You're not alone

AmeeSandhu
AmeeSandhu Posts: 120 Member
I know everyone is busy. I have fallen victim, too many times, to the thinking that once "this" is over, everything will settle down and I can focus more on my health/diet/workouts/sleep.

"This" for me has been a wide variety of activities and seasons. With teenagers in high school, a blended family of his & hers kids (5 total -three under the roof), Fall Sports, Winter Sports, Spring Sports, graduating, college, career, marriage...I could keep going and "this" will rarely if ever settle down.

I know I'm not saying anything new here and we all know this at our core, don't we? But it hit me again this morning that there is never going to be a perfect time to start taking care of myself and putting my health first.

I know I'm not alone and there seems to be a weird phenomena that when you really start to make a go of something, a plan, no matter what area of you life, something comes out of the woodwork to side line you. I'm not talking about excuses either but really frustrating events that make it sometimes physically impossible to carry out your plan. Like Holly here that got whomped with a kidney stone. Last week, I got food poisoning. Last year, I signed up for an online coaching session, and the very first day I woke up with what turned out to be a serious upper respiratory mystery infection that turned my life upside down for 6 weeks. I should mention too all of the rockstars in life that are really thriving and inspiring others while they have terminal illnesses, chronic illnesses, and they don't go around complaining or whining? So impressive and inspiring to me.

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly where I was going with this other than to say, no matter the situation, none of us have to go this alone. This little group has gone a little quiet. There was an exciting surge in the beginning and even I fizzled out there after the initial excitement faded away.

I'm not going anywhere though. Getting my daily workouts in is important to me to have a healthy body and I need accountability. I'm happy and my goal is met if I make just one friend that joins me in my journey and allows me to encourage them in their journey. Many friends will be merrier too!

What do you think? Are you with me?

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm in! And you're right-- there will never be a perfect time to do this stuff, so we have to just work it in as best we can. It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate! I'll be leaving my job at the end of May, so that's super stressful and scary, but it'll be for the best.

I've been reading everyone's updates though I haven't been contributing as much as I'd like. However, I'm reading everyone's updates and cheering you all on.

ETA: I just saw that the person who leads my fitness group on Facebook is doing a 14 day fitness & nutrition challenge. The guy is MikePXstream on my MFP friend list. Full disclosure, he's a Beachbody coach, but I'm not trying to sell anything and he's never put pressure on me to buy anything... if he did, I wouldn't be in his group! He's made recommendations, but never a full on car salesman thing. But his group and challenges have been fun and kept me motivated even when I didn't feel like following through. Just sharing in case any of you would be interested. :)
  • AmeeSandhu
    Bookworm, are you starting something new at the end of May? The fitness group sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thank you for the disclosure. I'm not a fan of obnoxious BB coaches but if they aren't pushy, I have no issues. (I was even one at one point!)lol!
  • bookworm_847
    I'm not sure if there's anything starting at the end of May. I can ask. The 14 day nutrition & fitness challenge starts on Monday the 4th, and there's another challenge going on right now. It was supposed to be a 60 day one, but it seems to be just sort of ongoing at this point since people are still posting.
  • I haven't done a very good job of posting lately, but I'm still here, and I'm with ya' !!! Seems like every so often I go through a stretch where I lose interest in logging my food and exercise, and unfortunately, my group participation suffers too. Time for me to get back on track with my own logging, but more importantly , to give my MFP friends better support, and encouragement !!!
  • bookworm_847
    I was just told that a new challenge will be starting around May 25th.
  • AmeeSandhu
    Bookworm, keep us posted as it gets closer.

Bill, I think we all go through the same phases. I know I do! I'm glad you're still here!
  • hollyelise68
    hollyelise68 Posts: 96 Member
    I hear you. Every time i get going I get sick or injured. Every time! Add in that I tend to be a perfectionist so if I cant do it perfect I will quit thinking tomorrow I can start fresh and get it right.

The end of 2013 i had a long run where i got my head in the right place. I took it one day at a time. No more starting over, i had the mentality that the next meal was my focus. So if i ate wrong instead of waiting until tomorrow I just made my next meal right.

I am sorry I have not been good at posting and encouraging others. I will do better.
  • AmeeSandhu
    Holly, no need to apologize at all. At ALL! we are all going to get busy, get bummed, get down from time to time, but we will be here when we can to support and encourage.

I like what you wrote about not starting over or waiting for the next day. You reminded me of something i heard, "Do the next right thing, right now. "