Spring Into Summer Muscle Challenge!

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder for you gals: Please fill the spreadsheet if you wanna participate fully (and even if you're going halfway, no one's stopping you from filling in zero's on the baseline workout part!). Only have 3 entries atm! (4 if I include myself)
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    In and done!! Where do we post our before pics?
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Oh! And my goals are as follows:
    1. Increase my squat and deadlift from 65# to 100#. (Assuming my form stays solid with each increase)
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Why oh why does MFP cut off my posts???!!!
    2. Incorporate more of the spiritual into my whole body/kind/spirit health by meditating for 5 minutes each day.
    3. Lose the capris & free the quads!! I'm tired of wearing capri pants to hide my flabby quads and want to wear shorts and swimsuits confidently this Summer so need to lose the flab on my quads.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I will fill everything in today or tomorrow. I am swollen right now after my fun weekend unfortunately.
  • krokador
    Options
    In and done!! Where do we post our before pics?

This thread is as good as anything for posting the before pics :) I forgot to include a file upload on the form so we'll do with it ;)
    I will fill everything in today or tomorrow. I am swollen right now after my fun weekend unfortunately.

No prob, I actually won't have a chance to do much until Wednesday/Thursday night anyway, as it turns out. Being a responsible adult happens to be a time-consuming task... Whoops?
  • krokador
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SISM Week 1 - WOW (Workout Of the Week)

This is an oldie but a goodie! It takes anywhere between 7-10 minutes and requires only a single DB or KB (or heck, a sturdy beach back with a few books in it), and you can even do it with bodyweight only if you don't have access to a weight you can swing. I call it the

Swinging Burpee Burnout

For time, perform:
    - 10, 9, 8, 7, [...], 1 KB Swings
    - 1, 2, 3, 4, [...] 10 Burpees

Regressions for the swing:
    Total Body Extensions (as demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPuxltIo9Og)
    -- if you do this, double the reps!

Regressions for the burpees:
    Either do push-ups only (preferred option), or squat thrusts (burpees without the push-up). A "burpee" as defined here starts in a standing position, includes a push-up, and a jump when you get back up. You are free to transition your legs one by one rather than jumping down to and from the push-up position (switch legs every rep if possible)

Have fun with it! (I will add it to the doc tonight :))
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Why oh why does MFP cut off my posts???!!!
    This happens to me ALL the time, between MFP and my Kindle, I'm constantly getting kicked off and I'm always going back to edit my post! Frustrating as h***!!!
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Before pics. The flabby quads are worse in person
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm down with swings but I hate burpees (they give me a headache) so I'll do pushups. Do you alternate between the sets of KB swings and burpees? So 10 KB, 1 BP, 9 KP, 2 BP... ?
  • krokador
    Options
    I'm down with swings but I hate burpees (they give me a headache) so I'll do pushups. Do you alternate between the sets of KB swings and burpees? So 10 KB, 1 BP, 9 KP, 2 BP... ?

Yup! Concurrent ladders are fun! You get to be all like "Yay, almost no more reps... ugggh so many reps!" all at once hehe ;)

Obviously your time will be a little faster if you do push-ups but it's still a pretty kick-*kitten*, full body finisher. :)
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Am I too late to join? Just found out about it and I love (and need!) a challenge. My daughter is getting married in October and I'd love to be able to wear a sleeveless dress (well, and look good in it!).
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm still in, going to try and get in the baseline workout tonight or at latest tomorrow :)
    Can't wait to see how much can be improved in 7 weeks!
  • krokador
    Options
    justmytype wrote: »
    Am I too late to join? Just found out about it and I love (and need!) a challenge. My daughter is getting married in October and I'd love to be able to wear a sleeveless dress (well, and look good in it!).

Go right ahead! The more the merrier! :)
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Krok--can you explain the workout of the week again? Am I supposed to do this once during the week, or every day of the week, or every lifting day, or what? I am being kind of dense--I have been very busy at work and a big deadline looms tomorrow :-)
  • krokador
    Options
    Krok--can you explain the workout of the week again? Am I supposed to do this once during the week, or every day of the week, or every lifting day, or what? I am being kind of dense--I have been very busy at work and a big deadline looms tomorrow :-)

Just once during the week, at any time you feel is good for you. I would advise at the end of a workout, but it can be done on its own during a rest day. It'll get you out of breath and sweaty but should not affect your recovery too much if at all. Just make sure you warm up a little beforehand so you don't get hurt!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I just found out about this challenge too. I will think about my goals and will try to do the test tomorrow, if it's ok with everyone. Also, I'm on a full bloating blast right now, so will do measurements and everything, but I'm not sure if it will be representative.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Decided not to join in on the challenge after all.. Considering I just started lifting again, it'll be a challenge to stick to this new routine already.. Afraid I might overdo it when I try to reach too many goals at the same time.
    So for now, sticking with SL 5x5 en trying to go for a swim/run once or twice a week.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    @krokador - just wanted to check and see if you got my numbers. I submitted them Friday evening after the gym. Also, planning to do the weekly challenge Wednesday or Thursday :smile: Thanks again for putting all of this together!
  • krokador
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    @krokador - just wanted to check and see if you got my numbers. I submitted them Friday evening after the gym. Also, planning to do the weekly challenge Wednesday or Thursday :smile: Thanks again for putting all of this together!

Yup! You were the first to fill it all in! :)