NS Food Tweaks

Options

Replies

• pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    kdubskwags wrote: »
    Send me a bowl and I'll get back to you. This looks delicious!

Thanks! Actually, I just had a bowl a little bit ago and got some veggies in! Since I posted this, I ended up calling the NS counselor and asked her this question, and based on my recipe she said this was a freebie! SOOOO, a varied way to get in some more veggies, and if I add a SC and a PF to it (can you say whole grain bread and some melted cheese), then I'd need to count it accordingly. I'm happy :)

Lemme figure out how to mail you some, and then wait for the mailman . . . :)
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    klriano wrote: »
    I've got a newbish question; I've just transitioned from the Fast5 to the regular women's plan so PF's & SC's are new for me. I love the "tweaks" and "twists" that take the NS food from meh to wow, and I pour over the recipes and forums for ideas. I also see people save a PF or SC to add to the tweak. The actual question is; Do you need to eat the PF's & SC's at the proscribed meal/snack or can you eat them at other times (Like save the breakfast PF for lunch ?) as long as you get them all in to meet your Calorie/Macro goals?

I'll be interested to read the answers you get to this as well, since I just made the same transition from FF to the regular women's plan last Wednesday. I don't want to give you incorrect advice, so take this with a grain. My understanding is that there is some method to it -- I think the desire is to get more of the proteins in earlier in the day rather than later as they will help you burn calories faster during the day (for example trying to keep your protein snack in the am rather than pm). I don't think you'll derail if you slide one over from time to time, but I probably wouldn't change them out all the time. Saving one also could put you in a position that you are skipping eating every 3 hours, which can lead you to getting hungry and over eating or indulging in things you shouldn't. I think you just need to be careful doing that, or at least how often you do that.

Let's see what our experienced comrades say . . .
  • mrs17alvarez
    mrs17alvarez Posts: 297 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've got a newbish question; I've just transitioned from the Fast5 to the regular women's plan so PF's & SC's are new for me. I love the "tweaks" and "twists" that take the NS food from meh to wow, and I pour over the recipes and forums for ideas. I also see people save a PF or SC to add to the tweak. The actual question is; Do you need to eat the PF's & SC's at the proscribed meal/snack or can you eat them at other times (Like save the breakfast PF for lunch ?) as long as you get them all in to meet your Calorie/Macro goals?

You can move them around as you'd like. For example, I usually have my NS breakfast, then have my 1st PF a couple hours later. Or I'll have my NS breakfast with half a PF and have the other half PF a little while later. Then I might have my mid-morning PF with my lunch (like adding extra chicken to the lunch cups) and save my afternoon SC to have with dinner.

So see what works for you. Just make sure you're eating everything you're supposed to (the meals, dessert, PF's, SC, and at least 4 servings of veggies) and make sure you're eating something every few hours so you don't get too ravenous.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Thanks! Actually, I just had a bowl a little bit ago and got some veggies in! Since I posted this, I ended up calling the NS counselor and asked her this question, and based on my recipe she said this was a freebie! SOOOO, a varied way to get in some more veggies, and if I add a SC and a PF to it (can you say whole grain bread and some melted cheese), then I'd need to count it accordingly. I'm happy :)

We like freebies.....ur my hero!!!!!
  • klriano
    klriano Posts: 24 Member
    Options

You can move them around as you'd like. For example, I usually have my NS breakfast, then have my 1st PF a couple hours later. Or I'll have my NS breakfast with half a PF and have the other half PF a little while later. Then I might have my mid-morning PF with my lunch (like adding extra chicken to the lunch cups) and save my afternoon SC to have with dinner.

So see what works for you. Just make sure you're eating everything you're supposed to (the meals, dessert, PF's, SC, and at least 4 servings of veggies) and make sure you're eating something every few hours so you don't get too ravenous.

Thank you SO very much! Exactly what I needed to know.
  • Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Yes as said you can move them around. I do believe there is some science to having them the way NS suggests. The other thing I would say and this is something I struggle with because I tend to b a late night snacker. Don't save or hoard as I put it your PF and Sc for days end. Too many calories late can slow me down. Still trying to keep the handle on this one myself.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    If you need a new condiment, take a look in your grocery store and see if they are selling Aleppo Pepper Sauce by Volcanicpeppers.com yet. They make it locally so I can find it in certain grocery stores here, but it's zero calories and 1 carb and is wonderful drizzled over a piece of steamed salmon! Not really hot, but very flavorful!
  • AdNil54f
    AdNil54f Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Wonderful idea! I'll have to make some, too! I love sipping on a brothy soup and French Onion is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing!
  • dottieketostrong
    dottieketostrong Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Since I hate cooking, I don't play with the food much. I did put the granola cereal in my protein shake. I put the chili over a half baked potato.
  • GoForthandBeAwesome
    GoForthandBeAwesome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you need to eat the PF's & SC's at the proscribed meal/snack or can you eat them at other times (Like save the breakfast PF for lunch ?) as long as you get them all in to meet your Calorie/Macro goals?

