5/4 Day 74 Monday Movin May Day 4

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
Pick Your One Thing

Challenge: The goal of the Movin in May Challenge is to help us quit sitting so much and move more. Since we want to be sitting less long after the challenge has ended, it's important to find workable ways to sit less. It can't be something you hate doing or you won't stick with it. It's also important not to try and change too many things at once and make the whole process overwhelmingly hard. Today's challenge is to read this blog post: http://www.quittingthesitting.com/simple-plan-to-sit-less and select the one action you will prioritize this month. What's your “One Thing?” Try and do it standing!

Alternative Challenge: Walk 20 additional minutes today. You can do it all at once or break it up into smaller chunks if you wish.

Replies

• farbinkie
    farbinkie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of my time at work on the phone -- on speaker or my wireless headset. So I'm going to try and stand during calls.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to hear what you've got planned for your "One Thing"!
  • themedalist
    Options
    farbinkie wrote: »
    I spend a lot of my time at work on the phone -- on speaker or my wireless headset. So I'm going to try and stand during calls.

That's a great option! (And I will be responding to you today about your question on standing desks!)
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am walking around my house while brushing my teeth. Hope I'm tidy!
  • craftscout
    craftscout Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is actually really tough for me. Over the past year, on my journey, I have already changed my lifestyle so much. When I signed up on quitting the sitting, I said my one thing was to park at the back of the parking lot, but I already kind of do that. I just decided I would be more conscientious about it, doing it every time I can, not just every time I don't want to deal with finding a decent spot.

I think I will also replace my desk chair with one of our balance balls. It may be still sitting, but it's at least a core workout sit. :)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

I've pondered the opportunities by pondering when do I sit the most. Hands-down it's when I'm working at my desk which involves being @ the computer and on the phone @ my computer. THAT is what I will tackle: on the phone @ the computer. That is what gets me feeling the most sedentary & sluggish. I've created a habit of getting up & moving every hour, but if tied to a phone AND computer it's difficult. To accomplish: I need hands-free land-line phone capability ( headset of some kind??) & a tablet that runs on Chrome ( not my IPad). hmmmm. $$ required.

Gotta put my thinking cap back on for this one.

and! Anyone looking for a workout you can do while sitting down - I have one for you. sitting but at least moving. For times when you find yourself stuck.

Great challenge!
  • MnMalecha
    MnMalecha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pick. Practice. Persist. I like that.
    I am a sahm. I noticed my longed rest sitting seems to be when I'm doing laundry. I do a LOT of laundry. So today I am going to try standing while folding the clothes.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Day 4: I'm going to walk to the water cooler once an hour while working. I am not very good at drinking water (I prefer soda) so this will remind me to walk and to drink water. Right now I don't watch a lot of TV and I don't have the Internet/phone service at home, so I'm struggling to find other ways to swap sitting for walking. I am going to track my sitting today and see what I discover. :)
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm quite active already, but I did think of a habit I can change. Three times a week, I go to Jazzercise. Many times, those of us who arrive early, sit in the chairs outside to talk and visit. I will STAND outside before class from now on!
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Megan, that is a terrific idea to walk to the water cooler every hour and help with two goals at one time!
  • leger151
    leger151 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work at an aircraft facility so parking is a descent distance from my desk, but I'm going to start parking at the back of the lot. that's 1/4 mile from my desk. :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    I really like hearing your ideas! You are proving that there really are creative ways to sit less, get more steps in, and still do what needs to get done!
  • RLynn47
    RLynn47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I plan to walk the dog instead of just putting him in the yard to run in the evening
  • lynnsh98
    lynnsh98 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My plan is to walk around my classroom during my non teaching timeS. This should help me to not just sit at my desk or at the computer so much. I know we're only supposed to pick one but I also really like the park at the back of the lot idea. Since I don't drive many places (small town and I live in the middle of it all) when I do actually drive I tend to park as close to the door as possible. I might make my bi-weekly drive trips to the grocery store more fun By parking in the back of the lot and walking. That'll really confuse the Wal-Mart security cameras. Lol!
  • fitnatic130
    fitnatic130 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Walk competed im going to make my one thing to put away the laundry everyday not leave it in the basket to pile up I will do it standing up
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Walked 4 of the 6 working hours today... not bad. Did find that I sat and veg-ed at the computer during lunch when I probably could have done something else. Will brainstorm for a future time :)
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I find myself on my phone all the time. I'm going to try to stand or walk when I'm staring at it. It's pretty tough. Maybe if I'm
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    ***oops***
    ...uncomfortable I'll put it down more often!

I walked for an hour this morning, but I'm not going to do my 20 extra today. My body needs a break! I got a chiropractic adjustment on Saturday (first one in several years), and I'm still super sore. Resting is the best thing for me tonight!
  • DirtydianaP
    DirtydianaP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Instead of IMing my coworkers or dialing their extension I plan to walk yo them to ask the questions or make comments
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am really enjoying reading about your one things. My current one thing is standing while I'm Skyping. I play a 10 game word scramble game with my Mom twice a week via Skype that lasts about 90 minutes. I am getting to the point where I can almost stand the whole time as long as I'm shifting postitions ocassionally. And the awesome thing is now, after each game my Mom stands up and stretches. 10 stretch breaks right there!