Things that discourage you?

Options
littleboopy
littleboopy Posts: 25 Member
ok so I planned on starting last week and well didn't succeed..,so today is day 1 for me! I've taken all my measurements and plan to see it through till the end! The only problem is seeing people that I view as not needing this program because for me they are already fit and at a low weight. It is very discouraging for me because I'm really needing to shed fat and get fit so I think my best bet is to not come on to these boards until I've done the first round. Anyone else feel like this? Or share what discourages you. See you in 21 days!

Replies

• doodlebug32
    doodlebug32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that everyone is on a different phase of their journey. You don't know how they started, and they may be doing the program for different reasons.

For instance, I'm a work-a-holic mother of two who just had a baby 9 months ago. I've lost the baby weight, but now I'm working on the 30 pounds of "My job is super stressful and I work in hospitality so I eat and drink my feelings at fancy restaurants when I'm traveling" weight.

@SatiaRenee is a super hot grandma who is trying to lose some pounds and improve her health and quality of life after a knee injury and vertigo diagnosis (I'm paraphrasing;))

some people may be "skinny fat" and be thin, but want to be fit and toned too.

Even though we are all here for different reasons, hearing about other people's experiences is helpful and we all need support in different ways.

What discourages me is airport food. Very rarely can I find something that supports my goals. but I'm freakin starving :( and having a day so full of meetings that I can't work out. I'm trying so hard, but the traveler's lifestyle has a lot of obstacles :(
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I wrote out a response to this but I deleted it. I hope you find the support you need.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @doodlebug32 Awwww . . .thanks. Yes, I do work very hard and, I confess that, reading this post made me feel discouraged. Other people's negativity really affects me, and I protect myself fiercely. Life is hard and too short for negativity. I have probably removed more people from my life because I cannot carry the burden of their pessimism while trying to reinforce my optimism. Whether someone has 500 lbs to lose or 50 lbs or is just trying to tone up and maybe drop 5 more lbs, I know how hard it is because I'm right there struggling along myself. And when I see that someone has lost even 0.2 lbs or is using a heavier weight, I think that's a reason to be happy because what goes around comes around and today I'm celebrating someone else's success believing tomorrow they'll be celebrating mine. I have to believe that or why even bother?
  • doodlebug32
    Options
    @SatiaRenee - I totally agree. But it is human nature to compare yourself to others, especially if you are struggling in some capacity. The trick is to do just as you said - celebrate everyone for their strengths and successes - if you do that, I feel like you'll enjoy yours more too.

I remind myself every day that you know about 10 percent of people you meet (less on the Internet) and the 90 percent that you don't know would probably blow your mind. So I try not to have any preconceived notions or negative feelings because...well, because why?
  • littleboopy
    littleboopy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    SatiaRenee wrote: »
    I wrote out a response to this but I deleted it. I hope you find the support you need.
    If you feel I'm being negative that's ok I'll see myself out of this group. Thanks for the support.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @doodlebug32 Precisely. I am sitting on some potentially devastating news right now. Not Stage 4 cancer bad but bad enough. More doctor appointments and tests and we should know how bad things are by the end of the month.

Does that stop me? Or my husband? Hell no! He gets up and, on the days he's not working, he pushes play. (For him it's P90.) We plan out our meals. We walk. We plan for tomorrow and next month and next year, not because we know what any of those hold but because we are hoping only for the best. And until the labs are done and the results come back, what's the use of worrying? I have things to do today. He has things to today. Tomorrow can take care of itself.
  • doodlebug32
    Options
    What?!?!?! Omg, the stress - I'm sorry to hear this. I hope and pray for the best for both of you and your family.

It's good to do healthy things for yourself in situations like these - the alternative is just awful and will lead to negative things. I'm happy that you're taking care of yourself. You deserve it. I pray for good news.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but just because YOU don't feel like someone else should be doing the program because YOU feel like they're fit enough or at a low enough weight doesn't mean that THEY feel the same about THEIR body. Maybe they've come a long way using programs like this and you should use their success as a motivator.
  • doodlebug32
    Options
    lk27 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but just because YOU don't feel like someone else should be doing the program because YOU feel like they're fit enough or at a low enough weight doesn't mean that THEY feel the same about THEIR body. Maybe they've come a long way using programs like this and you should use their success as a motivator.

