NS Food Tweaks

Options

Replies

• Redsy1965
    Redsy1965 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    MsDimeo wrote: »
    Wow Patty That looks good!
    They were pretty good --- smoked paprika and garlic powder with a itty bit of salt. Nice and crunchy chip substitute :) I dug out a couple of cookbooks last nice, and I think I'm going to make some onion rings on Sunday, since vadalias are in season. I still want to make up some french onion soup . . .
    Those sound yummy. How are you going to do your rings? I have a bag of vidalia onions
  • Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Haha bc NS says I gotta eat it lol. It was really good and I might add the garlic chicken back in just because it tasted just like take out to me. Less the fake chicken of course lol
  • pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    really makes me wish I had the garlic sesame chicken. I have the sesame ginger chicken I'm sure I will try to doctor as well --- I may take your lead anyway :)
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    Redsy1965 wrote: »
    MsDimeo wrote: »
    Wow Patty That looks good!
    They were pretty good --- smoked paprika and garlic powder with a itty bit of salt. Nice and crunchy chip substitute :) I dug out a couple of cookbooks last nice, and I think I'm going to make some onion rings on Sunday, since vadalias are in season. I still want to make up some french onion soup . . .
    Those sound yummy. How are you going to do your rings? I have a bag of vidalia onions

I have a recipe for oven baked ones in a cookbook called 'Eat what you love', which is all on the glycemic index, etc -- supposed to come out with 125 cal, 25 carb (a little high there) 2g fat, 4g protein, 3g fiber. Uses a little buttermilk, breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes, cornmeal, and seasonings. The pic looks wickedly good . . . I've really only made one or two things from these cookbooks before (I have this and the sequel) and they have been good, so I'm grateful I have these books now! I may be living out of them on my weekends off.

And apparently I can't spell Vidalia!! Sorry about that! :)
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I veg up everything...especially like spaghetti squash with my pasta dishes!!!! Mushroom, onions and peppers on my pizza! Always turn the chili into a taco salad minus the taco shell bowl....mix the granola cereal into my yogurt...even did that with my oatmeal one time, not as bad as I thought it would be...also put protein powder and cinnamon in my coffee...

I love spaghetti squash, too! The other night, I sauteed it with mushrooms, onion, and garlic and then put my entree (can't remember which one, sorry!) on top of it. It was so good. Well, now that I typed that, I think I need to do the same thing tonight. LOL.

I also add onions and mushrooms to my pizzas. For the SS pizzas, I usually add four turkey pepperoni slices (as an extra). I think I have only one SS pizza left, and I've upgraded to Uniquely Yours so now I order just the frozen pizzas. I love those! I usually add onions and mushrooms to them, too.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Shie1 wrote: »
    Okay...so remind me why we would add the NS sesame chicken (which I also hated) to the other scrumptious ingredients that could fully stand on their own sautéed together?? :p
    For the protein??????
  • AdNil54f
    AdNil54f Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Can't wait to try some of these!
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    I think we all know by now that addin PB to the Spicy Kung Pao Noodles is The Thing. But thought I'd mention it just in case somebody's new... ;)

Where do you buy PB2?
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    There are a couple grocery stores in my area that carry it, and I've purchased it from the Vitacost website as well. another item I always have in the house is Walden Farms 0-calorie chocolate sauce. SO good!
  • PeggyS925
    PeggyS925 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think we all know by now that addin PB to the Spicy Kung Pao Noodles is The Thing. But thought I'd mention it just in case somebody's new... ;)

Where do you buy PB2?

I ordered it from Amazon. With Prime it was free shipping.
  • evhutchings
    Options
    PeggyS925 wrote: »

Where do you buy PB2?

I ordered it from Amazon. With Prime it was free shipping.
    Walmart sells it in the peanut butter aisle....
  • evhutchings
    Options

Where do you buy PB2?
    Walmart has it in the peanut butter aisle

• Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ok this is simple but really good. Maple grove fat free honey mustard Dijon on salad and then top the chicken sandwich with the salad and dressing. I love honey mustard chicken sandwiches from any fast food joint. This did the trick.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    Ok this is simple but really good. Maple grove fat free honey mustard Dijon on salad and then top the chicken sandwich with the salad and dressing. I love honey mustard chicken sandwiches from any fast food joint. This did the trick.

I'll have to look for that one !
  • mrs17alvarez
    mrs17alvarez Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Where do you buy PB2?

I buy it at ShopRite and Target so it's getting much easier to find now.
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks Jayne and Peggy! I love Amazon; I don't even know why I didn't think to look there. I placed my order...should have on Tuesday/Wednesday!

Jayne had turned me on to the Vegetti, and I use it EVERY day. My kids even love eating zucchini noodles! Thanks again...that one idea and item is helping all my family eat more healthfully, and have fun!
  • Wen_Mitchell
    Wen_Mitchell Posts: 72 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wal-Mart also sells PB2...it's with the regular PB.
    Oooops, just realized there's a page 2 and it has what I was posting.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    OK I don't want to derail this thread, so point me elsewhere if that's more appropriate please. When I want to come with something that is NS compliant rather than just altering an existing NS food item, what is the best way to (1) determine compliance, and (2) determine what to count it as (how many PF/SC etc)? Is it as simple as looking at the ingredients individually and determining what falls into what category? Or comparing the overall categories to an NE food and count it similarly? Some other formula?

For example, I made some French Onion soup today. Low sodium broth is supposed to be an unlimited item; cooked onions should be an unlimted item and count as veggies, etc. I plugged the ingredients into the recipe manager here and came up with the number of calories, carbs, protein, etc. SOOO what is going to be the determining factor as to if this is a free food/veggie thing? Or if I need to count it as something else? (and keep in mind, I'm talking about WITHOUT bread/crouton and cheese --- I know that would add a PF and a SC). Thoughts?

rbs61uuoncqg.jpg
  • kdubskwags
    kdubskwags Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Send me a bowl and I'll get back to you. This looks delicious!
  • klriano
    klriano Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've got a newbish question; I've just transitioned from the Fast5 to the regular women's plan so PF's & SC's are new for me. I love the "tweaks" and "twists" that take the NS food from meh to wow, and I pour over the recipes and forums for ideas. I also see people save a PF or SC to add to the tweak. The actual question is; Do you need to eat the PF's & SC's at the proscribed meal/snack or can you eat them at other times (Like save the breakfast PF for lunch ?) as long as you get them all in to meet your Calorie/Macro goals?