Feedback needed - Hands on House Half Marathon

Options
lizmcvey
lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
Hello, I've run several half marathons and marathons. I have a small group of folks who have agreed to train and run a half marathon with some guidance. We intended to do the Bird in Hand half together, but in the midst of me getting the info out to everyone, it filled up. I was able to register but the others were not. I am now looking for an alternative run for us to register for. Hands on House would be great as far as location/convenience but if we need to go to Philly for a quality race, we will. I have heard mixed reviews on Hands on House (not enough medics, unwilling to help, not enough water/supplies, generally disorganized, etc.) I am not going to encourage first time half marathoners to sign up for a poorly put together race...I don't want them to be turned off the first time around. I already have an almost packed race schedule this fall, so dodging other commitments has made finding an alternate race a little difficult. If Hands on House is a bust, we will likely look at one of a few in Philly in October or November. Hit me with your thoughts on Hands on House, please!!! :smile:

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Looks like a beautiful race, I checked it out! While looking I also found the Hands on House Half Marathon that also have beautiful scenery, perhaps look into that one? The decicion depends on your preferences, if you want big marathons, crowd support lots of people go for the GorTex Philly one, or if want smaller town but beautiful nature, then maybe the hand on house? I have not run either of the ones mentioned here. but I love halfs!

For my first it was one of the big ones, and I did love the crowd support, bling and glitz, it was one of the Diva races, in Myrtle Beach, flat. But now I also like smaller races, and trail halfs especially. Variety is nice.

Your decision just depends on what you like, perhaps show your team mates the alternatives, and discuss the pros and cons together?
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry I see that you mentioned hand on house, already (like in the title ha ha)... I searched of the Bird in Hand half ..
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are you running Bird in Hand? I live in the area and it's never quite worked into my schedule but I'm excited to be running it this year.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Even though it's more pricey, I think that big events are great first-time events. You get tons of crowd support, good organization and communication (typically), and the bling is great. Maybe look at the Philly half? (I am strongly considering Philly as my goal fall marathon this year.)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go to the Half Fanatics Facebook page and ask them. They've done them all.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Philly is an excellent race. Has a great big-city marathon feel to it. I will say the second half of the course is not nearly as interesting as the first half.

First half goes through the various downtown neighborhoods. South Philly, Center City, University City, Fairmount...

Then the second half is kinda just an out-n-back on Kelly Drive. The party in Manayunk at Mile 20 is always cool though.

I don't have a marathon on my radar for this year. I feel like I need to take a year off of the marathon thing. I will probably run the Philly Half though just so I can be part of it again.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have done Bird in Hand and friend did Oktoberfest on Pennypack park (Philly) - half.
    Bird in Hand - commendable organized.

Friend's review about Oktoberfest Half - awesome. She said it was a great race.

Don't know about Hands on House but yes as above poster mentioned throw in a question for Half Fanatics FB page. I bet you'll be able to capture some real time review for the race and lots more.
  • MoonGypsyQ67
    MoonGypsyQ67 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Did you ever get an answer to your question? Did you post it on the half fanatic’s page? I am actually considering signing up for the Hands On House. I have never done this one. I ran Bird In Hand for the first time in 2014 and loved it so much that I signed up again in 2015. Bird In Hand was actually my first half marathon and it was a fantastic experience. That race is so well organized so I highly recommend it! The Garden Spot Half in April is also a great race.