you too! :)
  • LG_Adventure
    LG_Adventure Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! Im doing my first Tri this weekend, and have done plenty of open water swimming, but havent done the whole "jump into the lake with a bunch of other people" thing yet. Hopefully it goes well!
  • careyweaver
    careyweaver Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would try to acclimate yourself slowly to open water. Getting a coach can be very helpful! I help several athletes in my area with strategies for open water swimming and racing. One main tip would be to get a wetsuit. It makes you more bouyant!