Keeping count

Options
haibu
haibu Posts: 67 Member
I'm terrible at it, I lose count constantly.

What do you do to keep track of your count?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’m fortunate in that my mind wraps around numbers and holds them. I count as I go, and when I stop, I mentally register what I have. When I start back, I start at one, and so on until I’m done. At the end, I can tell you exactly how I broke up each exercise and if I look at the clock while working, I can tell you the split times as well. I know I’m weird.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I usually dont have issue with keeping track of reps it but a lot of people at my gym use poker chips if they do. For example if the workout is 100 snatches and they they think they could do ten snatches at a time they would take ten chips, do ten snatches and move a chip, ten snatches and move a chip etc. until all of their chips are moved. I sometimes use the chips for AMRAPS to keep track of my rounds.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If it's an AMRAP, several people at my box (*including me) use chalk marks on the floor or rig to count/tally the rounds completed. Other than that, I just do my best to keep count OR by breaking it down into sets to reach the total needed (ex. 50 wall balls: I'll count-off 2 sets of 25).
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have used poker chips but as a 50 year old woman, I figure it's good brain exercise to apply myself and get it done. Some days are better than others with brain performance...
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yep, I cant count beyond 10 without getting lost, so use chalk on the floor/wall, pen & paper if around, or if someone has counting beads.
  • marathon_44
    marathon_44 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I get REALLY stupid during a WOD, so I use a white board and rub out a number for each round in an amrap.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Most people where I go use a small white board and dashes.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I lose all mental capacity when trying to keep count so I use chalk on floor
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a really good counter during WODs. It's what I focus on to avoid the pain. But if I think I'm gonna fall out, then I use a white board with lines, and use my fingers to mark off the reps or rounds.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm AWFUL at it, but I'm trying to get better so people don't think I'm That Girl who always "loses count." Our box has a stash of poker chips that I use, and that helps. I also met a girl from another box who had a counting bracelet made with plastic beads and a shoelace, I think. I thought that was super awesome and keep meaning to make one for myself.

Side note: drawing on the floor with chalk is a PITA to clean up. Not recommended.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    haibu wrote: »
    I'm terrible at it, I lose count constantly.

What do you do to keep track of your count?

I have the same problem, I have done the chalk on the floor and pen & paper. Last Thursday I totally screwed up. The WOD was 5 rounds FT 10 KB Thrusters and 10 Pullups, I did 4 rounds and thought I was done yet everyone else was still going at it. Sometimes I do finish first so I was drinking water watching then I looked over at the board realizing I only did 4... I went and finished my last round went from a time of 6:32 to 10:02... oh well! I find myself checking the board constantly!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    One thing that I do that really helps is to try and estimate how long it's going to take before I start. How long the whole thing will be and how long the first round will be. Then, if I'm way under on time, it makes me think about it.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The MyWOD app has a counter on the timer so i just use that. Every time you complete a rep or round you just tap the screen and it registers the rep/round. I am terrible at keeping count so this helps a lot. If it is a WOD that has a lot of counting then sometimes I just use a good old pencil and scrap paper.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I hate that feeling when you think you've finished and then realise you still have another round to do. Or ... when you smash a session and are one of the 1st to finish and then do another round just for the hell of it and then finish last :'(