Orthostatic hypotension from cycling and any fixes?

Options
Theo_Mellis
Theo_Mellis Posts: 30 Member
Slowly getting my miles back up over 100 a week now for about 2 months now.

After doing a really long ride or doing hill intervals I find myself having an occasional bout of orthostatic hypotension.

It's totally cycling related, just wondering if anyone else gets this and what the fixes are?

Replies

• 70k1
    70k1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get it sometimes right after a long ride. I assumed it was due to dehydration. If you find different or a fix post an update.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Well - I had to go look that up. I had never heard of it. In looking it up, I found this thread that might relate for you.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/racing-training-nutrition-triathlons/dizziness-when-standing-277337.html
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I get the odd bout of the dizzies if I stand too quickly after longer rides (say 4-5 hours) - it's pretty much always dehydration related in my case - it's tough in summer to actually carry sufficient liquids to keep properly balanced, and on a solo ride, there very often isn't anywhere safe to leave the bike outside whilst nipping in to purchase a couple of litres of water somewhere. If I wasn't riding on my own, at least I'd have someone to watch the bike while I raided the shops. Outdoor taps aren't much of a feature in his country... So, very often I'll get home having done 130-160km on 1.5L of water - way, WAY too little, and in combination with relatively low normal BP and a RHR in the mid 40's, it's easy to stand up "between beats" and go a little light in the head...

• okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    yep. fluids, with salts, slower pace and longer transition ( cool down) before hopping off the bike.
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    spent a night in hospital last year after passing out after a big meal - 4 or 5 hours after a ride. I try and stay hydrated and have started adding electrolytes to my water. My HR is quite high on my rides, probably doesn't help - but it's hilly round here!
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Slowly getting my miles back up over 100 a week now for about 2 months now.

After doing a really long ride or doing hill intervals I find myself having an occasional bout of orthostatic hypotension.

It's totally cycling related, just wondering if anyone else gets this and what the fixes are?
    Hydration!
  • oldbikegirl
    oldbikegirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist had me increase my sodium intake and also to use electrolyte tabs in my water when I ride.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Never had this problem until this year. Did a longer cool down and it worked!