Nutriwalkers

Options
Anyone here walk as their primary exercise?

Replies

• grmshelle
    grmshelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At this point I walk about 75% of the time when I do exercise...I just need to get more in of whatever I do. Usually the walking is at home because I'm to lazy to drive to town and walk along the river.
  • katbirdinoregon
    katbirdinoregon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of my primary exercise. I slacked off during the month of April while I was in the process of moving and I need to get back to it. I am going to have to start getting up earlier to do it now because we are headed into 90 degree temps this week. I do a water aerobics class twice a week and I want to walk on 4 days. I am not into music so I listen to audio books while I walk.
  • MarySG58
    MarySG58 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I mix it up ~ walking, indoor biking, swimming(aqua aerobics) soon, strength training, gardening
  • PeggyS925
    PeggyS925 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Walking is my primary exercise as well. I was MAKING myself walk 10,000 a day which included 30-45 minutes of relatively fast walking, but I'm now shooting for 12,000. I haven't hit that goal often but I'm trying! I really need to add some core strengthening. I want my tummy to SHRINK!
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Every day...I try to do 3 hours...it's all I have time to do...wish I had did or gym time ...some days lucky I get 2 hrs in...but all I do is walk!
  • melbelle312
    melbelle312 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a city girl, so walking is like breathing to me, but in this small town, everyone drives EVERYWHERE. I mean down-the-block everywhere. Now that the weather is nicer (finally!), I am going to go back to walking everywhere within a 2 mile radius for my errands. I will get some strange looks from the locals, but I will be better looking, so I won't mind lol!
  • Wen_Mitchell
    Wen_Mitchell Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 5000 steps in a day. I've made it over 6700 a couple times. Hoping to get 10,000 a day before too long. I also use a stationary bike pedals thingy. It sits in the floor, I sit in a chair and pedal pedal pedal. :)
  • tobefitJen
    tobefitJen Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Up until about 2 weeks ago walking on the treadmill was my primary exercise. Then I saw my neighbor out taking, what looked to be, a serious walk. She had on her workout gear, headphones in and was walking at a brisk pace. I recruited her to start walking with me. We're usually able to get together about 3 times a week. I use the treadmill on the other days.
  • PeggyS925
    Options
    I suffer from plantar fasciitis and I've really got my feet screaming at me! I guess I need to get on the ole exercise bicycle and give my tootsies a break from walking! Hopefully when I get some more weight off of this body my feet will will feel better.
  • tobefitJen
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PeggyS925 wrote: »
    I suffer from plantar fasciitis and I've really got my feet screaming at me! I guess I need to get on the ole exercise bicycle and give my tootsies a break from walking! Hopefully when I get some more weight off of this body my feet will will feel better.

Peggy have you ever been fitted at a specialty store for athletic shoes? It will make a HUGE difference! I don't know that mine was plantar fasciitis but I was having a problem with my right foot a few weeks ago. I decided before I got completely sidelined to go to a specialty store and let them fit me. They measured both feet and had me walk to analyze my gait. They then picked out several options for me to try that would be good for my foot and suggested that I add an insert for added arch support. I'm so happy with what I came home with and it wasn't as expensive as I was expecting. Total around $200 for shoes, inserts and a pair of socks. Even though my foot was still hurting, I continued to walk with the new shoes. It has gotten better everyday and it barely bothers me anymore. Mainly I can tell that it isn't a 100% first thing when I wake up.

I probably said all that and you'll say, yes I have been fitted. ;)
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband go walking almost every evening after dinner. ( I work all day sitting in an office). I try to get in 3miles.
  • Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I try to get in two walks on most days. But I'm nowhere near some of the steps y'all take. Maybe at some point. But that is y I like the water aerobics.
  • flomay5253
    flomay5253 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a treadmill so I can get in the walking that way. Since I work nights it's hard to fit in a real outdoor walk so thought this will get me off my butt.
  • shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    tobefitJen wrote: »
    Up until about 2 weeks ago walking on the treadmill was my primary exercise. Then I saw my neighbor out taking, what looked to be, a serious walk. She had on her workout gear, headphones in and was walking at a brisk pace. I recruited her to start walking with me. We're usually able to get together about 3 times a week. I use the treadmill on the other days.

Love it Jen, I love walking too, and fast!

• PeggyS925
    Options

Peggy have you ever been fitted at a specialty store for athletic shoes? It will make a HUGE difference! I don't know that mine was plantar fasciitis but I was having a problem with my right foot a few weeks ago. I decided before I got completely sidelined to go to a specialty store and let them fit me. They measured both feet and had me walk to analyze my gait. They then picked out several options for me to try that would be good for my foot and suggested that I add an insert for added arch support. I'm so happy with what I came home with and it wasn't as expensive as I was expecting. Total around $200 for shoes, inserts and a pair of socks. Even though my foot was still hurting, I continued to walk with the new shoes. It has gotten better everyday and it barely bothers me anymore. Mainly I can tell that it isn't a 100% first thing when I wake up.

No!! I have never been fitted. Great idea. The way my feet are hurting now I'd pay almost anything. I've had them on a water bottle that has been in the freezer today hoping for relief and it's helping. Thanks for the tip!
  • tobefitJen
    Options

No!! I have never been fitted. Great idea. The way my feet are hurting now I'd pay almost anything. I've had them on a water bottle that has been in the freezer today hoping for relief and it's helping. Thanks for the tip!

Oh good! Really it will be worth it! Be sure to tell them the trouble you are having now. They will take that into account as to what may be going on and what type of shoe will be the best. I just googled and found a place near me that didn't seem too intimidating. ;) Running stores are the best place to be fitted. I found one that also seemed to cater to walkers. Good luck!

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Kathy, Thanks for leaving me the trail so I could find Nutriwalkers. I'm still picking my way along in this new (for me) site.
  • tobefitJen
    Options

Love it Jen, I love walking too, and fast!

Thanks Lisa! Me too! We get a great workout walking the trails close to my house. The treadmill certainly serves it's purpose for me but I can tell getting outdoors works different muscles. Plus the scenery and company is nice! ;)

• Katherine52459
    Katherine52459 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Kathy, Thanks for leaving me the trail so I could find Nutriwalkers. I'm still picking my way along in this new (for me) site.
    I'm still trying to figure out a way that is easier for you to find the site here. Were you able to join the NS group? After that, you do have to search for Nutriwalkers, but you can click on the star next to it once you find it, and it makes it easier to find next time. There has to be a better way. Other nutriwalkers, is there an easier way to get here? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    My walking today is going up and downstairs with trash as we get ready to start for home next week. It's amazing how much junl you can accumulate in a few months. I may hit the pool later since it's at leat 90 degrees here today.