Had surgery Monday back home today!

Options
Merylk34
Merylk34 Posts: 54 Member
so glad to finally had my surgery Monday. Had some little bumps in the road, came out of surgery super nauseous and heart rate insanely low. Spent almost 5 hours in recovery. Finally get upstairs around 830pm and dealt with bouts of nausea. Did great was up walking feeling ok but sore. Then the first few hours of this morning I spent thowing up and dry heaving. Home now after finally being able to get 12 oz of water down and keeping it down. Struggling hard with getting my water in. Sip sip walk walk, but I keep falling asleep every time I sit down so I have to set a timer on my phone to get up. Anyone else run into that problem. Had my husband run out and get gas x strips a little while ago and that's taken a ton of pressure of my stomach.

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hang in there --- it gets better each day! I was very nauseous too and that made getting liquids in very difficult. Each day will improve 50% from the day before (what my surgeon said as she saw how green I was and it ended up being true for me). It will seem to take forever to get liquids in --- sip all day long. It will literally seem like all you do is sip for the first weeks! Best wishes.
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the beginning of your journey! The first week is a little rough, but I promise, it does get better each day. Just don't over-do it. Water is the most important thing right now, so just keep trying to get your fluids in. You'll do great!!
  • Merylk34
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's getting easier drinking water today. I'm noticing my neck hurts super bad. Anyone else have pain in their neck. Like it's super stiff
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was like that at the hospital until they took out the morphine drip. Once that was out, no more falling asleep everytime I sat down. Hang in there kiddo, it gets better and easier as you continue to heal.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, like everyone said each day will get better and better. We all have our own little bumps but before you know it you will be looking back and things will be behind you <3 Congrats on the being on the side :)
  • Merylk34
    Options
    Any tips on taking the vitamins and pills that need to be crushed. I'm seriously gagging them down. The taste and smell make me want to vomit. Do you mix it with something other then water?
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have the Flinstone vitamins which I could chew. The other meds I had were tiny pills, otherwise it would have been difficult to get them down. Hope you are feeling better every day.
  • joysie1970
    Options
    Merylk34 wrote: »
    Any tips on taking the vitamins and pills that need to be crushed. I'm seriously gagging them down. The taste and smell make me want to vomit. Do you mix it with something other then water?

I couldn't crush them either, my program allowed me to split them in half and swallow with a very small amount of liquid. My vitamins are chewable and my calcium is a powder. Check with your doc if you can split them with a pill cutter.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's getting easier drinking water today. I'm noticing my neck hurts super bad. Anyone else have pain in their neck. Like it's super stiff

strange as this sounds, your neck pain may be caused by the CO2 gas they pumped into your abdomen. occasionally some of the gas will migrate, usually to a shoulder, but it could have moved to your neck instead. one of the nurses in the group may have a better explanation
  • Merylk34
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »

I couldn't crush them either, my program allowed me to split them in half and swallow with a very small amount of liquid. My vitamins are chewable and my calcium is a powder. Check with your doc if you can split them with a pill cutter.

Maybe I will switch to chewable vitamins. Because I literally can not crush and get the vitamin down it just comes back up. I'm so glad there is so many people here to offer support. Thank you everyone.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congrats! As everyone said recovery is prob the least "fun" but will be over in the blink of an eye
  • joysie1970
    Options
    badhair56 wrote: »

strange as this sounds, your neck pain may be caused by the CO2 gas they pumped into your abdomen. occasionally some of the gas will migrate, usually to a shoulder, but it could have moved to your neck instead. one of the nurses in the group may have a better explanation

Mine sat right at the base of my throat - was horrible! Lots of walking and lots of patience <3 good news is when it clears you feel a thousand times better
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am exactly one week out and am amazed how much easier stuff is. Keep your chin up. You will go fine!
  • Merylk34
    Options
    Last night was really rough ended up going to the ER. Had a migraine and couldn't handle it anymore so spent a few hours in the ER. Back home early this morning and feeling good really hoping to keep getting better and not having any setbacks.
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used sugar free jello to take my crushed pills with. It still was not great but better than taking them plain. I also tried sugar free jello pudding but I did not like that as much. I hope you get on the upside soon. It does get better:) Hang in there.
  • Merylk34
    Options
    Today has been a great day. I'm getting in water in with problems. I got my vitamins down (that was still pretty rough) I used jello and it tasted better but still had to force it. Hopefully tomorrow is even better.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been taking these kids vitamins called "animal parade" they taste way better than flintstones and have more vitamins in them...they are also easier to chew and they are organic