How long to break in new running shoes?

Options
mzbek24
mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
It's now 15 days until my first Marathon, and my workout was just cut short by my runners hurting my right foot. Previous workout, they felt so hot and swollen on the toes of the opposite foot! If I get a new pair now, do you think it would be long enough for them to have broken in a bit before the race? I run 4 days per week.

I got them in December, after hearing good things about Asics. I noticed after a short time that they just didn't feel as comfortable as my previous Adidas runners, but figured they needed breaking in...but yeah, I haven't found them very comfortable this whole time, and my feet feel too hot and under pressure on the top of the foot in them, despite them being a half size bigger than my usual size.

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I don't break in running shoes per se, it's more of a case of going for a few runs to make sure they're comfortable and don't give me blisters. I would run a marathon on a new pair as long as I'd done one long run in them to make sure they wouldn't give me any unpleasant surprises during the race. If your shoes are hurting then I'd say they don't fit you properly. Did you have them fitted professionally? If yes, then take them back, if not, then do that next time - it really does help.

You may want to play with the lacing of your shoes. I have a high instep and it's very easy for me to cut off the circulation to my toes (resulting in a hot and numb feeling). I lace mine very loosely- just enough to stop the shoes falling off, there's no need for them to be any tighter. It's an odd sensation at first but as my feet warm up and swell I remain comfortable.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Most modern shoes don't need 'Breaking in' as such. I normally go for a few runs to check there's no issues.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Usually 10-15ish miles is more than enough for me to be comfortable running a marathon in them.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I don't break in running shoes per se, it's more of a case of going for a few runs to make sure they're comfortable and don't give me blisters. I would run a marathon on a new pair as long as I'd done one long run in them to make sure they wouldn't give me any unpleasant surprises during the race. If your shoes are hurting then I'd say they don't fit you properly. Did you have them fitted professionally? If yes, then take them back, if not, then do that next time - it really does help.

You may want to play with the lacing of your shoes. I have a high instep and it's very easy for me to cut off the circulation to my toes (resulting in a hot and numb feeling). I lace mine very loosely- just enough to stop the shoes falling off, there's no need for them to be any tighter. It's an odd sensation at first but as my feet warm up and swell I remain comfortable.

This. It should only take 1-2 runs to get a pair molded to your feet. There shouldn't be much of a breaking in period. I also have to lace my shoes very loosely. I loosen then quite a bit and take them on a short run to get the knots just right and then never retie them again. I'll usually get a new pair a little bit before a marathon (same brand/model as what I've already been using of course) and put about 15-20 miles on them pre-race and then they're good to go for 26.2!
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is maybe enough time to break them in. If the Asics are hurting your feet, then they will probably not feel very good during a marathon.

My advice is that if you can go to a running store and get a proper fitting (ie, gait analysis, trying on 10 different pairs of shoes and running around the block in them), then it is probably worth it to switch shoes. If you'd be pulling a pair off the rack at a sporting goods store, I'd stick with the Asics. The devil you know, and all.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Running shoes don't need breaking in, that is something that must be done with regular leather shoes.

That said, you don't want to start an important race or event with new shoes. You should run in them a couple times to insure they work well for you.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Running shoes don't need breaking in, that is something that must be done with regular leather shoes.

That said, you don't want to start an important race or event with new shoes. You should run in them a couple times to insure they work well for you.

+1 for this, they are fabric, they either fit or don't fit. Sometimes bargains are not what they seem.

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Typically for me not very long. I have actually run a 1/2 marathon on shoes fresh out of the box. Yeah not what everyone tells you but I didn't have an issue. I did change models recently and was talked into the insoles. The insoles didn't work for me and gave me blisters. Once I took those out my new shoes felt like a dream.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting another pair of the Adidas you had previously that you liked. If they are an older model you may be able to find them on clearance on Running Warehouse.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't break in new shoes, I save the new ones for races. If they feel wrong when you very first put them on, they won't get better, ever. They either fit, or they don't.