I just want to add that the eating pattern NS provides on the tracker is probably ideal for appetite control, but if you try to stick to it exactly every day, you'll probably overeat out of pure boredom! When moving addons around, though, always make sure to distribute the proteins throughout the day. The proteins digest slowly and tide you over longer, so spreading them out over the day really helps to curb your appetite.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You can eat them at any time as long as you get them in during the day. You can have dessert for breakfast and breakfast for dessert if you so choose at times. I'm from the old days when a protein was called a protein, etc., so if you want to save your greek yogurt from breakfast and eat it mid morning or even later, have at it. What NS wants you to do is to have small meals frequently throughout the day and then when the day is over, you have eaten a nutritionally balanced variety of food.

I do not have time at lunch to eat all the add ins, so I eat them much later when I have time. By having small frequent meals, you are keeping your blood sugar level, which eliminates spikes that leads to cravings and overeating. Protein or dairy products eaten in between meals definitely helps with maintaining a sense of satisfaction and wards off hunger. Proteins are harder to digest so they stay with you longer.
  • dreamer4045
    dreamer4045 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    On the NS blogs, I posted that using the vegetarian chili to make chili dogs makes a great tasting meal. But now that I'm used to smaller portions, it's too much at once! I'll have to make it in the afternoon and have it as two meals, which makes sense anyway since it uses both a protein and a 1 carb.

How are you guys playing with your NS foods?

(Please post only NS food tweaks here. Diet-compliant recipes that are not based on NS prepackaged foods can go on the Diet-Compliant Recipes thread, to make it easier to find what we're looking for. Thanks!)

That would also be good with the chilli in meat sauce. I may have to try this.
  • FunnyFit
    FunnyFit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chicken Alfredo & Turkey Bacon Ranch Rigatoni are made better using Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning and the pizzas are irresistible with sauteed onions on top :smile:
  • MarySG58
    MarySG58 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    FYI - Pals! Some of these I like and I am glad they are back!!
    Just saw on NS ~ Chef's Table Frozen Dinners are back!! Tilapia With Asparagus & Rice Spaghetti Primavera with Chicken Meatballs Grilled Chicken Sausage With Peppers Citrus Barbeque-Glazed Pork Creamy Orzo with Shrimp & Lobster Langostino Ginger Cashew Chicken Steak Tagliata
  • katbirdinoregon
    katbirdinoregon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just made a crockpot of Ratatouille, heated up the pouch of chicken parmasean and pasta and served it mixed with a cup of the ratatouille. I will freeze the rest of the ratatouille to have on hand when I need some vegetables. I just went grocery shopping so I have a variety of veggies right now. I find the ratatouille compliments a lot of the NS entrees.
  • MarySG58
    Options
    Just made a crockpot of Ratatouille, heated up the pouch of chicken parmasean and pasta and served it mixed with a cup of the ratatouille. I will freeze the rest of the ratatouille to have on hand when I need some vegetables. I just went grocery shopping so I have a variety of veggies right now. I find the ratatouille compliments a lot of the NS entrees.

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
  • MarySG58
    Options
    MarySG58 wrote: »
    FYI - Pals! Some of these I like and I am glad they are back!!
    Just saw on NS ~ Chef's Table Frozen Dinners are back!! Tilapia With Asparagus & Rice Spaghetti Primavera with Chicken Meatballs Grilled Chicken Sausage With Peppers Citrus Barbeque-Glazed Pork Creamy Orzo with Shrimp & Lobster Langostino Ginger Cashew Chicken Steak Tagliata

I checked the order menu, I don't see Chef's Table frozen dinners back yet! Some of the names of the entrees are listed but does not say 'Chef's Table'
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    Doctored up some Black Beans and Rice yesterday with some mushrooms and 2 oz of turkey sausage, along with a little Ms. Dash Garlic & Herb --- it was really good :) I didn't have it with me, but next time I think I use some southwestern spices instead.
  • AdNil54f
    AdNil54f Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Doctored up some Black Beans and Rice yesterday with some mushrooms and 2 oz of turkey sausage, along with a little Ms. Dash Garlic & Herb --- it was really good :) I didn't have it with me, but next time I think I use some southwestern spices instead.

Sounds good, Patty! I'll have to try that!
  • jrn8ion
    jrn8ion Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I put less water in it to get it thicker. Shred lettuce, dice onion, tomatoes and jalapenos. Put lettuce in a bowl, Add black beans & rice, top with onions, tomatoes and peppers. Add salsa, then I crunch the NS cheddar tortilla chips over the top, sometimes a slice of avocado (count as extra). Its my Mexi-Flare lol. The chips count as your dessert fyi.