^^This. I want @nables73 abs!!! And I will get them by God, I WILL!!! :smiley:
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    I want @nables73 abs too! Not that anyone could ever actually see them under the post-multiple-birth-belly but I want them and will have them nonetheless by hook or crook! ;)
  • nables73
    nables73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @doodlebug32 and @SatiaRenee you are all making me blush! You set your mind to it and you will succeed! :smiley:
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    lk27 wrote: »

Exactly what I would have said!

A lot of people in my life think I'm fine the way I am. And sure, I'm at a healthy weight (a little high says my doctor) but I still want to improve. And I use to be 200 pounds so I know the struggle. You don't know where people have been - there is tons of support here. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    And, to be fair, the OP was made before @nables73 posted her images.

@dkwi04 I remember when I was working and wanted to lose weight and tone up. At first everyone was very encouraging but as soon as I started having any success, my coworkers started commenting on how I would just put the weight back on (I didn't until I was laid up in bed for over a year which I think anyone would have put on weight under those circumstances) or how I was getting too skinny (at size 8, I was hardly too skinny).
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Oops. Hit Post Reply too early.

@dkwi04 This is why intrinsic motivation and personal commitment are so important. Outside things, from the numbers on the scale to other people's negativity, can result in sidetracking our best efforts if we are not very careful.
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    you are so right! I am struggling big time right now. I keep gaining and losing the same .6 pounds. I am deflated for sure, but then I think about how amazing I feel and why I am doing this. And that I do look better and feel better and have more energy....this helps me push through that stupid scale! Although I really do wish she would give me something LOL
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. In some way everyone can improve something on this journey. Wether they look fit and toned or overweight. Who are we to judge why someone else chose to do this program or any other program. I look at everyone's success on here and get motivated. Sure I have off days, but who doesn't. No one is perfect.
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I am on my week 3 of 2nd round of 21DF exercise, having said that it took me a good 4 weeks to complete the first 21 days due to travel and out of town weekends without DVD players. I have not lost much in weight or inches for that matter, but I feel GREAT, and move so much better. I told my husband I'm really getting this stuff down. I don't know what I look like when I'm doing but "feel like I got it". (No still can't do surrenders even with the modifier - but still moving). I know if I were to be more consistent I would have more results, but for me its success because I'm doing something and feel good doing it.

I read these posts regularly. I rarely speak up (post) but find you all very motivating. :smiley:
  • nables73
    nables73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a very insecure person, but I am truthful and love to try and motivate people. It took a lot of courage to post pictures online and would never put it on my regular facebook page. Yes at 41 I was a healthy weight at 145 when I started the 21DF 3 weeks ago, but my pants were beginning to get tight and I did not want to buy the next size!

Heart disease is rampant in my family. I lost my father at 54 to multiple strokes and heart attacks. My cholesterol lingers around 200 at all times. So with that, being a healthy weight doesn't mean you're healthy :wink:

I'm just so thankful that I can pay it forward with this group to cheer people on and share my success with the help that it would motivate someone else. Thank you all that have said kind words, I was on cloud nine yesterday after seeing my final results!
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @mrsmuckster I will never do Surrenders. My knees were very clear about that the last time I tried. I'm just going to stick with my forward/back-lunge and be content.

@nables73 You hit the nail on the head about the courage it takes to post pictures. I was thinking about this whole thread last night and what about it was so hurtful to me. I realized, after much thought, that here I and one other person (@michellemybelll, I believe) had mustered up the courage to share our pics. That took so much vulnerability for me to do because while I see results I also see lumps and bumps of which I am not especially proud. So for me to set aside my ego and share my images and then have someone tell me that my doing that discouraged them . . . ? I mean, obviously that was never my intention. How could it be?

So when I said that the OPs post discouraged me, I meant it. Here I had done something that was so delicate for me and to have someone say something so negative about my choice to be vulnerable was very hurtful. I know that's not at all how she meant it and did not intend for me to take it that way. That was my reaction, however. And just as she is not responsible for my reaction, I am not responsible for her feeling discouraged by my showing my progress.

@nables73 You deserved to be on cloud nine for sure!